- Effects of oral Lactobacillus GG on enteric microflora in low-birth-weight neonatesRamesh Agarwal
Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 36:397-402. 2003..Although LGG is a relatively poor colonizer in infants, especially those infants weighing less than 1500 g at birth, it does appear to affect neonatal intestinal colonization patterns...
- Probiotic bacteria change Escherichia coli-induced gene expression in cultured colonocytes: Implications in intestinal pathophysiologyPinaki Panigrahi
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Department of Pediatrics, 22 South Greene Street, N5W68, Baltimore, MD 21201, United States
World J Gastroenterol 13:6370-8. 2007..To investigate the change in eukaryotic gene expression profile in Caco-2 cells after infection with strains of Escherichia coli and commensal probiotic bacteria...
- Prediction of outcome in adults with severe falciparum malaria: a new scoring systemSaroj K Mishra
Department of Internal Medicine, Ispat General Hospital, F 139, Sector 19, Rourkela, 769 005, Orissa, India
Malar J 6:24. 2007..However, no scoring system is available to predict outcome of these patients. The aim of this paper was to devise a simple and reliable malaria prognosis score (MPS) to predict the outcome of adults with severe malaria...
- Necrotizing enterocolitis: a practical guide to its prevention and managementPinaki Panigrahi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA
Paediatr Drugs 8:151-65. 2006..The use of probiotics ('friendly' bacterial flora) has been introduced as a promising tool for establishing healthy bacterial flora in the newborn gut to block the injury process that may ultimately lead to necrotizing enterocolitis...
- Long-term colonization of a Lactobacillus plantarum synbiotic preparation in the neonatal gutPinaki Panigrahi
Department of Pediatrics, University of Maryland Medical School, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 47:45-53. 2008..The present study was conducted to determine the colonizing ability, tolerance, and impact on the stool flora of 7 days of administration of a synbiotic supplement to a neonatal cohort, in preparation for a larger hospital-based trial...
- The capsule polysaccharide structure and biogenesis for non-O1 Vibrio cholerae NRT36S: genes are embedded in the LPS regionYuansha Chen
Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Baltimore, MD 21201, USA
BMC Microbiol 7:20. 2007..V. cholerae serogroup O31 NRT36S, a human pathogen that produces a heat-stable enterotoxin (NAG-ST), is encapsulated. Here, we report the covalent structure and studies of the biogenesis of the capsule in V. cholerae NRT36S...
- Host-dependent zonulin secretion causes the impairment of the small intestine barrier function after bacterial exposureRamzi El Asmar
Department of Pediatrics and Center for Vaccine Development, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21201, USA
Gastroenterology 123:1607-15. 2002..CONCLUSIONS: This zonulin-driven opening of the paracellular pathway may represent a defensive mechanism, which flushes out microorganisms and contributes to the host response against bacterial colonization of the small intestine...
- Prevention of Infection in Indian NeonatesPinaki Panigrahi; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- Prevention of neonatal infection in the Indian community setting using probioticsPinaki Panigrahi; Fiscal Year: 2007..A successful outcome would provide a simple, locally available, and inexpensive preventive therapy for dramatically reducing neonatal infections, and in turn, infant mortality in India and other developing countries. ..
- Prevention of neonatal infection in the Indian community setting using probioticsPinaki Panigrahi; Fiscal Year: 2009..A successful outcome would provide a simple, locally available, and inexpensive preventive therapy for dramatically reducing neonatal infections, and in turn, infant mortality in India and other developing countries. ..