Donna Marie Fick
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Recognizing delirium superimposed on dementia: assessing nurses' knowledge using case vignettesDonna M Fick
School of Nursing, Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802 6508, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 33:40-7; quiz 48-9. 2007..Interventions and educational programs designed to increase nursing awareness of DSD symptoms could help to decrease this gap in nursing knowledge...
- Study protocol for the recreational stimulation for elders as a vehicle to resolve delirium superimposed on dementia (Reserve For DSD) trialAnn M Kolanowski
School of Nursing, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Trials 12:119. 2011..Our primary aim in this trial is to test the efficacy of Recreational Stimulation for Elders as a Vehicle to resolve DSD (RESERVE- DSD)...
- High prevalence of central nervous system medications in community-dwelling older adults with dementia over a three-year periodD Fick
The Pennsylvania State University School of Nursing, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Aging Ment Health 11:588-95. 2007..This study illustrates the need to further examine inappropriate CNS-active medication use in PWD and to test non-pharmacologic therapies for the clinical problems that initiate their use in PWD...
- Delirium in early-stage alzheimer's disease: enhancing cognitive reserve as a possible preventive measureDonna M Fick
School of Nursing, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 35:30-8. 2009..An agenda for future research on interventions to prevent delirium in individuals with early-stage AD is also presented...
- Delirium superimposed on dementia in a community-dwelling managed care population: a 3-year retrospective study of occurrence, costs, and utilizationDonna M Fick
Medical College of Georgia School of Medicine, Center for Healthcare Improvement, and Office of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Augusta, GA, USA
J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 60:748-53. 2005..The purpose of this study was to examine the 3-year occurrence, healthcare utilization, and costs associated with delirium superimposed on dementia in community-dwelling persons...
- Computerized decision support for delirium superimposed on dementia in older adultsDonna M Fick
Pennsyvania State University School of Nursing, University Park, PA, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 37:39-47. 2011..Success of this effort may encourage similar use of information technology in other settings...
- A preliminary study of anticholinergic burden and relationship to a quality of life indicator, engagement in activities, in nursing home residents with dementiaAnn Kolanowski
School of Nursing, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 10:252-7. 2009....
- A randomized study to decrease the use of potentially inappropriate medications among community-dwelling older adults in a southeastern managed care organizationDonna M Fick
Department of Medicine and Center for Healthcare Improvement, Medical College of Georgia, Atlanta, GA, USA
Am J Manag Care 10:761-8. 2004....
- An intervention for delirium superimposed on dementia based on cognitive reserve theoryAnn M Kolanowski
School of Nursing, Pennsylvania State University, 106 Health and Human Development East, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Aging Ment Health 14:232-42. 2010....
- Reframing person-centered nursing care for persons with dementiaJanice Penrod
The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Res Theory Nurs Pract 21:57-72. 2007..Clinical application of the NDB promotes a new level of praxis, or thoughtful action, in the care of persons with dementia...
- Are nurses recognizing delirium? A systematic reviewMelinda R Steis
School of Nursing, College of Health and Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 34:40-8. 2008..Recommendations for practice are suggested at several levels, including education, guidelines, communication, health care system, and use of informatics...
- Creating cross-disciplinary research alliances to advance nursing scienceSusan J Loeb
College of Health and Human Development, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
J Nurs Scholarsh 40:195-201. 2008..To demonstrate the utility of a developmental approach to building and sustaining cross-disciplinary research alliances...
- How to try this: Delirium superimposed on dementiaDonna Marie Fick
School of Nursing, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA, USA
Am J Nurs 108:52-60; quiz 61. 2008..This article presents an algorithm meant to guide nurses in the assessment and treatment of delirium superimposed on dementia. For a free online video demonstrating the use of this algorithm, go to http://links.lww.com/A211 [corrected]...
- Health outcomes associated with potentially inappropriate medication use in older adultsDonna M Fick
School of Nursing, 307C Health and Human Development East, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park, PA 16802, USA
Res Nurs Health 31:42-51. 2008..7% in the non-PIM group (p < .001). In conclusion, preventing PIM use may be important for decreasing medication-related problems, which are increasingly being recognized as requiring an integrated interdisciplinary approach...
- Physical activity, stress, disease activity, and quality of life in adults with Crohn diseaseSean C Crumbock
Cardio Thoracic Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA
Gastroenterol Nurs 32:188-95. 2009..Suggestions for important research design considerations are presented, along with future research needs...
- Delirium superimposed on dementia: a systematic reviewDonna M Fick
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, Georgia 30912, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 50:1723-32. 2002..This paper highlights the dearth of research on delirium superimposed on dementia and stresses the importance of early recognition and prevention of delirium in persons with dementia...
- Promoting cognitive health and vitality: a review of clinical implicationsAndrea M Yevchak
Village at Penn State, State College, PA, USA
Geriatr Nurs 29:302-10. 2008..Current research findings on the promotion of cognitive health and vitality are explored, and research-based implications for geriatric nursing practice are discussed...
- Antibiotic use in children who have asthma: results of retrospective database analysisLeila E Stallworth
Medical College of Georgia, 1120 15th St, Augusta, GA 30912, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:657-62. 2005....
- Medication use after bariatric surgery in a managed care cohortDenise M Hodo
Center for Health Care Improvement, Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Georgia, Georgia s Health Sciences University, Augusta, Georgia, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 4:601-7. 2008..The primary aim of this study was to describe the medication use and costs within a managed care cohort after bariatric surgery. A secondary aim was to describe the use rates for other health services after bariatric surgery...
- Cognitive assessment and differentiating the 3 Ds (dementia, depression, delirium)Koen Milisen
Centre for Health Services and Nursing Research, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Kapucijnenvoer 35 4, 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Nurs Clin North Am 41:1-22, v. 2006..Further, an overview of epidemiological screening and diagnostic dilemmas of dementia, depression, and deliriumare provided...
- Comparison of 2 systems for clinical practice profiling in diabetic care: medical records versus claims and administrative dataJ Ross Maclean
Department of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
Am J Manag Care 8:175-9. 2002....
- Updating the Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in older adults: results of a US consensus panel of expertsDonna M Fick
Department of Medicine, Center for Health Care Improvement, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta 30912, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:2716-24. 2003..The purpose of this initiative was to revise and update the Beers criteria for potentially inappropriate medication use in adults 65 years and older in the United States...
- DELIRIUM IN PERSONS WITH DEMENTIADonna Fick; Fiscal Year: 2007..Ultimately, the results from this and subsequent studies should improve the lives of persons with dementia and their caregivers by decreasing delirium-related complications and hospitalizations. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..