Donald H Chace
Affiliation: Pediatrix Medical Group
- The application of tandem mass spectrometry to neonatal screening for inherited disorders of intermediary metabolismDonald H Chace
Division of BioAnalytical Chemistry and Mass Spectrometry, Neo Gen Screening, Bridgeville, Pennsylvania 15017, USA
Annu Rev Genomics Hum Genet 3:17-45. 2002..It is therefore imperative that the genetics community be familiar with tandem mass spectrometric newborn screening...
- Use of tandem mass spectrometry for multianalyte screening of dried blood specimens from newbornsDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Screening, PO Box 219, 90 Emerson Lane, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Clin Chem 49:1797-817. 2003....
- Rapid metabolic and newborn screening of thyroxine (T4) from dried blood spots by MS/MSDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, The Pediatrix Center for Research and Education 1301 Concord Terrace Sunrise, FL 33323, United States
Clin Chim Acta 403:178-83. 2009..Some laboratories measure either total T(4) or TSH as a means of detecting infants with hypothyroidism with a subset that analyzes both total T(4) and TSH as a primary screen or a combination of primary and secondary screens...
- Mass spectrometry in newborn and metabolic screening: historical perspective and future directionsDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
J Mass Spectrom 44:163-70. 2009..These features are excellent selectivity and multiple analyte or profile analysis; features recognized in the 1950s and remain true today...
- Improved MS/MS analysis of succinylacetone extracted from dried blood spots when combined with amino acids and acylcarnitine butyl estersDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, The Center for Research and Education, Pediatrix Medical Group, Inc 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323, United States
Clin Chim Acta 407:6-9. 2009..However, butyl esterification techniques may result in contamination of underivatized acylcarnitines by as much as 20%. We have developed a simple wash step to improve the combined analysis of SUAC, AA and AC in DBS by MS/MS...
- 2005 International Conference on Metabolic Profiling. November 14-15, 2006, NC, USADonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Expert Rev Mol Diagn 6:135-6. 2006
- Potential loss of methionine following extended storage of newborn screening samples prepared for tandem mass spectrometry analysisDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, The Center for Research and Education, Pediatrix Medical Group, Inc, 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323, USA
Clin Chim Acta 411:1284-6. 2010..We report on the stability of labeled and unlabeled Met solutions and their storage in two types of 96 well microtiter plates to illustrate the potential loss of Met following storage of samples prior to MS/MS analysis...
- 2005 Biomarker Discovery Summit: impressions and summary. September 26-28, 2005, PA, USADonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, 90 Emerson Lane, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Expert Rev Proteomics 2:837-8. 2005
- Tandem mass spectrometric identification of dextrose markers in dried-blood spots from infants receiving total parenteral nutritionDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, The Pediatrix Center for Research, Education and Quality, Pediatrix Medical Group, Inc 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323, USA
Clin Chim Acta 411:1806-16. 2010..These markers were closely correlated with the detection of very high multiple amino acid increases in the profiles of newborns administered with TPN and who were ultimately found to be normal and free of inherited metabolic disorders...
- A biochemical perspective on the use of tandem mass spectrometry for newborn screening and clinical testingDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, 90 Emerson Lane, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Clin Biochem 38:296-309. 2005..MS/MS is a powerful tool for accessing the metabolic status of a newborn and can detect both inborn metabolic errors as well as examine the effect of acquired diseases or pharmacologic intervention on intermediary metabolism...
- Altered metabolism and newborn screening using tandem mass spectrometry: lessons learned from the bench to bedsideDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Center for Research, Education and Quality, Pediatrix Medical Group, 1301 Concord Terrace Sunrise, FL 33323, USA
Curr Pharm Biotechnol 12:965-75. 2011..The use of a highly specific, sensitive and multiplex platform such as MS/MS will continue to grow and experience in the newborn screening application will insure this outcome...
- Detection of TPN contamination of dried blood spots used in newborn and metabolic screening and its impact on quantitative measurement of amino acidsDonald H Chace
The Pediatrix Center for Research, Education and Quality, Pediatrix Medical Group, Inc, 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323, USA
Clin Chim Acta 412:1385-90. 2011..This study investigates quantitative parameters of dextrose and amino acids in blood samples enriched with different TPN solutions...
- Quantification of malonylcarnitine in dried blood spots by use of MS/MS varies by stable isotope internal standard compositionDonald H Chace
Pediatrix Analytical, The Center for Research and Education, Pediatrix Medical Group, Inc, 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323, United States
Clin Chim Acta 402:14-8. 2009..Quantitative features were unknown, so that its measurement was an approximation. Synthesis of malonylcarnitine enabled both a study in the analytical characteristics of C3DC and a survey of its measurement in NBS laboratories...
- Metabolomic profiling of fatty acid and amino acid metabolism in youth with obesity and type 2 diabetes: evidence for enhanced mitochondrial oxidationStephanie J Mihalik
Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Diabetes Care 35:605-11. 2012..We compared acylcarnitine (AcylCN) species, common amino acid and fat oxidation (FOX) byproducts, and plasma amino acids in normal weight (NW; n = 39), obese (OB; n = 64), and type 2 diabetic (n = 17) adolescents...
- Effects of two different doses of amino acid supplementation on growth and blood amino acid levels in premature neonates admitted to the neonatal intensive care unit: a randomized, controlled trialReese H Clark
Pediatrix Medical Group, 1301 Concord Terrace, Sunrise, FL 33323 2825, USA
Pediatrics 120:1286-96. 2007..The goal was to measure the effects of 2 distinct strategies for parenteral nutrition on neonatal growth and blood amino acid profiles...
- Neonatal blood carnitine concentrations: normative data by electrospray tandem mass spectometryDonald H Chace
Neo Gen Screening, Division of BioAnalytical Chemistry and Mass Spectrometry, Bridgeville, PA 15017, USA
Pediatr Res 53:823-9. 2003....
- Increased levels of plasma acylcarnitines in obesity and type 2 diabetes and identification of a marker of glucolipotoxicityStephanie J Mihalik
Department of Pediatrics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Obesity (Silver Spring) 18:1695-700. 2010..Plasma long-chain AcylCN species are increased in obesity and T2DM, suggesting that more fatty acids can enter mitochondria. In T2DM, many shorter species accumulate, suggesting that they have a generalized complex oxidation defect...
- Carnitine treatment inhibits increases in cerebral carnitine esters and glutamate detected by mass spectrometry after hypoxia-ischemia in newborn ratsMark S Wainwright
Department of Pediatrics, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Stroke 37:524-30. 2006..We used a newborn rat model of hypoxia-ischemia (HI) to test the hypothesis that HI alters acyl-CoA:CoA homeostasis and that this effect can be prevented by treatment with carnitine...
- Impact of haemodialysis on individual endogenous plasma acylcarnitine concentrations in end-stage renal diseaseStephanie E Reuter
Centre for Pharmaceutical Research, University of South Australia, North Terrace, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Ann Clin Biochem 42:387-93. 2005..Removal is significantly correlated to acyl chain length, most likely due to the increased molecular weight and lipophilicity that accompanies increased chain length...
- Steroid profiling by tandem mass spectrometry improves the positive predictive value of newborn screening for congenital adrenal hyperplasiaCarla Z Minutti
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:3687-93. 2004..This would prevent unnecessary blood draws, medical evaluations, and stress to families...