Genomes and Genes
K K Wang
Affiliation: Parke-Davis Pharmaceutical Research
- Simultaneous degradation of alphaII- and betaII-spectrin by caspase 3 (CPP32) in apoptotic cellsK K Wang
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106, USA
J Biol Chem 273:22490-7. 1998..We postulate that in concert with calpain, caspase rapidly targets critical sites in both alphaII- and betaII-spectrin and thereby initiates a rapid dissolution of the spectrin-actin cortical cytoskeleton with apoptosis...
- Caspase-mediated fragmentation of calpain inhibitor protein calpastatin during apoptosisK K Wang
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Division of Warner Lambert Company, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48105, USA
Arch Biochem Biophys 356:187-96. 1998..We propose that the proteolysis of calpastatin in early apoptosis might have yet unidentified effects on the cross-talk between the two protease systems...
- A purine nucleoside phosphorylase (PNP) inhibitor induces apoptosis via caspase-3-like protease activity in MOLT-4 T cellsR Posmantur
Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Warner Lambert Company, Department of Immunopathology, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Immunopharmacology 37:231-44. 1997..In summary, we provided several lines of evidence for the role of apoptosis and the contribution of caspase-3-like proteases in T-cell death following PNP inhibition...
- Caspase-mediated calcineurin activation contributes to IL-2 release during T cell activationN Mukerjee
Laboratory of Neuro biochemistry, Department of CNS Molecular Sciences, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor Laboratories, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 285:1192-9. 2001..Taken together, our results suggest that caspase-mediated cleavage of Cn A contributes to IL-2 production during T cell activation...
- Thapsigargin induces apoptosis in SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells and cerebrocortical culturesR Nath
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biochem Mol Biol Int 43:197-205. 1997..We propose that thapsigargin-induced cell death in cultured neuronal cells may be a useful system to study the molecular and genetic events involved in apoptosis...
- Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase inhibition potentiates thapsigargin-mediated cell death in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cellsK M McGinnis
Department of Pharmacology, The University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Neurosci Lett 301:99-102. 2001..Furthermore, thapsigargin-induced caspase-3-like activation, demonstrated by poly(ADP)ribose polymerase cleavage and pro-caspase-3 processing, was elevated in the presence of KN93...
- Activation of apoptosis-linked caspase(s) in NMDA-injured brains in neonatal ratsR Nath
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Division of Warner Lambert Company, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48105, USA
Neurochem Int 36:119-26. 2000..Lastly, we note that i.p. injection (100 mg/kg) of a pan caspase inhibitor Z-D-DCB attenuates the levels of SBDP120. Our results suggest the presence of caspase-activation in this rat pup model of NMDA toxicity...
- Inhibition of p38 kinase mimics survival signal-linked protection against apoptosis in rat cerebellar granule neuronsR Nath
Dept of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Cell Mol Biol Lett 6:173-84. 2001..The data provides evidence for an essential role of p38 kinase in mediating apoptotic cell death in CGN and the inhibition of p38 kinase mimics the suppression of apoptosis provided by natural survival signals...
- Total protein extraction from cultured cells for use in electrophoresis and western blottingK K Wang
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Division of Warner Lambert Company, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Biotechniques 20:662-8. 1996....
- Molecular cloning and characterization of a novel caspase-3 variant that attenuates apoptosis induced by proteasome inhibitionY Huang
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Pfizer Global Research and Development, Ann Arbor Laboratories, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 283:762-9. 2001..Overexpression of caspase-3s in 293 cells is more resistant to apoptosis induced by proteasome inhibition. Furthermore, we identified that proteasome inhibition stabilized the level of caspase-3s...
- Evaluation of HIV-1 Tat induced neurotoxicity in rat cortical cell cultureA Perez
Department of Infectious Diseases, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
J Neurovirol 7:1-10. 2001..Results presented in this paper suggest that activation of NMDA receptors by HIV-1 Tat is responsible for neuronal cell death in primary rat cortical neurons...
- Calpain and caspase: can you tell the difference?K K Wang
Dept of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Warner Lambert Company, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Trends Neurosci 23:20-6. 2000..Caspase inhibitors strongly suppress apoptotic neuronal death. Thus, both protease families might contribute to structural derangement and functional loss in neurons under degenerative conditions...
