Genomes and Genes
Robert L Tanguay
Affiliation: Oregon State University
- Truong L, Simonich M, Tanguay R. Better, Faster, Cheaper: Getting the Most Out of High-Throughput Screening with Zebrafish. Methods Mol Biol. 2016;1473:89-98 pubmed publisher..We include optimization and harmonization of dosing volume, exposure paradigms, chemical solubility, chorion status, experimental duration, endpoint definitions, and statistical analysis. ..
- Truong L, Gonnerman G, Simonich M, Tanguay R. Assessment of the developmental and neurotoxicity of the mosquito control larvicide, pyriproxyfen, using embryonic zebrafish. Environ Pollut. 2016;218:1089-1093 pubmed publisher..Thus, zebrafish data suggest that the developmental toxicity of pyriproxyfen may not be limited to insects. ..
- Zhang G, Roell K, Truong L, Tanguay R, Reif D. A data-driven weighting scheme for multivariate phenotypic endpoints recapitulates zebrafish developmental cascades. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;314:109-117 pubmed publisher..Thus, wAggE offers a powerful approach for analysis of multivariate phenotypes that can reveal underlying etiological processes. ..
- Haggard D, Noyes P, Waters K, Tanguay R. Transcriptomic and phenotypic profiling in developing zebrafish exposed to thyroid hormone receptor agonists. Reprod Toxicol. 2018;77:80-93 pubmed publisher..This unique signature has the potential to be used as a tiered in vivo HTS and may aid in identifying chemicals that interact with the thyroid hormone receptor. ..
- Chen J, Lei L, Tian L, Hou F, Roper C, Ge X, et al. Developmental and behavioral alterations in zebrafish embryonically exposed to valproic acid (VPA): An aquatic model for autism. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2018;66:8-16 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that VPA exposure generates ASD-like phenotypes and behaviors, indicating that zebrafish is an alternative model to investigate underlying ASD mechanisms. ..
- Knecht A, Truong L, Simonich M, Tanguay R. Developmental benzo[a]pyrene (B[a]P) exposure impacts larval behavior and impairs adult learning in zebrafish. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2017;59:27-34 pubmed publisher..Developmentally exposed B[a]P zebrafish exhibited decreased learning and memory. Together this data demonstrates that developmental B[a]P exposure adversely impacts larval behavior, and learning in adult zebrafish. ..
- Chlebowski A, Tanguay R, Simonich S. Quantitation and prediction of sorptive losses during toxicity testing of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon (PAH) and nitrated PAH (NPAH) using polystyrene 96-well plates. Neurotoxicol Teratol. 2016;57:30-38 pubmed publisher..This indicates the need to better understand the sorptive behavior of hydrophobic analytes to plastics, and to better account for sorptive losses during toxicity testing in polystyrene plates. ..
- Zhang G, Marvel S, Truong L, Tanguay R, Reif D. Aggregate entropy scoring for quantifying activity across endpoints with irregular correlation structure. Reprod Toxicol. 2016;62:92-9 pubmed publisher..By testing AggE in a variety of high-dimensional real and simulated datasets, we have characterized its performance and suggested implementation parameters that can guide its application across a wide range of experimental scenarios. ..
- Garcia G, Noyes P, Tanguay R. Advancements in zebrafish applications for 21st century toxicology. Pharmacol Ther. 2016;161:11-21 pubmed publisher..Breakthroughs in transgenic/reporter lines and methods for genetic manipulation, such as the CRISPR-Cas9 system, will be comprised of reports across diverse disciplines. ..
- Haggard D, Noyes P, Waters K, Tanguay R. Phenotypically anchored transcriptome profiling of developmental exposure to the antimicrobial agent, triclosan, reveals hepatotoxicity in embryonic zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2016;308:32-45 pubmed publisher..We observed similarities in gene expression and hepatic steatosis assays; however, hit data for TCS were more concordant with the hypothesized CAR/PXR activity of TCS from rodent and human in vitro studies. ..
