Celia M Lescano
Affiliation: Rhode Island Hospital
- Unsafe sex: do feelings matter?Celia M Lescano
Brown University School of Medicine, Bradley Hasbro Research Center, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Prev Interv Community 33:51-62. 2007..43). Self-efficacy regarding condom use during affective arousal is closely associated with HIV-related attitudes and behaviors. Clinicians need to be alert to subtle signs of distress as adolescents contemplate safer sexual behavior...
- Cultural factors and family-based HIV prevention intervention for Latino youthCelia M Lescano
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center of Rhode Island Hospital and Brown University, RI 02903, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 34:1041-52. 2009..In this synthesis of the relevant literature, cultural factors that have been identified as relevant to Latino sexuality are reviewed and implications for family-based intervention with Latinos are addressed...
- Condom use with "casual" and "main" partners: what's in a name?Celia M Lescano
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center and Brown Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Adolesc Health 39:443.e1-7. 2006..This study examined adolescents' attitudes about and behaviors toward condom use with "casual" vs. "main" sexual partners...
- A brief screening measure of adolescent risk behaviorCelia M Lescano
Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown Medical School, Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center, Rhode Island Hospital, One Hoppin Street, Suite 204, Providence, RI, 02903, USA
Child Psychiatry Hum Dev 37:325-36. 2007..These analyses suggest that the ARI can be useful in quickly identifying the broad range of risk behaviors found among adolescents with psychiatric disorders...
- Correlates of heterosexual anal intercourse among at-risk adolescents and young adultsCelia M Lescano
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Am J Public Health 99:1131-6. 2009....
- Parent-adolescent sexual communication: associations of condom use with condom discussionsWendy Hadley
Department of Psychiatry, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, RI 02903, USA
AIDS Behav 13:997-1004. 2009..Mental health disorders and family distress may make such discussions challenging but are not an insurmountable barrier to direct discussions about condoms...
- Suicide attempt and sexual risk behavior: relationship among adolescentsChristopher D Houck
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center and Brown Medical School, Providence, RI 02903, USA
Arch Suicide Res 12:39-49. 2008..A history of suicidal behavior can be identified by clinicians and appears to be an important marker for sexual risk, which may represent an expression of emotional distress or a passive form of self-injury for suicidal adolescents...
- Self-cutting and sexual risk among adolescents in intensive psychiatric treatmentLarry K Brown
Rhode Island Hospital, Department of Psychiatry at Brown University Medical School, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
Psychiatr Serv 56:216-8. 2005..Self-cutting is strongly associated with sexual risk behaviors, and adolescents who engage in self-cutting should be assessed carefully for sexual risk behaviors...
- Sexual abuse and sexual risk behavior: beyond the impact of psychiatric problemsChristopher D Houck
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center, One Hoppin Street, Suite 204, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 35:473-83. 2010..This study examined the association between sexual abuse (SA) and sex risk in girls and boys placed in alternative and therapeutic school settings while controlling for psychiatric problems...
- Frequency of adolescent self-cutting as a predictor of HIV riskLarry K Brown
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center, Rhode Island Hospital, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Dev Behav Pediatr 29:161-5. 2008..The present study aimed to test the hypothesis that adolescents who repeatedly self-cut would report more HIV risk behaviors and riskier attitudes than those who had engaged in infrequent self-injury...
- Safe Thinking and Affect Regulation (STAR): human immunodeficiency virus prevention in alternative/therapeutic schoolsLarry K Brown
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center of Rhode Island Hospital, and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:1065-74. 2011..It was hypothesized that STAR would lead to a decrease in sexual risk and improved HIV knowledge and attitudes...
- The association between depressive symptoms, substance use, and HIV risk among youth with an arrest historyMarina Tolou-Shams
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, One Hoppin Street, CORO West, Suite 204, Providence, Rhode Island 02903, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:58-64. 2008..However, little is known about the relationship between depressive symptoms, substance use, and HIV risk among youth who traditionally present with behavioral symptoms...
- Screening practices for adolescent dating violenceLarry K Brown
Bradley Hasbro Children s Research Center and Brown University Medical School, Providence, RI 02903, USA
J Interpers Violence 22:456-64. 2007..These data suggest that screening for DV is associated with consistent screening practices for other risk behaviors. Screening rates may be improved with training and adherence to specific protocols...
- "Islands of Risk": subgroups of adolescents at risk for HIVChristopher D Houck
Rhode Island Hospital and Brown Medical School, USA
J Pediatr Psychol 31:619-29. 2006..To use cluster analysis to determine profiles of adolescents at risk for HIV...
- Self-esteem and theoretical mediators of safer sex among African American female adolescents: implications for sexual risk reduction interventionsLaura F Salazar
Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA and Emory Atlanta Center for AIDS Research
Health Educ Behav 32:413-27. 2005..Self-esteem should be considered when designing and evaluating sexual risk reduction programs for this population...
- Family-Based HIV Prevention for LatinosCelia Lescano; Fiscal Year: 2007..An efficacious intervention is urgently needed for Latino communities. ..