Ronald E Domen
Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Allergic transfusion reactions: an evaluation of 273 consecutive reactionsRonald E Domen
Cleveland Clinic, Department of Clinical Pathology, Section of Transfusion Medicine, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:316-20. 2003..Allergic reaction to transfusion is common. However, the review of a large series of allergic transfusion reactions has not been performed...
- Ethical issues in transfusion medicine: the safety of blood and hematopoietic stem cell donationRonald E Domen
Department of Pathology, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, P O Box 850, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Curr Hematol Rep 4:465-9. 2005..Transfusion medicine professionals must work to safeguard the health of the donor. The establishment of a national donor registry to collect and analyze short-term and long-term safety data is recommended...
- An examination of professional and ethical issues in the fellowship application process in pathologyRonald E Domen
Department of Pathology, Penn State College of Medicine, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Hum Pathol 39:484-8. 2008..This article addresses professional and ethical aspects of the current application process and offers possible solutions for improving it...
- Renal failure after anti-D globulin treatment of idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpuraDeborah Kees-Folts
Department of Pediatrics, The Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Pediatr Nephrol 17:91-6. 2002..Renal function should be monitored in patients with evidence of intravascular hemolysis. Children and adolescents may have increased risk of ARF requiring dialysis...
- Oxygen saturation and hemoglobin A content in patients with sickle cell disease undergoing erythrocytapheresisThomas P Nifong
Department of Pathology, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA
Ther Apher 6:390-3. 2002..We have shown that decreased baseline oxygen saturation in sickle cell disease is related to abnormal hemoglobin S levels, and oxygen saturation can be improved with erythrocytapheresis, independent of any change in the total hematocrit...
- Favorable outcome after infusion of coagulase-negative staphylococci-contaminated peripheral blood hematopoietic cells for autologous transplantationThomas P Nifong
Division of Clinical Pathology, Department of Pathology, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 127:e19-21. 2003..With appropriate microbial identification and prophylactic antibiotic therapy, contaminated hematopoietic products can be safely infused when necessary with a good clinical outcome...
- Durable response to combination therapy including staphylococcal protein A immunoadsorption in life-threatening refractory autoimmune hemolysisMansoor Javeed
Department of Medicine, Milton S Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey 17033, USA
Transfusion 42:1217-20. 2002..Few therapeutic options are available for severe, life-threatening, refractory autoimmune hemolytic anemia...
- The informed consent process in whole blood donationLindsay A Alaishuski
Penn State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 132:947-51. 2008..Informed consent in transfusion medicine has been an area lacking of significant research and it is unknown if donors fully comprehend the risks associated with whole blood donation...
- Immune functional assay for immunosuppressive management in post-transplant malignancyTadahiro Uemura
Division of Transplantation, Department of Surgery, Penn State Milton S Hershey Medical Center, College of Medicine, Penn State University, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Clin Transplant 25:E32-7. 2011..The ImmuKnow assay can express the degree of immune suppression induced by chemotherapeutic or radiation therapy and may be a useful tool in optimizing the timing of re-introduction of immunosuppression after malignancy treatment...