Affiliation: Pennsylvania State University
- Axtell M, Westholm J, Lai E. Vive la différence: biogenesis and evolution of microRNAs in plants and animals. Genome Biol. 2011;12:221 pubmed publisher..MicroRNAs are pervasive in both plants and animals, but many aspects of their biogenesis, function and evolution differ. We reveal how these differences contribute to characteristic features of microRNA evolution in the two kingdoms. ..
- Axtell M. Classification and comparison of small RNAs from plants. Annu Rev Plant Biol. 2013;64:137-59 pubmed publisher..Tertiary subdivisions can be identified within many of the secondary classifications as well. Comparisons between the different classes of plant small RNAs help to illuminate key goals for future research. ..
- Axtell M. ShortStack: comprehensive annotation and quantification of small RNA genes. RNA. 2013;19:740-51 pubmed publisher..Annotation of MIRNA loci by ShortStack is highly specific in both plants and animals. ShortStack is freely available under a GNU General Public License. ..
- Wang F, Johnson N, Coruh C, Axtell M. Genome-wide analysis of single non-templated nucleotides in plant endogenous siRNAs and miRNAs. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:7395-405 pubmed publisher..This pattern of non-templated 3' nucleotides on 23 nt siRNAs is not affected by loss of known small RNA 3'-end modifying enzymes, and may result from modifications added to longer heterochromatic siRNA precursors. ..
- Axtell M, Snyder J, Bartel D. Common functions for diverse small RNAs of land plants. Plant Cell. 2007;19:1750-69 pubmed..Diverse, lineage-specific, small RNAs can therefore perform common biological functions in plants...
- Johnson N, Yeoh J, Coruh C, Axtell M. Improved Placement of Multi-mapping Small RNAs. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:2103-11 pubmed publisher..Improved genome alignments of sRNA-seq data should increase the quality of downstream analyses and genome annotation efforts. ..
- Axtell M. Lost in translation? microRNAs at the rough ER. Trends Plant Sci. 2017;22:273-274 pubmed publisher..A recent study demonstrates that Arabidopsis miRNAs are enriched at the rough endoplasmic reticulum (ER). This enrichment is a surprise, given that most known miRNA targets are not expected to be translated at the rough ER. ..