Lauren M Sparks
Affiliation: Pennington Biomedical Research Center
- Relation of adipose tissue to metabolic flexibilityLauren M Sparks
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 83:32-43. 2009....
- High-fat/low-carbohydrate diets regulate glucose metabolism via a long-term transcriptional loopLauren M Sparks
Department of Biological Sciences, Louisiana State University and Agricultural and Mechanical College, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Metabolism 55:1457-63. 2006..Combined, these results suggest a mechanism whereby HF/LCD regulates the genes necessary for glucose utilization and storage vis-á-vis transcriptional control...
- Effect of adipose tissue on the sexual dimorphism in metabolic flexibilityLauren M Sparks
Experimental Endocrinology, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Metabolism 58:1564-71. 2009..Combined, these results provide evidence for a role of adipose tissue characteristics in the sexual dimorphism of metabolic flexibility...
- Remodeling lipid metabolism and improving insulin responsiveness in human primary myotubesLauren M Sparks
Molecular and Experimental Endocrinology Laboratory, Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21068. 2011..We hypothesized that activation of cAMP/PKA and calcium signaling pathways in cultured human myotubes would provide further insight into regulation of lipid storage, lipolysis, lipid oxidation and insulin responsiveness...
- Low macrophage accumulation in skeletal muscle of obese type 2 diabetics and elderly subjectsCharmaine S Tam
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 20:1530-3. 2012..In conclusion, we found little evidence of macrophage accumulation in skeletal muscle in obese T2D subjects or in elderly individuals. A 9-month exercise program was not associated with a decrease in macrophage content...
- A high-fat diet coordinately downregulates genes required for mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation in skeletal muscleLauren M Sparks
Pennington Biomedical Research Center, 6400 Perkins Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70808, USA
Diabetes 54:1926-33. 2005..These changes mimic those observed in diabetes and insulin resistance and, if sustained, may result in mitochondrial dysfunction in the prediabetic/insulin-resistant state...