Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Sonnenberg A. Hospitalization for achalasia in the United States 1997-2006. Dig Dis Sci. 2009;54:1680-5 pubmed publisher..73, 1.70-1.76), and hospitals located in metropolitan areas (1.15, 1.14-1.15). With exception of its striking age-dependence, the epidemiology of achalasia does not reveal any clues about its yet unsolved etiology. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Turner K, Genta R. Associations of Microscopic Colitis With Other Lymphocytic Disorders of the Gastrointestinal Tract. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2018;16:1762-1767 pubmed publisher..These associations suggest the existence of an underlying etiology that is common to all lymphocytic disorders and that affects the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Genta R. Epithelial Dysplasia and Cancer in IBD Strictures. J Crohns Colitis. 2015;9:769-75 pubmed publisher..Old age, dysplasia and stricture were significantly and independently associated with cancer. The prevalence of epithelial dysplasia is not generally increased in IBD patients with strictures. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Genta R. Changes in the Gastric Mucosa With Aging. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015;13:2276-81 pubmed publisher..Most pathologic conditions detected by histologic analysis are caused by H pylori infection, but the causes of many others are unknown. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Genta R. Prevalence of benign gastric polyps in a large pathology database. Dig Liver Dis. 2015;47:164-9 pubmed publisher..Gastric adenoma and neuroendocrine tumours reflect later stages of this process. ..
- Sonnenberg A. Age distribution of IBD hospitalization. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2010;16:452-7 pubmed publisher..The bimodal age distribution of IBD hospitalization can be explained in terms of varying exposure to 2 separate environmental risk factors that affected consecutive age groups differently over the course of the 20th century. ..
- Sonnenberg A. Time trends of mortality from gastric cancer in Europe. Dig Dis Sci. 2011;56:1112-8 pubmed publisher..It remains an enigma why mortality associated with gastric cancer and peptic ulcer suddenly started to rise within a short time period during the 19th century. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Genta R. Low prevalence of Helicobacter pylori infection among patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2012;35:469-76 pubmed publisher..30) for IND. Our study confirms an inverse association between H. pylori and IBD and a positive association between the H. pylori-negative gastritis and IBD. These relationships may open new avenues to study the pathogenesis of IBD. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Genta R. Helicobacter pylori is a risk factor for colonic neoplasms. Am J Gastroenterol. 2013;108:208-15 pubmed publisher..pylori infection confer an increased risk for colonic neoplasm. In the past, when H. pylori infection was more prevalent, its attributable risk to the occurrence of colorectal neoplasm may have been quite substantial. ..
- Sonnenberg A. Review article: historic changes of Helicobacter pylori-associated diseases. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2013;38:329-42 pubmed publisher..pylori infection. The temporal variations of H. pylori infection have affected the occurrence of gastroenterology's most common disorders. ..
- Sonnenberg A. Gambles of gastroenterology. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;23:651-5 pubmed publisher..Using the gambler's ruin as a model for medical risk taking could contribute to medical teaching and promote the understanding of the some general principles that shape many clinical decisions in gastroenterology. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Naugler W. Models of influence in chronic liver disease. Liver Int. 2010;30:718-24 pubmed publisher..In a disease process characterized by a large array of multiple interacting factors, the decision tool of a transposed Markov chain helps to sort the contributing factors by the magnitude of their influence. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Melton S, Genta R. Frequent occurrence of gastritis and duodenitis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2011;17:39-44 pubmed publisher..Helicobacter-negative gastritis and duodenitis occur significantly more often in patients with IBD than healthy controls. Such upper gastrointestinal inflammation appears to be particularly common in CD and younger patients. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Lash R, Genta R. A national study of Helicobactor pylori infection in gastric biopsy specimens. Gastroenterology. 2010;139:1894-1901.e2; quiz e12 pubmed publisher..H pylori infection and associated disorders, such as chronic active gastritis and intestinal metaplasia, are inversely associated with Barrett's metaplasia. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Turner K, Genta R. Interaction of Ethnicity and H. pylori Infection in the Occurrence of Microscopic Colitis. Dig Dis Sci. 2017;62:1009-1015 pubmed publisher..91, p < 0.001). Ethnic variations in the gastric infection with H. pylori may be partly responsible for the observed ethnic distribution of microscopic colitis. ..
- Sonnenberg A, Turner K, Genta R. Increased Risk for Colon Polyps in Patients with Reflux Disease. Dig Dis Sci. 2018;63:228-233 pubmed publisher..All types of GERD represent a risk factor for the occurrence of different colon polyps, such as HP, TA, or SSA/P. ..