Genomes and Genes
S R Kimball
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Dennis M, Coleman C, Berg A, Jefferson L, Kimball S. REDD1 enhances protein phosphatase 2A-mediated dephosphorylation of Akt to repress mTORC1 signaling. Sci Signal. 2014;7:ra68 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results demonstrate that REDD1 acts not only as a repressor of mTORC1 but also as a constant modulator of the phosphorylation of Akt in response to growth factors and nutrients. ..
- Martin T, Dennis M, Gordon B, Kimball S, Jefferson L. mTORC1 and JNK coordinate phosphorylation of the p70S6K1 autoinhibitory domain in skeletal muscle following functional overloading. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2014;306:E1397-405 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results provide evidence that the mTORC1 and JNK signaling pathways coordinate the site-specific phosphorylation of p70S6K1. They also identify a novel role for mTORC1 and mTORC2 in the inhibition of JNK. ..
- Kimball S, Jefferson L. Induction of REDD1 gene expression in the liver in response to endoplasmic reticulum stress is mediated through a PERK, eIF2? phosphorylation, ATF4-dependent cascade. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2012;427:485-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the induction of REDD1 gene expression was shown to require the protein kinase PERK and enhanced phosphorylation of its substrate, the ?-subunit of eukaryotic initiation factor 2. ..
- Kimball S, Do A, Kutzler L, Cavener D, Jefferson L. Rapid turnover of the mTOR complex 1 (mTORC1) repressor REDD1 and activation of mTORC1 signaling following inhibition of protein synthesis. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:3465-75 pubmed
- Kimball S, Siegfried B, Jefferson L. Glucagon represses signaling through the mammalian target of rapamycin in rat liver by activating AMP-activated protein kinase. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:54103-9 pubmed..Amino acids also enhance AMPK phosphorylation, although to a lesser extent than glucagon and amino acids combined. ..
- Kimball S, Fabian J, Pavitt G, Hinnebusch A, Jefferson L. Regulation of guanine nucleotide exchange through phosphorylation of eukaryotic initiation factor eIF2alpha. Role of the alpha- and delta-subunits of eiF2b. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:12841-5 pubmed..The results provide the first direct biochemical evidence that the alpha- and delta-subunits of eIF2B are involved in mediating the effect of substrate phosphorylation. ..
- Kimball S, Abbas A, Jefferson L. Melatonin represses oxidative stress-induced activation of the MAP kinase and mTOR signaling pathways in H4IIE hepatoma cells through inhibition of Ras. J Pineal Res. 2008;44:379-86 pubmed publisher..Overall, the results suggest that melatonin acts to prevent many of the H(2)O(2)-induced alterations in the MAPK and mTOR signaling pathways through inhibition of Ras, at least in H4IIE hepatoma cells. ..
- Kimball S, Horetsky R, Ron D, Jefferson L, Harding H. Mammalian stress granules represent sites of accumulation of stalled translation initiation complexes. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 2003;284:C273-84 pubmed..Finally, we also show that stress granules contain many, if not all, of the components of the 48S preinitiation complex, but not 60S ribosomal subunits, suggesting that they represent stalled translation initiation complexes. ..
- Kimball S, Jefferson L, Nguyen H, Suryawan A, Bush J, Davis T. Feeding stimulates protein synthesis in muscle and liver of neonatal pigs through an mTOR-dependent process. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2000;279:E1080-7 pubmed..However, in skeletal muscle, these two processes may account for only part of the stimulation of protein synthesis, and thus additional steps may be involved in the response...