- Gerlach C, Das S, Volz D, Bisson W, Kolluri S, Tanguay R. Mono-substituted isopropylated triaryl phosphate, a major component of Firemaster 550, is an AHR agonist that exhibits AHR-independent cardiotoxicity in zebrafish. Aquat Toxicol. 2014;154:71-9 pubmed publisher..Overall, these results suggest that, while mITP is an AHR agonist, mITP causes AHR-independent cardiotoxicity through a pathway that is also antagonized by CH223191. ..
- Beaver L, Nkrumah Elie Y, Truong L, Barton C, Knecht A, Gonnerman G, et al. Adverse effects of parental zinc deficiency on metal homeostasis and embryonic development in a zebrafish model. J Nutr Biochem. 2017;43:78-87 pubmed publisher..These data should inform future studies regarding zinc deficiency and pregnancy and suggest that supplementation of zinc deficient mothers prior to pregnancy may be beneficial. ..
- Tanguay R. Challenges and Advances in Nanotoxicology. Nanomaterials (Basel). 2014;4:766-767 pubmed publisher..Keeping modern toxicology abreast of this innovation to the point that it guides a safer nanotechnology presents an equally exciting and eminently worthwhile challenge. [...]. ..
- Geier M, Chlebowski A, Truong L, Massey Simonich S, Anderson K, Tanguay R. Comparative developmental toxicity of a comprehensive suite of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Arch Toxicol. 2018;92:571-586 pubmed publisher..High-molecular weight PAHs were significantly more developmentally toxic than the low-molecular weight PAHs, and CYP1A expression was detected in five distinct tissues, including vasculature, liver, skin, neuromasts and yolk. ..
- Jang H, Pearce M, O Donnell E, Nguyen B, Truong L, Mueller M, et al. Identification of a Raloxifene Analog That Promotes AhR-Mediated Apoptosis in Cancer Cells. Biology (Basel). 2017;6: pubmed publisher..We conclude that Y134 is a promising raloxifene analog for further optimization as an anti-cancer agent targeting the AhR. ..
- Goodale B, La Du J, Tilton S, Sullivan C, Bisson W, Waters K, et al. Ligand-Specific Transcriptional Mechanisms Underlie Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor-Mediated Developmental Toxicity of Oxygenated PAHs. Toxicol Sci. 2015;147:397-411 pubmed publisher..Identifying ligand-dependent AHR interactions and signaling pathways is essential for understanding toxicity of this class of environmentally relevant compounds. ..
- Truong L, Bugel S, Chlebowski A, Usenko C, Simonich M, Simonich S, et al. Optimizing multi-dimensional high throughput screening using zebrafish. Reprod Toxicol. 2016;65:139-147 pubmed publisher..Adaptation of these better practices for zebrafish HTS should increase reproducibility across laboratories. ..
- Garcia G, Goodale B, Wiley M, La Du J, Hendrix D, Tanguay R. In Vivo Characterization of an AHR-Dependent Long Noncoding RNA Required for Proper Sox9b Expression. Mol Pharmacol. 2017;91:609-619 pubmed publisher..Our results place slincR as an intermediate between AHR2 activation and the reduction of sox9b mRNA in the AHR2 signaling pathway. ..
- Knecht A, Truong L, Marvel S, Reif D, Garcia A, Lu C, et al. Transgenerational inheritance of neurobehavioral and physiological deficits from developmental exposure to benzo[a]pyrene in zebrafish. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2017;329:148-157 pubmed publisher..Exposure to benzo[a]pyrene during development resulted in transgenerational inheritance of neurobehavioral and physiological deficiencies. Indirect evidence suggested the potential for an AHR2-dependent epigenetic route. ..
- Truong L, Tanguay R. Evaluation of Embryotoxicity Using the Zebrafish Model. Methods Mol Biol. 2017;1641:325-333 pubmed publisher..Numerous morphological, developmental, and behavioral endpoints can be evaluated noninvasively due to the transparent nature of the embryos. ..
- Franzosa J, Bugel S, Tal T, La Du J, Tilton S, Waters K, et al. Retinoic acid-dependent regulation of miR-19 expression elicits vertebrate axis defects. FASEB J. 2013;27:4866-76 pubmed publisher..This highlights a previously unidentified role of miR-19 in facilitating vertebrate axis development via regulation of RA signaling. ..