Carl B Schreck
Affiliation: Oregon State University
- Effects of acute stress on osmoregulation, feed intake, IGF-1, and cortisol in yearling steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) during seawater adaptationAnja M Liebert
Oregon Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Department of Fisheries and Wildlife and U S G S, Oregon State University, 104 Nash Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331 3803, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 148:195-202. 2006..Confinement stress did not impair feed intake subsequently in SW, but our results suggest that feed intake was suppressed by the change of the media from FW to SW...
- Stress and fish reproduction: the roles of allostasis and hormesisCarl B Schreck
Oregon Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, U S Geological Survey, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Gen Comp Endocrinol 165:549-56. 2010..The concept of hormesis is a useful way to think about the effect of stressors on fish reproduction since responses can be nonmonotonal, often biphasic...
- Mercury concentrations in salmonids from western U.S. National Parks and relationships with age and macrophage aggregatesAdam R Schwindt
Department of Microbiology, Center for Fish Disease Research, 220 Nash Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:1365-70. 2008..Our results indicate that mercury is indeed a concern for the U.S. National Parks, from an organismic and potentially an ecosystem perspective...
- Atmospherically deposited PBDEs, pesticides, PCBs, and PAHs in western U.S. National Park fish: concentrations and consumption guidelinesLuke K Ackerman
Department of Chemistry, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Environ Sci Technol 42:2334-41. 2008..These results indicate that atmospherically deposited organic contaminants can accumulate in high elevation fish, reaching concentrations relevant to human and wildlife health...
- Effect of commercially available egg cures on the survival of juvenile salmonidsShaun Clements
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Corvallis, Oregon, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e21406. 2011..We conclude that consumption of eggs cured with sodium sulfite has the potential to cause mortality in juvenile steelhead and Chinook salmon in the wild...
- Pseudoloma neurophilia infections in zebrafish Danio rerio: effects of stress on survival, growth, and reproductionJennifer M Ramsay
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, U S Geological Survey, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 88:69-84. 2009..neurophilia-infected and stressed AB fish. These experiments are the first to show empirically that P. neurophilia can be associated with reduced weight and fecundity, and that stress can exacerbate the severity of the infection...
- The effect of in vitro exposure to tributyltin on the immune competence of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) leukocytesIchiro Misumi
Department of Microbiology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Arch Environ Contam Toxicol 56:229-37. 2009..Our findings suggest that adverse effects of TBT on the function or development of fish immune systems could lead to an increase in disease susceptibility and its subsequent ecological implications...
- Persistence of infection by metacercariae of Apophallus sp., Neascus sp., and Nanophyetus salmincola plus two myxozoans (Myxobolus insidiosus and Myxobolus fryeri) in coho salmon Oncorhynchus kisutchJayde A Ferguson
Department of Microbiology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
J Parasitol 96:340-7. 2010..declined 43% in the lower main stem fish. However, more than 50% of each species persisted until the end of the study, with smolts still harboring relatively high infections...
- Sensitivity and specificity of histology for diagnoses of four common pathogens and detection of nontarget pathogens in adult Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) in fresh waterMichael L Kent
Department of Microbiology, Oregon State University, 220 Nash Hall, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
J Vet Diagn Invest 25:341-51. 2013..salmonicida. Kappa analysis for agreement between Blue Book and histology methods was poor to moderate. However, histological observations revealed the presence of other pathogens that would not be detected by other methods...
- Quantitative evaluation of macrophage aggregates in brook trout Salvelinus fontinalis and rainbow trout Oncorhynchus mykissAdam R Schwindt
Department of Microbiology, Center for Fish Disease Research, 220 Nash Hall, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 3804, USA
Dis Aquat Organ 68:101-13. 2006....
- Evidence of detrimental effects of environmental contaminants on growth and reproductive physiology of white sturgeon in impounded areas of the Columbia RiverGrant W Feist
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331 3803, USA
Environ Health Perspect 113:1675-82. 2005..Overall, results of this study indicate that exposure to environmental contaminants may be affecting both growth and reproductive physiology of sturgeon in some areas of the Columbia River...