Peter D Reaven
- Actos Now for the prevention of diabetes (ACT NOW) studyRalph A DeFronzo
Texas Diabetes Institute and University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, TX, USA
BMC Endocr Disord 9:17. 2009..TRIAL REGISTRATION: clinical trials.gov identifier: NCT00220961...
- Intensive glucose-lowering therapy reduces cardiovascular disease events in veterans affairs diabetes trial participants with lower calcified coronary atherosclerosisPeter D Reaven
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes 58:2642-8. 2009..This study investigated the hypothesis that baseline calcified coronary atherosclerosis may determine cardiovascular disease events in response to intensive glycemic control within the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)...
- Proliferative diabetic retinopathy in type 2 diabetes is related to coronary artery calcium in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)Peter D Reaven
Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 1892, USA
Diabetes Care 31:952-7. 2008..We determined the relationship between retinopathy and coronary atherosclerosis as measured by computed tomography-detectable coronary artery calcium (CAC)...
- Exenatide suppresses postprandial elevations in lipids and lipoproteins in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance and recent onset type 2 diabetes mellitusEric A Schwartz
Department of Endocrinology, Phoenix VA Health Care System, 650 E Indian School Road 111E, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Atherosclerosis 212:217-22. 2010..Therefore, the effect of a single injection of exenatide on postprandial lipids, remnant lipoproteins, and apolipoproteins was studied...
- The duration of diabetes affects the response to intensive glucose control in type 2 subjects: the VA Diabetes TrialWilliam C Duckworth
Phoenix VA Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
J Diabetes Complications 25:355-61. 2011..No significant benefit was found. This report examines predictors of the effect of intensive therapy on the primary outcome in this population...
- Glucose control and vascular complications in veterans with type 2 diabetesWilliam Duckworth
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
N Engl J Med 360:129-39. 2009..The effects of intensive glucose control on cardiovascular events in patients with long-standing type 2 diabetes mellitus remain uncertain...
- Nutrient modification of the innate immune response: a novel mechanism by which saturated fatty acids greatly amplify monocyte inflammationEric A Schwartz
Phoenix VA Health Care System, 650 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:802-8. 2010..The present study tests the novel hypothesis that metabolism of SFA cooperatively amplifies Toll-like receptor-4-mediated inflammation...
- Improvement of postprandial endothelial function after a single dose of exenatide in individuals with impaired glucose tolerance and recent-onset type 2 diabetesJuraj Koska
Department of Endocrinology, Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1028-30. 2010..Because exenatide reduces postprandial glucose and lipid excursions, we hypothesized that it may also improve postprandial endothelial function...
- Pioglitazone inhibits the expression of inflammatory cytokines from both monocytes and lymphocytes in patients with impaired glucose toleranceWei Yang Zhang
Department of Medicine, Section of Endocrinology, Phoenix Veteran s Affairs Health Care System, 650 E Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 28:2312-8. 2008..The current study determines whether pioglitazone (PIO) therapy reduces both monocyte and lymphocyte inflammatory activity and their ability to induce inflammation in other tissues...
- Fetuin-A does not explain ethnic disparity in cardiometabolic risk factors and subclinical atherosclerosis between Hispanics and non-Hispanic whitesIyad Syoufi
Department of Endocrinology, Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, Arizona 85012 1892, USA
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 9:77-9. 2011..The present study evaluated whether serum fetuin-A explains the ethnic disparity in the subclinical atherosclerosis and risk for diabetes between healthy Hispanic and non-Hispanic white (NHW) subjects...
- Pioglitazone reduces inflammatory responses of human adipocytes to factors secreted by monocytes/macrophagesPaska A Permana
Phoenix Veterans Affairs Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 296:E1076-84. 2009..These beneficial effects of Pio may attenuate proinflammatory responses resulting from monocyte/macrophage infiltration into adipose tissue and suppress tissue inflammation resulting from the interaction between both cell types...
- Pioglitazone slows progression of atherosclerosis in prediabetes independent of changes in cardiovascular risk factorsAramesh Saremi
Phoenix Veterans Affair VA Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 33:393-9. 2013....
