Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Lang C, Lynch C, Vary T. Alcohol-induced IGF-I resistance is ameliorated in mice deficient for mitochondrial branched-chain aminotransferase. J Nutr. 2010;140:932-8 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that whereas the sustained elevation in plasma BCAA is not sufficient to ameliorate the catabolic effect of acute alcohol intoxication on muscle protein synthesis, it does improve the anabolic effect of IGF-I. ..
- Steiner J, Crowell K, Kimball S, Lang C. Disruption of REDD1 gene ameliorates sepsis-induced decrease in mTORC1 signaling but has divergent effects on proteolytic signaling in skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2015;309:E981-94 pubmed publisher..Lastly, 5-day survival in a separate set of septic mice did not differ between WT and REDD1(-/-) mice. These data highlight the central role of REDD1 in regulating both protein synthesis and autophagy in skeletal muscle during sepsis. ..
- Lang C, Silvis C, Nystrom G, Frost R. Regulation of myostatin by glucocorticoids after thermal injury. FASEB J. 2001;15:1807-9 pubmed
- Lang C, Liu X, Nystrom G, Frost R. Acute response of IGF-I and IGF binding proteins induced by thermal injury. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000;278:E1087-96 pubmed..These results characterize burn-induced changes in various components of the IGF system in select tissues and thereby provide potential mechanisms for alterations in the circulating IGF system and for changes in tissue metabolism...
- Lang C, Frost R, Jefferson L, Kimball S, Vary T. Endotoxin-induced decrease in muscle protein synthesis is associated with changes in eIF2B, eIF4E, and IGF-I. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000;278:E1133-43 pubmed....
- Lang C, Frost R, Kumar V, Vary T. Impaired myocardial protein synthesis induced by acute alcohol intoxication is associated with changes in eIF4F. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000;279:E1029-38 pubmed....
- Lang C, Nystrom G, Frost R. Burn-induced changes in IGF-I and IGF-binding proteins are partially glucocorticoid dependent. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2002;282:R207-15 pubmed..TNFBP failed to completely ameliorate any of the burn-induced changes in the IGF system. These results demonstrate that glucocorticoids, but not TNF, mediate many but not all of the burn-induced changes in the IGF system. ..
- Lang C, Vary T, Frost R. Acute in vivo elevation of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-1 decreases plasma free IGF-I and muscle protein synthesis. Endocrinology. 2003;144:3922-33 pubmed..Hence, elevations in circulating and tissue levels of IGFBP-1 may be an important mediator for the muscle catabolism observed in various stress conditions. ..
- Lang C, Frost R, Svanberg E, Vary T. IGF-I/IGFBP-3 ameliorates alterations in protein synthesis, eIF4E availability, and myostatin in alcohol-fed rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2004;286:E916-26 pubmed..The data support the role of IGF-I as a mediator of chronic alcohol myopathy in rats. ..
- Lang C, Frost R. Endotoxin disrupts the leucine-signaling pathway involving phosphorylation of mTOR, 4E-BP1, and S6K1 in skeletal muscle. J Cell Physiol. 2005;203:144-55 pubmed..Hence, LPS working via a glucocorticoid-independent mechanism produces a leucine resistance in skeletal muscle that might be expected to impair the ability of this amino acid to stimulate translation initiation and protein synthesis. ..
- Lang C, Pruznak A, Deshpande N, Palopoli M, Frost R, Vary T. Alcohol intoxication impairs phosphorylation of S6K1 and S6 in skeletal muscle independently of ethanol metabolism. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2004;28:1758-67 pubmed..The IGF-I resistance may represent a participating mechanism by which alcohol directly limits the translation of selected messenger RNAs and, ultimately, protein synthesis in skeletal muscle. ..
- Lang C, Krawiec B, Huber D, McCoy J, Frost R. Sepsis and inflammatory insults downregulate IGFBP-5, but not IGFBP-4, in skeletal muscle via a TNF-dependent mechanism. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006;290:R963-72 pubmed..Finally, IGF-I appears to be a dominant positive regulator of IGFBP-5 gene expression in muscle under both normal and catabolic conditions. ..
- Lang C, Frost R. Glucocorticoids and TNFalpha interact cooperatively to mediate sepsis-induced leucine resistance in skeletal muscle. Mol Med. 2006;12:291-9 pubmed..Our data demonstrate the sepsis-induced leucine resistance in skeletal muscle results from the cooperative interaction of both TNFalpha and glucocorticoids. ..
- Lang C, Frost R, Vary T. Acute alcohol intoxication increases REDD1 in skeletal muscle. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2008;32:796-805 pubmed publisher....
- Lang C, Lynch C, Vary T. BCATm deficiency ameliorates endotoxin-induced decrease in muscle protein synthesis and improves survival in septic mice. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2010;299:R935-44 pubmed publisher....