Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Disparities in smoking cessation among U.S. adults with a history of asthmaGary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Ann Behav Med 33:312-7. 2007..Socioeconomic status (SES) and racial-ethnic disparities in smoking cessation among U.S. adults with a history of asthma have received limited attention...
- Regional variation in smoking among African AmericansG King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Penn State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16801, USA
Prev Med 29:126-32. 1999..The impact of geographic region and metropolitan residence on smoking prevalence among African Americans has not been adequately examined...
- Heterogeneity in the smoking behavior of African American womenGary King
The Pennsylvania State University, 315 E Health and Human Development, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Am J Health Behav 30:237-46. 2006..To assess the association between sociodemographic variables and smoking behavior patterns of African American women...
- Opinions of African Americans about tobacco industry philanthropyGary King
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Prev Med 45:464-70. 2007..To investigate African Americans' opinions about the philanthropic contributions of the tobacco industry to Black organizations...
- Personal space smoking restrictions among African AmericansGary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Am J Prev Med 28:33-40. 2005..This paper investigates the association between implementing a personal space smoking restriction for the home or automobile, and various sociodemographic, social, behavioral, and attitudinal variables...
- Disparities in smoking cessation between African Americans and Whites: 1990-2000Gary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Pennsylvania State University, 315 East Health and Human Development, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Am J Public Health 94:1965-71. 2004..We examined disparities in smoking cessation rates between African Americans and Whites from 1990 through 2000...
- Smoking in Maywood: the unhealthy southern migrant hypothesis among African AmericansG King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Penn State University, State College 16802, USA
Ethn Dis 11:540-7. 2001..This paper examines the "unhealthy Southern migrant" hypothesis with regard to cigarette smoking among African Americans...
- Link between facultative melanin and tobacco use among African AmericansGary King
Pennsylvania State University, PA, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 92:589-96. 2009..This analysis may have important implications for research and interventions on tobacco dependence and disease outcomes. Further research on melanin and nicotine among African Americans as well as other population groups is warranted...
- African Americans' attitudes toward cigarette excise taxesGary King
315 Health and Human Development East, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Am J Public Health 93:828-34. 2003..This study examined African Americans' opinions regarding cigarette excise taxes and other tobacco control issues...
- Smoking in Cape Town: community influences on adolescent tobacco useGary King
University of Cape Town, South Africa
Prev Med 36:114-23. 2003..This paper examines the effect of pro- and antisocial opinions about communities on cigarette use by Black, Colored, and White 8th- and 11th-grade students in Cape Town, South Africa...
- The Master Settlement Agreement and African Americans: opinions about the allocation of resourcesGary King
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania, USA
Health Promot Pract 5:135S-142S. 2004..S. society...
- Determinants of previous HIV testing and knowledge of partner's HIV status among men attending a voluntary counseling and testing clinic in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaDonaldson Conserve
1The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Am J Mens Health 7:450-60. 2013..The low rate of VCT use among men underscores the need for more intensive initiatives to target men and remove the barriers that prevent HIV disclosure. ..
- Bias in a binary risk behaviour model subject to inconsistent reports and dropout in a South African high school cohort studyPerpetual Chikobvu
University of Cape Town, South Africa
Stat Med 28:494-509. 2009..The inverse probability weighting approach is more precise and is suitable for this setting in order to determine risk factors for the incidence of self-reported substance used in a cohort with a high dropout rate...
- Substance abuse and behavioral correlates of sexual assault among South African adolescentsGary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, 315 HHDE, Penn State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Child Abuse Negl 28:683-96. 2004....
- A systematic literature review of tobacco use among adults 15 years and older in sub-Saharan AfricaLoraine Townsend
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health and Adolescent Health Research Institute, University of Cape Town, E36A Groote Schuur Hospital, Observatory, Cape Town 7925, South Africa
Drug Alcohol Depend 84:14-27. 2006..The purpose of this review is to synthesize the available prevalence data on current tobacco use among adults in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA)...
- Associations between maternal closeness, suicidal ideation, and risk behaviors in Cape TownTamika D Gilreath
Dept of Biobehavorial Health, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Eur Child Adolesc Psychiatry 18:174-9. 2009....
- A systematic review of the relationship between high school dropout and substance useLoraine Townsend
Department of Psychiatry and Mental Health, and Adolescent Health Research Institute, University of Cape Town, Rondebosch, Cape Town, South Africa
Clin Child Fam Psychol Rev 10:295-317. 2007....
