Allan V Prochazka
- A randomized trial of nortriptyline combined with transdermal nicotine for smoking cessationAllan V Prochazka
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
Arch Intern Med 164:2229-33. 2004..Smoking cessation rates with current therapy are suboptimal. Tricyclic antidepressants improve cessation rates. We hypothesized that addition of nortriptyline hydrochloride to transdermal nicotine would enhance cessation rates...
- Support of evidence-based guidelines for the annual physical examination: a survey of primary care providersAllan V Prochazka
Ambulatory Care Section, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver 80220, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:1347-52. 2005..Current evidence does not support an annual screening physical examination for asymptomatic adults, but little is known about primary care provider (PCP) attitudes and practices regarding an annual physical examination...
- The risk of overanticoagulation with antibiotic use in outpatients on stable warfarin regimensJeffrey J Glasheen
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:653-6. 2005..Medication interactions account for a significant proportion of overanticoagulation in warfarin users. However, little is known about the incidence or degree of interaction with commonly used oral antibiotics...
- Predictors of comprehension during surgical informed consentAaron S Fink
Atlanta Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 1670 Clairmont Road, Decatur, GA 30033, USA
J Am Coll Surg 210:919-26. 2010..Using data from our randomized trial of methods to improve informed consent comprehension, we performed an additional analysis to define independent factors associated with improved patient understanding...
- Differences in smoking duration between Latinos and AnglosEmily K Burns
Department of Preventive Medicine and Biometrics, University of Colorado at Denver and Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:731-7. 2007..We conclude that highly acculturated Latino smokers may be at greater risk of cigarette disease and death related to longer duration of smoking associated with lower socioeconomic status...
- Public expectations and attitudes for annual physical examinations and testingSylvia K Oboler
Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, 11B Ambulatory Care, Denver, CO 80220, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:652-9. 2002..Interest in these tests decreased substantially when the charges were known. CONCLUSION: Public desire for a comprehensive annual physical examination is high across the United States and is sensitive to charges...
- The association between processes, structures and outcomes of secondary prevention care among VA ischemic heart disease patientsP Michael Ho
Department of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 6:6. 2006....
- Long-term management after liver transplantation: primary care physician versus hepatologistJ Christie Heller
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, USA
Liver Transpl 15:1330-5. 2009..Future studies are needed to identify barriers to care in the treatment of metabolic complications post-transplant with the goal of improving long-term morbidity and mortality...
- Burnout and internal medicine resident work-hour restrictionsRavi Gopal
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Science Center, Aurora, CO, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2595-600. 2005..We evaluated rates of burnout in internal medicine residents before and after the implementation of the new work-hour restriction...
- Effect of levofloxacin coadministration on the international normalized ratios during warfarin therapy--a commentJeffrey J Glasheen
Department of Medicine, Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Pharmacotherapy 23:1079-80; discussion 1080. 2003
- Smoking cessation in pregnancy: failure of an HMO pilot project to improve guideline implementationLisa M Latts
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Denver, Colorado 80273, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 4:S25-30. 2002..A more comprehensive systems approach and a larger HMO market share or a partnership among multiple HMOs may be required to increase smoking-cessation guideline implementation...
- The spectrum of community-based hospitalist practice: a call to tailor internal medicine residency trainingJeffrey J Glasheen
Arch Intern Med 167:727-8. 2007
- Fulfilling the promise of hospital medicine: tailoring internal medicine training to address hospitalists' needsJeffrey J Glasheen
Internal Medicine Residency Training Program, University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine, Aurora, CO, USA
J Gen Intern Med 23:1110-5. 2008..In this paper, we outline the rationale for targeted training in hospital medicine and discuss the content and methods for delivering this training...