Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Hemispheric lateralization of verbal and spatial working memory during adolescenceBonnie J Nagel
Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Psychiatry, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA Oregon Health and Science University, Department of Behavioral Neuroscience, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA Electronic address
Brain Cogn 82:58-68. 2013..Our findings also suggest that, while a left-right hemispheric dissociation of verbal and spatial WM is apparent by early adolescence, age-related changes in functional activation during WM are also present...
- Altered white matter microstructure in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorderBonnie J Nagel
Oregon Health and Science University, SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 50:283-92. 2011..Given dramatic white matter maturation across childhood, microstructural differences seen in adolescents and adults with ADHD may reflect compensatory restructuring, rather than early neurophenotypic markers of the disorder...
- Performance dissociation during verbal and spatial working memory tasksBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, Oregon Health and Science University, 97239 Portland, USA
Percept Mot Skills 105:243-50. 2007..These findings hold implications for cognitive and neuroimaging studies of verbal and spatial working memory and highlight the importance of considering both task design and individual behavior...
- Age-related changes in prefrontal white matter volume across adolescenceBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California, USA
Neuroreport 17:1427-31. 2006..Possible methodological contributions and implications for the current findings are discussed...
- Neuropsychological predictors of BOLD response during a spatial working memory task in adolescents: what can performance tell us about fMRI response patterns?Bonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Diego School of Medicine, San Diego, CA, USA
J Clin Exp Neuropsychol 27:823-39. 2005..This study provides further understanding of how neuropsychological abilities relate to neural activity during fMRI tasks, and provides an important link between neuropsychological and fMRI research...
- fMRI reveals alteration of spatial working memory networks across adolescenceAlecia D Schweinsburg
Department of Psychology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 11:631-44. 2005..These changes may represent evolving mnemonic strategies subserved by ongoing adolescent brain development...
- Neuropsychological functioning in adolescent marijuana users: subtle deficits detectable after a month of abstinenceKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, and Psychology Department, VA San Diego Healthcare System, San Diego, California 92161, USA
J Int Neuropsychol Soc 13:807-20. 2007..It is possible that frequent marijuana use during adolescence may negatively influence neuromaturation and cognitive development...
- Prefrontal cortex morphometry in abstinent adolescent marijuana users: subtle gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA, USA
Addict Biol 14:457-68. 2009..Future research will measure PFC gray and white matter separately and follow boys and girls over adolescence to examine the influence of MJ use on neurodevelopment...
- Gender and adolescent alcohol use disorders on BOLD (blood oxygen level dependent) response to spatial working memoryLisa C Caldwell
Veterans Medical Research Foundation, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Alcohol 40:194-200. 2005..To determine how alcohol use differentially affects brain functioning in male and female adolescents...
- Reduced hippocampal volume among adolescents with alcohol use disorders without psychiatric comorbidityBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine, 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093 0804, USA
Psychiatry Res 139:181-90. 2005..Because hippocampal volume did not relate to alcohol use characteristics, it is possible that premorbid volumetric differences could account for some of the observed group differences in hippocampal volume...
- Hippocampal volumes in adolescents with and without a family history of alcoholismKaren L Hanson
VA San Diego Healthcare System, Psychology Service, San Diego, California, USA
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36:161-7. 2010..However, differences in hippocampal volume may be due to risk factors such as a family history (FH) of alcoholism. We examined hippocampal volumes in youth with and without a FH of alcoholism prior to the initiation of alcohol use...
- A preliminary study of functional magnetic resonance imaging response during verbal encoding among adolescent binge drinkersAlecia D Schweinsburg
Department of Psychiatry, Yale University, New Haven, CT, USA
Alcohol 44:111-7. 2010..Longitudinal studies will be needed to ascertain the degree to which emergence of binge drinking is linked temporally to these brain response patterns...
- Microstructural integrity of the corpus callosum linked with neuropsychological performance in adolescentsSusanna L Fryer
San Diego State University University of California San Diego, Joint Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology, 6363 Alvarado Court, San Diego, CA 92120, USA
Brain Cogn 67:225-33. 2008..Diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) has revealed microstructural aspects of adolescent brain development, the cognitive correlates of which remain relatively uncharacterized...
- Prefrontal cortex volumes in adolescents with alcohol use disorders: unique gender effectsKrista Lisdahl Medina
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, California, USA
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 32:386-94. 2008..This study examined PFC volumes in male and female adolescents with AUD who did not meet criteria for comorbid mood or attention disorders...
- Differential cross-sectional and longitudinal impact of APOE genotype on hippocampal volumes in nondemented older adultsAmy J Jak
Veteran s Medical Research Foundation, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23:382-9. 2007..Because of conflicting findings across studies, we sought to better determine the relationship between apolipoprotein E (APOE) genotype, hippocampal volume, and cognitive performance in nondemented older adults...
- Early patterns of verbal memory impairment in children treated for medulloblastomaBonnie J Nagel
Department of Psychiatry, University of California, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
Neuropsychology 20:105-12. 2006..Implications of these findings for understanding neurobehavioral sequelae within pediatric medulloblastoma populations and for designing educational and remediation strategies to be used with these children are discussed...
- Abstinent adolescent marijuana users show altered fMRI response during spatial working memoryAlecia D Schweinsburg
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychology, 9500 Gilman Dr, 0109, La Jolla, CA 92093 0109, USA
Psychiatry Res 163:40-51. 2008....
- Verbal paired-associate learning by APOE genotype in non-demented older adults: fMRI evidence of a right hemispheric compensatory responseS Duke Han
University of California San Diego, Department of Psychiatry, La Jolla, CA 92093 0603, United States
Neurobiol Aging 28:238-47. 2007....
- Adolescent Working Memory and White Matter DevelopmentBONNIE NAGEL; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Timing Effects of Heavy Alcohol Initiation on Adolescent NeurodevelopmentBonnie J Nagel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Understanding the impact of early alcohol use on the developing adolescent brain will facilitate the creation of interventions aimed at reducing alcohol drinking behaviors that are targeted at specific age and risk groups. ..