Jian Kang Zhu
Affiliation: Purdue University
- ..Understanding stress signaling and responses will increase our ability to improve stress resistance in crops to achieve agricultural sustainability and food security for a growing world population. ..
- Zhang Z, Mao Y, Ha S, Liu W, Botella J, Zhu J. A multiplex CRISPR/Cas9 platform for fast and efficient editing of multiple genes in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Rep. 2016;35:1519-33 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that the application of this multiplex CRISPR/Cas9 system will strongly facilitate functional analysis of genes pathways and families. ..
- Zhang H, Zhang J, Yan J, Gou F, Mao Y, Tang G, et al. Short tandem target mimic rice lines uncover functions of miRNAs in regulating important agronomic traits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:5277-5282 pubmed publisher..Our collection of STTM lines thus represents a valuable resource for functional analysis of rice miRNAs, as well as for agronomic improvement that can be readily transferred to other important food crops. ..
- Zhao Y, Chan Z, Gao J, Xing L, Cao M, Yu C, et al. ABA receptor PYL9 promotes drought resistance and leaf senescence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:1949-54 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover the molecular mechanism of ABA-induced leaf senescence and suggest an important role of PYL9 and leaf senescence in promoting resistance to extreme drought stress. ..
- Srivastava A, Lu Y, Zinta G, Lang Z, Zhu J. UTR-Dependent Control of Gene Expression in Plants. Trends Plant Sci. 2018;23:248-259 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate functional specificity in genes with variable UTR length and propose future research directions. ..
- Zhan X, Yang L, Wang D, Zhu J, Lang Z. De novo assembly and analysis of the transcriptome of Ocimum americanum var. pilosum under cold stress. BMC Genomics. 2016;17:209 pubmed publisher..Although most of the CBF pathway genes have orthologs in O. americanum var. pilosum, none of the identified cold responsive (COR) gene orthologs was induced by cold, which is consistent with the lack of cold tolerance in this plant. ..
- Zhang H, Tang K, Qian W, Duan C, Wang B, Zhang H, et al. An Rrp6-like protein positively regulates noncoding RNA levels and DNA methylation in Arabidopsis. Mol Cell. 2014;54:418-30 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that AtRRP6L1 functions in epigenetic regulation by helping with the retention of noncoding RNAs in normal cells. ..
- Lang Z, Lei M, Wang X, Tang K, Miki D, Zhang H, et al. The methyl-CpG-binding protein MBD7 facilitates active DNA demethylation to limit DNA hyper-methylation and transcriptional gene silencing. Mol Cell. 2015;57:971-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, MBD7 tethers the IDM proteins to methylated DNA, which enables the function of DNA demethylases that in turn limit DNA methylation and prevent transcriptional gene silencing. ..
- Wang P, Du Y, Hou Y, Zhao Y, Hsu C, Yuan F, et al. Nitric oxide negatively regulates abscisic acid signaling in guard cells by S-nitrosylation of OST1. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:613-8 pubmed publisher..6 is present in several yeast and human protein kinases and can be S-nitrosylated, suggesting that the S-nitrosylation may be an evolutionarily conserved mechanism for protein kinase regulation. ..
- Duan C, Zhang H, Tang K, Zhu X, Qian W, Hou Y, et al. Specific but interdependent functions for Arabidopsis AGO4 and AGO6 in RNA-directed DNA methylation. EMBO J. 2015;34:581-92 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that AGO4 and AGO6 mainly act sequentially in mediating small RNA-directed DNA methylation. ..
- Qian W, Miki D, Lei M, Zhu X, Zhang H, Liu Y, et al. Regulation of active DNA demethylation by an ?-crystallin domain protein in Arabidopsis. Mol Cell. 2014;55:361-71 pubmed publisher..IDM2 is required for the full activity of H3K18 acetylation but not H3K23 acetylation of IDM1 in planta. Our results suggest that IDM2 functions in active DNA demethylation and in antisilencing by regulating IDM1. ..