Michael L Stanchina
Affiliation: Rhode Island Hospital
- Impact of CPAP use and age on mortality in patients with combined COPD and obstructive sleep apnea: the overlap syndromeMichael L Stanchina
Alpert School of Medicine at Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 9:767-72. 2013..From a large outpatient cohort we aimed to define better the risk factors for increased mortality in the overlap syndrome and hypothesized that CPAP adherence would be associated with improved survival in patients with overlap syndrome...
- The influence of lung volume on pharyngeal mechanics, collapsibility, and genioglossus muscle activation during sleepMichael L Stanchina
Pulmonary Critical Care Division, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass, USA
Sleep 26:851-6. 2003..We hypothesized that lower lung volumes would lead to increased pharyngeal collapsibility, airflow resistance, and, in compensation, augmented genioglossus muscle activation...
- The influence of white noise on sleep in subjects exposed to ICU noiseMichael L Stanchina
Pulmonary Critical Care and Sleep Medicine Division, Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School, 593 Eddy St APC 7, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Sleep Med 6:423-8. 2005..We hypothesized that white noise added to the environment would reduce arousals by reducing the magnitude of changing noise levels...
- The impact of cardiac resynchronization therapy on obstructive sleep apnea in heart failure patients: a pilot studyMichael L Stanchina
Pulmonary, Critical Care, and Sleep Medicine Division, Rhode Island Hospital, 1285 South County Trail, East Greenwich, RI 02818, USA
Chest 132:433-9. 2007..We hypothesized that through increased cardiac output CRT/pacing would reduce obstructive events and daytime symptoms of sleepiness...
- Lung volume and continuous positive airway pressure requirements in obstructive sleep apneaRaphael C Heinzer
Division of Sleep Medicine, Sleep Disorders Program BI, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:114-7. 2005..These results demonstrate that relatively small changes in lung volume have an important effect on the upper airway in subjects with sleep apnea during non-REM sleep...
- Genioglossus muscle responsiveness to chemical and mechanical stimuli during non-rapid eye movement sleepMichael L Stanchina
Sleep Medicine and Pulmonary Critical Care Divisions, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:945-9. 2002..When hypercapnia is combined with resistive loading, the muscle does respond. However, the possibility that higher levels of PCO2 or greater resistive loading alone could activate the muscle cannot be excluded...
- Association of lung perfusion disparity and mortality in patients with cystic fibrosis awaiting lung transplantationMichael L Stanchina
Lung Transplant Program, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
J Heart Lung Transplant 21:217-25. 2002..These patterns were compared with other pulmonary physiologic markers of ventilation and perfusion obtained from pulmonary function and cardiopulmonary exercise tests...
- Continuous positive airway pressure therapy for treating sleepiness in a diverse population with obstructive sleep apnea: results of a meta-analysisSanjay R Patel
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, Mass, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:565-71. 2003..Since the publication of these reviews, several randomized controlled trials have been reported. We, therefore, performed a meta-analysis to assess the effect of CPAP on subjective and objective sleepiness...