- Processing of cdk5 activator p35 to its truncated form (p25) by calpain in acutely injured neuronal cellsR Nath
Department of Neuroscience Therapeutics, Parke Davis Pharmaceutical Research, Division of Warner Lambert Company, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105, USA
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 274:16-21. 2000..These data suggest that calpain is a major neuronal protease capable of converting p35 to p25 and might play a pathological role of activating cdk5 and its phosphorylation of tau in Alzheimer's disease...
- Calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV is cleaved by caspase-3 and calpain in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells undergoing apoptosisK M McGinnis
Department of Pharmacology, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
J Biol Chem 273:19993-20000. 1998..Furthermore, calmodulin-stimulated protein kinase activity decreases within 6 h in thapsigargin-treated SH-SY5Y. The loss of activity precedes cell death...
- The calpain family and human diseaseY Huang
Laboratory of Neuro biochemistry, Dept of CNS Molecular Sciences, Pfizer Global Research and Development, 2800 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105, USA
Trends Mol Med 7:355-62. 2001..This review describes our current understanding of the calpain family members and their mechanistic linkages to the aforementioned diseases as well as other emerging pathological conditions...
- TNF-alpha stimulates caspase-3 activation and apoptotic cell death in primary septo-hippocampal culturesX Zhao
The Vivian L. Smith Center for Neurologic Research, Department of Neurosurgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Neurosci Res 64:121-31. 2001..Results of this study suggest TNF-alpha may induce caspase-3 activation but not calpain activation in septo-hippocampal cultures and that this activation of caspase-3 at least partially contributes to TNF-alpha-induced apoptosis...
- Crystal structure of calcium bound domain VI of calpain at 1.9 A resolution and its role in enzyme assembly, regulation, and inhibitor bindingG D Lin
Center for Macromolecular Crystallography, University of Alabama at Birmingham 35294, USA
Nat Struct Biol 4:539-47. 1997..The crystal structure of a Ca2+ bound domain VI-inhibitor (PD150606) complex has been refined to 2.1 A resolution. A possible mode for calpain inhibition is discussed...
- Temporal and spatial profile of caspase 8 expression and proteolysis after experimental traumatic brain injuryR Beer
Department of Neurology, University Hospital Innsbruck, Austria
J Neurochem 78:862-73. 2001..Our findings also suggest a contributory role of caspase 8 activation to caspase 3 mediated apoptotic cell death after experimental TBI in vivo...
- Concurrent assessment of calpain and caspase-3 activation after oxygen-glucose deprivation in primary septo-hippocampal culturesJ K Newcomb-Fernandez
Department of Neurosurgery, The Vivian L. Smith Center for Neurologic Research, University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, Texas, USA
J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 21:1281-94. 2001....
- The calpain small subunit gene is essential: its inactivation results in embryonic lethalityU J Zimmerman
Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia 19104 6068, USA
IUBMB Life 50:63-8. 2000..The results indicate that at least one normal allele is essential for postnatal survival. Disruption of both alleles appears to be lethal in very early fetal development...
- Protein kinase C phosphorylates the carboxyl terminus of the plasma membrane Ca(2+)-ATPase from human erythrocytesK K Wang
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
J Biol Chem 266:9078-85. 1991....
- Differential expression of a cDNA clone in human liver versus hepatic cancer--highly homologous to aryl-dialkyl-phosphataseK K Wang
National Laboratory for Oncogenes and Related Genes, Shanghai Cancer Institute
Cell Res 7:79-90. 1997..The biological significance of its differential expression in normal versus malignant tissue is discussed...
- Phosphorylation of connexin-32 by protein kinase C prevents its proteolysis by mu-calpain and m-calpainM Elvira
Instituto de Investigaciones Biomedicas, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Madrid, Spain
J Biol Chem 268:14294-300. 1993..Phosphorylation of connexin-32 by protein kinase A and protein kinase C does not prevent its proteolysis by papain, alpha-chymotrypsin, proteinase K, and trypsin...
- The novel calpain inhibitor SJA6017 improves functional outcome after delayed administration in a mouse model of diffuse brain injuryN C Kupina
Neuroscience Therapeutics, Pfizer Global Research and Development-Ann Arbor Laboratories, Michigan 48015, USA
J Neurotrauma 18:1229-40. 2001..However, measurements of regional spectrin degradation may not be the most sensitive marker for determining the effects of calpain inhibition...