Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Hemispheric lateralization of verbal and spatial working memory during adolescenceBonnie J Nagel
Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Psychiatry, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Brain Cogn 82:58-68. 2013..Our findings also suggest that, while a left-right hemispheric dissociation of verbal and spatial WM is apparent by early adolescence, age-related changes in functional activation during WM are also present...
- Altered white matter microstructure in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderBonnie J Nagel
Oregon Health and Science University, SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:283-92. 2011..Given dramatic white matter maturation across childhood, microstructural differences seen in adolescents and adults with ADHD may reflect compensatory restructuring, rather than early neurophenotypic markers of the disorder...
- Performance dissociation during verbal and spatial working memory tasksBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health and Science University, 97239 Portland, USA
Percept Mot Skills 105:243-50. 2007..These findings hold implications for cognitive and neuroimaging studies of verbal and spatial working memory and highlight the importance of considering both task design and individual behavior...
- Age-related changes in prefrontal white matter volume across adolescenceBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Neuroreport 17:1427-31. 2006..Possible methodological contributions and implications for the current findings are discussed...
- Neuropsychological predictors of BOLD response during a spatial working memory task in adolescents: what can performance tell us about fMRI response patterns?Bonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 27:823-39. 2005..This study provides further understanding of how neuropsychological abilities relate to neural activity during fMRI tasks, and provides an important link between neuropsychological and fMRI research...
- fMRI reveals alteration of spatial working memory networks across adolescenceAlecia D Schweinsburg
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 11:631-44. 2005..These changes may represent evolving mnemonic strategies subserved by ongoing adolescent brain development...
- Neuropsychological functioning in adolescent marijuana users: subtle deficits detectable after a month of abstinenceKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and Psychology Department, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:807-20. 2007..It is possible that frequent marijuana use during adolescence may negatively influence neuromaturation and cognitive development...
- Prefrontal cortex morphometry in abstinent adolescent marijuana users: subtle gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Addict Biol 14:457-68. 2009..Future research will measure PFC gray and white matter separately and follow boys and girls over adolescence to examine the influence of MJ use on neurodevelopment...
- Gender and adolescent alcohol use disorders on BOLD (blood oxygen level dependent) response to spatial working memoryLisa C Caldwell
Veterans Medical Research Foundation, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 40:194-200. 2005..To determine how alcohol use differentially affects brain functioning in male and female adolescents...
- Reduced hippocampal volume among adolescents with alcohol use disorders without psychiatric comorbidityBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Psychiatry Res 139:181-90. 2005..Because hippocampal volume did not relate to alcohol use characteristics, it is possible that premorbid volumetric differences could account for some of the observed group differences in hippocampal volume...
- Hippocampal volumes in adolescents with and without a family history of alcoholismKaren L Hanson
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36:161-7. 2010..However, differences in hippocampal volume may be due to risk factors such as a family history (FH) of alcoholism. We examined hippocampal volumes in youth with and without a FH of alcoholism prior to the initiation of alcohol use...
- A preliminary study of functional magnetic resonance imaging response during verbal encoding among adolescent binge drinkersAlecia D Schweinsburg
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Alcohol 44:111-7. 2010..Longitudinal studies will be needed to ascertain the degree to which emergence of binge drinking is linked temporally to these brain response patterns...
- Microstructural integrity of the corpus callosum linked with neuropsychological performance in adolescentsSusanna L Fryer
San Diego State University University of California San Diego, Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, 6363 Alvarado Court, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Brain Cogn 67:225-33. 2008..Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) has revealed microstructural aspects of adolescent brain development, the cognitive correlates of which remain relatively uncharacterized...
- Prefrontal cortex volumes in adolescents with alcohol use disorders: unique gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:386-94. 2008..This study examined PFC volumes in male and female adolescents with AUD who did not meet criteria for comorbid mood or attention disorders...
- Differential cross-sectional and longitudinal impact of APOE genotype on hippocampal volumes in nondemented older adultsAmy J Jak
Veteran s Medical Research Foundation, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23:382-9. 2007..Because of conflicting findings across studies, we sought to better determine the relationship between apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype, hippocampal volume, and cognitive performance in nondemented older adults...
- Early patterns of verbal memory impairment in children treated for medulloblastomaBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuropsychology 20:105-12. 2006..Implications of these findings for understanding neurobehavioral sequelae within pediatric medulloblastoma populations and for designing educational and remediation strategies to be used with these children are discussed...
- Abstinent adolescent marijuana users show altered fMRI response during spatial working memoryAlecia D Schweinsburg
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychology, 9500 Gilman Dr, 0109, La Jolla, CA 92093 0109, USA
Psychiatry Res 163:40-51. 2008....
- Verbal paired-associate learning by APOE genotype in non-demented older adults: fMRI evidence of a right hemispheric compensatory responseS Duke Han
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, United States
Neurobiol Aging 28:238-47. 2007....