- Rates and determinants of coronary and abdominal aortic artery calcium progression in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)Aramesh Saremi
Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 33:2642-7. 2010..To determine the predictors of progression of calcified atherosclerosis and the effect of intensive glycemic control on this process in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Lipolysis of triglyceride-rich lipoproteins, vascular inflammation, and atherosclerosisEric A Schwartz
Division of Research, Phoenix VA Health Care System, 650 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Biochim Biophys Acta 1821:858-66. 2012..This article is part of a Special Issue entitled Triglyceride Metabolism and Disease...
- Preliminary report: hepatic fat and inflammation in type 2 diabetes mellitusAramesh Saremi
Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Metabolism 59:430-2. 2010..These data support the concept that accumulation of hepatic fat is related to enhanced inflammation in type 2 diabetes mellitus independent of general measures of obesity and standard cardiovascular risk factors...
- Reduced coronary artery and abdominal aortic calcification in Hispanics with type 2 diabetesPeter D Reaven
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85012, USA
Diabetes Care 27:1115-20. 2004..To compare lifestyle factors, cardiovascular risk factors, and coronary artery calcium (CAC) and abdominal aortic calcium (AAC) levels in Hispanic and non-Hispanic white (NHW) individuals with type 2 diabetes...
- Does aggressive glycemic control benefit macrovascular and microvascular disease in type 2 diabetes? Insights from ACCORD, ADVANCE, and VADTToni Terry
Division of Endocrinology, Phoenix VA Health Care System, 650 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Curr Cardiol Rep 14:79-88. 2012..Glycated hemoglobin goals should account for these factors and be individualized for each patient...
- Intensive glycemic control and cardiovascular disease: are there patients who may benefit?Nalurporn Chokrungvaranon
Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Postgrad Med 123:114-23. 2011....
- Molecular and signaling mechanisms of atherosclerosis in insulin resistanceEric A Schwartz
Division of Research, Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, 650 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 35:525-49, viii. 2006..We review several key cell-signalling pathways, describe how they are activated in they insulin-resistant state and the damage they induce, and discusses possible therapeutic approaches to limit vascular damage...
- Postprandial hyperlipidemia, endothelial dysfunction and cardiovascular risk: focus on incretinsSameer Ansar
Department of Endocrinology, Phoenix Veteran Affairs Healthcare System, 650 E Indian School Rd, CS111E, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Cardiovasc Diabetol 10:61. 2011....
- Comparison of frequency of coronary artery calcium in healthy Hispanic versus non-Hispanic white men by electron beam computed tomographyPeter D Reaven
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85012, USA
Am J Cardiol 92:1198-200. 2003..These results demonstrate that healthy Hispanic men have reduced CAC compared with age-matched NHW men and this occurs despite evidence for a worse cardiovascular risk profile...
- Cardiovascular risk factors associated with insulin resistance in children persist into late adolescencePeter D Reaven
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Diabetes Care 28:148-50. 2005
- Palmitic acid induces IP-10 expression in human macrophages via NF-kappaB activationPhyllis S Laine
Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 358:150-5. 2007..These events in turn may lead to an increasing feed-forward loop of chronic inflammation...
- Improvements in insulin resistance with weight loss, in contrast to rosiglitazone, are not associated with changes in plasma adiponectin or adiponectin multimeric complexesFahim Abbasi
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Deptartment of Medicine, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 650 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 290:R139-44. 2006....
- Progression of vascular calcification is increased with statin use in the Veterans Affairs Diabetes Trial (VADT)Aramesh Saremi
Phoenix VA Health Care System, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Diabetes Care 35:2390-2. 2012..To determine the effect of statin use on progression of vascular calcification in type 2 diabetes (T2DM)...
- Heart protection study: LDL lowering therapy and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with low cholesterol levels or diabetesMrinalini Kulkarni
Department of Medicine CS 111E, Carl T Hayden VAMC, 650 E Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Curr Diab Rep 2:269-73. 2002
- Macrophage-secreted factors induce adipocyte inflammation and insulin resistancePaska A Permana
Research Service, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 341:507-14. 2006..These effects of macrophage-secreted factors on adipocytes may contribute significantly to the systemic inflammation and insulin resistance associated with obesity...
