Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Patients' request for and emergency physicians' prescription of antimicrobial prophylaxis for anthrax during the 2001 bioterrorism-related outbreakNkuchia M M'ikanatha
Division of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Pennsylvania Department of Health, Harrisburg, PA, USA
BMC Public Health 5:2. 2005..However, little is documented about the extent to which individuals with self-identified risk of anthrax exposure approached physicians for antimicrobial prophylaxis during the 2001 bioterrorism attacks in the United States...
- Actinomyces viscosus endocarditis requiring aortic valve replacementKathleen G Julian
Division of Infectious Diseases, BMR Bldg, Room C6833, Mailcode H036, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033 USA
J Infect 50:359-62. 2005..Months later when she required aortic valve and root replacement, histologic exam of the diseased valve revealed branching filamentous organisms and the original blood isolates were retrospectively confirmed to be Actinomyces viscosus...
- Early season crow mortality as a sentinel for West Nile virus disease in humans, northeastern United StatesKathleen G Julian
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 2:145-55. 2002..6). An assessment of this model using 2001 surveillance data from 61 counties yielded similar findings. With emphasis on early season WN activity, crow surveillance may allow timely targeting of interventions to protect the public health...
- Aseptic meningitis epidemic during a West Nile virus avian epizooticKathleen G Julian
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:1082-8. 2003..No WNV meningitis cases were identified. Even in areas of WNV epizootics, enteroviruses continue to be important causative agents of aseptic meningitis...
- Characterization of a daptomycin-nonsusceptible vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus strain in a patient with endocarditisKathleen Julian
Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Room C6833, BMR Bldg, Mailcode H036, 500 University Dr, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 51:3445-8. 2007..The daptomycin-nonsusceptible VISA's cell wall demonstrated a reduction in muramic acid O-acetylation, a phenotypic parameter not previously reported for VISA; some isolates also contained a single point mutation in the mprF gene...
- First year of mandatory reporting of healthcare-associated infections, Pennsylvania: an infection control-chart abstractor collaborationKathleen G Julian
Division of Infectious Diseases, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:926-30. 2006..In 2004, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania mandated hospitals to report healthcare-associated infections (HAIs). The increased workload led our Infection Control staff to collaborate with Atlas, a group of chart abstractors...
- Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in the absence of vancomycin exposureCynthia J Whitener
The Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, Pennsylvania 17033, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:1049-55. 2004..For clinical and public health reasons, it is essential that microbiology laboratories adequately test for vancomycin-resistance in S. aureus...
- Implementing an electronically based, nurse-driven pneumococcal vaccination protocol for inpatientsJoseph J Kishel
Division of Infectious Diseases, Pharmacy, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, 500 University Drive, H079, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 66:1304-8. 2009..The development and implementation of an electronically based, nurse-driven pneumococcal vaccination protocol for hospitalized patients are described...
- Molecular and epidemiologic characteristics of linezolid-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci at a tertiary care hospitalKlaudia Kosowska-Shick
Department of Pathology, Penn State Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 68:34-9. 2010..The increase in linezolid-resistant coagulase-negative staphylococci correlated with nosocomial transmission of selected mutated strains in patients who had received linezolid...
- Early-season avian deaths from West Nile virus as warnings of human infectionStephen C Guptill
U S Geological Survey, Reston, Virginia 20192, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 9:483-4. 2003....
- Attitudes of healthcare workers and patients toward individualized hand hygiene remindersKathleen G Julian
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 29:781-2. 2008
- Sources of bioterrorism information among emergency physicians during the 2001 anthrax outbreakNkuchia M M'ikanatha
Pennsylvania Department of Health, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA
Biosecur Bioterror 1:259-65. 2003