Brian J Balin
Affiliation: Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Effect of age and vaccination on extent and spread of Chlamydia pzneumoniae infection in C57BL/6 miceTaylor Eddens
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 4170 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA, 19131, USA
Immun Ageing 9:11. 2012..abstract:..
- Chlamydophila pneumoniae and the etiology of late-onset Alzheimer's diseaseBrian J Balin
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, Immunology and Forensic Medicine, Philadelphia PA 19131, USA
J Alzheimers Dis 13:371-80. 2008..This review focuses specifically on infection with Chlamydophila (Chlamydia) pneumoniae in LOAD and how this infection may function as a "trigger or initiator" in the pathogenesis of this disease...
- Role of infection in Alzheimer's diseaseB J Balin
Department of Pathology Microbiology, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Pennsylvania 19131, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 101:S1-6. 2001..pneumoniae is found in high frequency in glial cells in areas of neuropathology within the brains of patients with AD. Based on our evidence, nervous system infection with C. pneumoniae should be considered a risk factor for sporadic AD...
- Immunohistological detection of Chlamydia pneumoniae in the Alzheimer's disease brainChristine J Hammond
Pathology Microbiology Immunology and Forensic Medicine Department, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 4170 City Ave, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
BMC Neurosci 11:121. 2010..pneumoniae antibodies to determine whether C. pneumoniae was present in areas typically associated with AD neuropathology from 5 AD and 5 non-AD control brains...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae induces Alzheimer-like amyloid plaques in brains of BALB/c miceC Scott Little
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 4170 City Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19131, USA
Neurobiol Aging 25:419-29. 2004..pneumoniae may be a useful model for furthering our understanding of mechanisms, linked to infection, involved in the initiation of the pathogenesis of sporadic AD...
- Inhibition of apoptosis in neuronal cells infected with Chlamydophila (Chlamydia) pneumoniaeDenah M Appelt
Department of Neuroscience, Physiology and Pharmacology, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Philadelphia, USA
BMC Neurosci 9:13. 2008..Chronic and/or persistent infection of neuronal cells with C. pneumoniae in the AD brain may affect apoptosis in cells containing chlamydial inclusions...
- Age alterations in extent and severity of experimental intranasal infection with Chlamydophila pneumoniae in BALB/c miceC Scott Little
Department of Pathology, Microbiology, and Immunology, the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 4170 City Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19131, USA
Infect Immun 73:1723-34. 2005..pneumoniae titers in old animals than in young animals. Our results suggest that infection with C. pneumoniae may be more severe in old animals...
- Chlamydia pneumoniae infection alters the junctional complex proteins of human brain microvascular endothelial cellsAngela MacIntyre
Department of Biomedical Sciences, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, 4170 City Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19131, USA
FEMS Microbiol Lett 217:167-72. 2002..These events may underlie a mechanism for the regulation of paracellular permeability while maintaining barrier integrity during C. pneumoniae infection associated with neuropathologies such as MS and AD...
- NLRP3 inflammasome is a target for development of broad-spectrum anti-infective drugsJames D Thacker
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Drexel University College of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:1921-30. 2012....
- Modern care for patients with Alzheimer disease: rationale for early interventionKatherine E Galluzzi
Department of Geriatrics, Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, Rowland Hall, Suite 315, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19131 1633, USA
J Am Osteopath Assoc 110:S37-42. 2010..The authors briefly examine the rationale and methods for screening patients for early indications of the onset of Alzheimer disease. They also describe current and potential treatments for patients with this disease...