- Induction of monocyte differentiation and foam cell formation in vitro by 7-ketocholesterolJohn M Hayden
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine CS 111E, Carl T Hayden Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 650 E Indian School Road, Phoenix, AZ 85012 1892, USA
J Lipid Res 43:26-35. 2002..These studies also suggest that 7-KC induces monocyte differentiation through a sterol-mediated regulatory pathway that remains to be characterized...
- Quantification of 8-iso-prostaglandin-F(2alpha) and 2,3-dinor-8-iso-prostaglandin-F(2alpha) in human urine using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometryYuanling Liang
Kronos Science Laboratory, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 34:409-18. 2003..003 for 2,3-dinor-8-iso-PGF(2alpha), respectively). The excellent accuracy, reproducibility, and high throughput of this method should permit it to be used in large clinical studies and standard clinical laboratories...
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and atherosclerosis: from basic mechanisms to clinical implicationsZarmen Israelian-Konaraki
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Cardiol Rev 13:240-6. 2005....
- Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-alpha and atherosclerosis: from basic mechanisms to clinical implicationsZarmen Israelian-Konaraki
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Carl T Hayden VA Medical Center, Phoenix, Ariz 85012, USA
Cardiology 103:1-9. 2005....
- Urinary excretion of three nucleic acid oxidation adducts and isoprostane F(2)alpha measured by liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry in smokers, ex-smokers, and nonsmokersS Mitchell Harman
Kronos Longevity Research Institute, Phoenix, AZ, USA
Free Radic Biol Med 35:1301-9. 2003..Whether characteristic patterns of excretion of these indicators forecast differential disease risk should be explored in future research...
- Differential effects of metformin and troglitazone on cardiovascular risk factors in patients with type 2 diabetesNeelima V Chu
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, VA San Diego Healthcare System University of California, San Diego, California 92161, USA
Diabetes Care 25:542-9. 2002..Therefore, we investigated whether diabetes medications that vary in their mechanism of action and ability to reduce insulin resistance may differ in their effects on both traditional and novel CVRF...
- Discrimination between obesity and insulin resistance in the relationship with adiponectinFahim Abbasi
Divisions of Cardiovascular Medicine and Endocrinology and Metabolism, Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Diabetes 53:585-90. 2004..These results suggest that adiponectin concentrations are more closely related to differences in insulin-mediated glucose disposal than obesity...
- Plasma adiponectin concentrations do not increase in association with moderate weight loss in insulin-resistant, obese womenFahim Abbasi
Department of Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Metabolism 53:280-3. 2004..Adiponectin concentrations did not change with weight loss in either group. Thus, neither weight loss, per se, nor enhanced insulin sensitivity resulted in a change in plasma adiponectin concentrations...
- Exercise training is not associated with improved levels of C-reactive protein or adiponectinTaylor J Marcell
School of Human Performance and Recreation, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg 39406 001, USA
Metabolism 54:533-41. 2005..Moreover, improvements in insulin sensitivity resulting from exercise or modest weight loss did not appear to be related to changes in these markers...
- The relationship between plasma adiponectin concentration and insulin resistance is altered in smokersFahim Abbasi
Department of Medicien, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:5002-7. 2006..Low plasma adiponectin concentrations in smokers may contribute to the adverse consequences that occur in these individuals...
- Managing lipid disorders: further evaluation of the VA-HITZoltan Vajo
Curr Diab Rep 3:245-7. 2003
- Autoantibodies to oxidized LDL and cardiovascular risk: the Framingham Offspring StudyPeter W F Wilson
Medical University of South Carolina, 96 Jonathan Lucas St, Suite 815, P O Box 250609, Charleston, SC 29425, USA
Atherosclerosis 189:364-8. 2006..The relation between measures of oxidation of lipid particles and cardiovascular disease has not been extensively investigated prospectively on a population basis...
- Ethnic differences in the relationship between adiponectin and insulin sensitivity in South Asian and Caucasian womenMarlene Martin
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, California, USA
Diabetes Care 31:798-801. 2008..To assess whether lower adiponectin concentrations in South Asian Indians may be responsible for their greater degree of insulin resistance...