- Correlates of sexual abuse and smoking among French adultsGary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, 315 East Henderson Building, The Pennsylvania State University, State College, PA 16802, USA
Child Abuse Negl 30:709-23. 2006..The goal of this study was to examine the association between sexual abuse (SA) and initiation, cessation, and current cigarette smoking among a large representative adult population in France...
- Cigarette smoking and alcohol use as predictors of HIV testing in the United States: results from the 2010 National Health Interview SurveyDonaldson Conserve
a Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
AIDS Care 26:842-9. 2014..This study demonstrated that among the full sample and African Americans, cigarette smoking and alcohol use were significantly associated with HIV testing regardless of HIV risk perceptions...
- Condom use among HIV-positive sexually active adults and partner's HIV status in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaDonaldson Conserve
Department of Biobehavioral Health, The Pennsylvania State University Penn State, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 23:191-203. 2012..Future efforts to prevent new HIV infections should aim to increase condom use, and prevention practices that facilitate HIV-positive individuals to communicate their HIV status with partners...
- Substantiation as a multitier process: the results of a NIS-3 analysisGary King
Department of Biobehavioral Health, Penn State University, USA
Child Maltreat 8:173-82. 2003..Previous studies on child maltreatment reporting have focused mainly on one level of substantiation. This article analyzes factors influencing the multitiered substantiation process...
- Eliminating tobacco-related health disparities: directions for future researchPebbles Fagan
Tobacco Control Research Branch, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 7337, USA
Am J Public Health 94:211-7. 2004..These recommendations will ultimately help guide the field in reducing and eliminating tobacco-related disparities in the United States...
- Gender differences in depression and smoking among youth in Cape Town, South AfricaAnita F Fernander
Department of Behavioral Science, College of Medicine, University of Kentucky, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0086, USA
Ethn Dis 16:41-50. 2006..This paper examines gender differences in the association between depression, racially classified social group (RCSG) status, social amenities, and grade level with smoking among South African youth in Cape Town...
- A "politically robust" experimental design for public policy evaluation, with application to the Mexican universal health insurance programGary King
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University, USA
J Policy Anal Manage 26:479-506. 2007..The evaluation is also large scale, constituting one of the largest policy experiments to date and what may be the largest randomized health policy experiment ever...
- Achieving high rates of consent for genetic testing among African American smokersLisa Sanderson Cox
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Kansas City, KS 66160, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 9:711-6. 2007..Findings support the inclusion of African Americans within genetic investigation of tobacco use and treatment...
- Concordance rates for smoking among African-American twinsKeith E Whitfield
Department of Psychology and Neuroscience, Duke University, P O Box 90085 Sociology Psychology Building, Durham, NC 27705, USA
J Natl Med Assoc 99:213-7. 2007..The goal of the current investigation was to examine the proportion of genetic and environmental influences on smoking in a sample of adult African-American twins...
- Smoking by French general practitioners: behaviour, attitudes and practiceLoic Josseran
Service de Sante Publique, Hopital de la Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83 bvd de l hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Eur J Public Health 15:33-8. 2005..This paper examines smoking prevalence, sociodemographic factors and the medical practice of French general practitioners...
- Estimating risk and rate levels, ratios and differences in case-control studiesGary King
Department of Government, Harvard University, Global Programme on Evidence for Health Policy, World Health Organization, Center for Basic Research in the Social Sciences, 34 Kirkland Street, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Stat Med 21:1409-27. 2002....
- Role of parental monitoring in understanding the benefits of parental acceptance on adolescent adherence and metabolic control of type 1 diabetesCynthia A Berg
Department of Psychology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT 84112, USA
Diabetes Care 31:678-83. 2008....
- Leisure boredom and high school dropout in Cape Town, South AfricaLisa Wegner
HIV AIDS Program, University of the Western Cape, Private Bag X17, Bellville 7535, South Africa
J Adolesc 31:421-31. 2008..Further research is needed to investigate the longitudinal association between leisure boredom and school dropout...
- Social networks' influence on tobacco use among students in Dar es Salaam, TanzaniaPamela Kaduri
Department of Psychiatry, Muhimbili University College of Health Sciences, Tanzania
Promot Educ 12:66-70. 2005
- Addressing tobacco-related health disparitiesEric T Moolchan
National Institute on Drug Abuse, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Addiction 102:30-42. 2007..We will show the importance of an approach that integrates the human life-cycle (developmental) and tobacco addiction cycle (behavioral) for interventions that address group-specific vulnerabilities...
- Death by survey: estimating adult mortality without selection bias from sibling survival dataEmmanuela Gakidou
Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Demography 43:569-85. 2006....