Jennifer L Kraschnewski
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Is exercise used as medicine? Association of meeting strength training guidelines and functional limitations among older US adultsJennifer L Kraschnewski
Department of Medicine, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, United States Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Medicine, The Pennsylvania State University, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, United States Electronic address
Prev Med 66:1-5. 2014..To determine the association between meeting strength training guidelines (≥2 times per week) and the presence of functional limitations among older adults...
- Characterizing customers at medical center farmers' marketsJennifer L Kraschnewski
Departments of Medicine and Public Health Sciences, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA, 17033, USA
J Community Health 39:727-31. 2014..If farmers' markets can broaden their reach to more diverse populations, they may play an important role in contributing to community health...
- Paging "Dr. Google": does technology fill the gap created by the prenatal care visit structure? Qualitative focus group study with pregnant womenJennifer L Kraschnewski
Penn State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, United States
J Med Internet Res 16:e147. 2014..Little is known about how pregnant women engage with technologies and the interface between these tools and medical care, especially for women of lower socioeconomic status...
- Role of health information technologies in the Patient-centered Medical HomeJennifer L Kraschnewski
The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Dr, HO34, Hershey, PA 17033
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:1376-85. 2013..In addition, we will discuss the benefits and potential risks and barriers to employing these technologies, including privacy and security concerns, as well as describe next steps for future work in this important area. ..
- Development and evaluation of a brief questionnaire to assess dietary fat quality in low-income overweight women in the southern United StatesJennifer L Kraschnewski
Department of Medicine and Public Health Sciences, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
J Nutr Educ Behav 45:355-61. 2013..To develop a brief questionnaire to assess dietary fat quality, the Dietary Fat Quality Assessment (DFQA), for use in dietary counseling to reduce heart disease risk...
- Association of prenatal physical activity and gestational weight gain: results from the first baby studyJennifer L Kraschnewski
Department of Medicine and Public Health Sciences, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Womens Health Issues 23:e233-8. 2013..Prenatal physical activity is recommended, although its role in preventing excessive GWG is unclear. We sought to understand the association between prenatal physical activity and GWG in a longitudinal cohort...
- The epidemiology of weight counseling for adults in the United States: a case of positive devianceJ L Kraschnewski
Department of Medicine, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Cetner, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Int J Obes (Lond) 37:751-3. 2013..5-15.7)). In conclusion, a minority of PCPs provide the majority of primary-care weight counseling in the United States. Studies of these PCPs may help to identify practical methods to increase weight counseling in primary-care settings...
- A silent response to the obesity epidemic: decline in US physician weight counselingJennifer L Kraschnewski
Penn State Hershey Medical Center and College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Med Care 51:186-92. 2013..Current trends of weight-related counseling are unknown in the setting of the US obesity epidemic...
- Prospective association between body mass index and receipt of preventive services: results from the Central Pennsylvania Women's Health Study (CePAWHS)Jennifer L Kraschnewski
Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Prev Med 54:302-5. 2012..We examine whether overweight and obesity are associated with disparities in clinical preventive services receipt in a unique, prospective, population-based cohort of reproductive-age women...
- Efficacy of a weight-loss website based on positive deviance. A randomized trialJennifer L Kraschnewski
Department of Medicine, Penn State College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Prev Med 41:610-4. 2011..Incorporating weight-control practices used by individuals with long-term weight-loss success ("positive deviants") may improve the efficacy of web-based weight control interventions...
- "What my doctor didn't tell me": examining health care provider advice to overweight and obese pregnant women on gestational weight gain and physical activityMichael R Stengel
Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Womens Health Issues 22:e535-40. 2012..How health care providers counsel overweight and obese pregnant women on appropriate GWG and physical activity remains largely unexplored...
- A strength training program for primary care patients, central Pennsylvania, 2012Christopher N Sciamanna
Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Division of General Internal Medicine, H034, 500 University Dr, Hershey, PA 17033 e mail
Prev Chronic Dis 11:E107. 2014..Primary care providers can recommend strength training programs to use "Exercise as Medicine," yet few studies have examined the interest of primary care patients in these programs...
- Using positive deviance for determining successful weight-control practicesHeather L Stuckey
Department of Medicine, Penn State Hershey College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Qual Health Res 21:563-79. 2011..Using the extensive data involving both the practices and practice implementation, we used positive deviance to create a comprehensive list of practices to develop interventions for individuals to control their weight...
- The impact of physician weight discussion on weight loss in US adultsAndrew C Pool
Department of Public Health Sciences, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, United States
Obes Res Clin Pract 8:e131-9. 2014..We hypothesized that physician discussion of patients’ being overweight is associated with increased weight loss in patients with overweight and obesity...
- Medical center farmers markets: a strategic partner in the patient-centered medical homeDaniel R George
Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities, Penn State College of Medicine, 500 University Dr, Hershey, PA 17033 e mail
Prev Chronic Dis 10:E127. 2013..The number of medical center-based farmers markets has increased in the past decade, but little is known about how such organizations contribute to the preventive health goals of the patient-centered medical home...
- Dangers and opportunities for social media in medicineDaniel R George
Department of Humanities, Penn State Hershey College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
Clin Obstet Gynecol 56:453-62. 2013..Finally, it describes the most promising avenues through which professionals can use social media in medicine-improving patient communication, enhancing professional development, and contributing to public health research and service. ..
- Public health potential of farmers' markets on medical center campuses: a case study from Penn State Milton S. Hershey Medical CenterDaniel R George
Department of Humanities, Pennsylvania State College of Medicine, Hershey, USA
Am J Public Health 101:2226-32. 2011....
- Engineering online and in-person social networks to sustain physical activity: application of a conceptual modelLiza S Rovniak
Departments of Medicine and Public Health Sciences, Penn State College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, USA
BMC Public Health 13:753. 2013....