Jau Shin Lou
Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Levodopa improves physical fatigue in Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover studyJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Mov Disord 18:1108-14. 2003....
- Effect of expectancy and personality on cortical excitability in Parkinson's diseaseJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Mov Disord 28:1257-62. 2013..Expectancy is associated with changes in cortical excitability. Further studies are needed to examine the relationship between personality and placebo effect in Parkinson's patients. © 2013 Movement Disorder Society. ..
- Techniques in assessing fatigue in neuromuscular diseasesJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 23:11-22, ix. 2012..Using these techniques to further understand the mechanisms of subjective and physiologic fatigue will help physicians to develop more effective treatments for fatigue and improve patients' quality of life...
- Exacerbated physical fatigue and mental fatigue in Parkinson's diseaseJ S Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Mov Disord 16:190-6. 2001..To characterize fatigue in Parkinson's disease (PD)...
- Physical and mental fatigue in Parkinson's disease: epidemiology, pathophysiology and treatmentJau Shin Lou
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Drugs Aging 26:195-208. 2009..Future fatigue research should focus on developing gold standards for fatigue measurement and developing treatments for fatigue and fatigability in PD...
- Correlates of quality of life in ALS: Lessons from the minocycline studyJau Shin Lou
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, 97239, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 11:116-21. 2010..01). Our study demonstrated that QoL does decline with advancing ALS in subjects who participated in a minocycline trial, that the slope of QoL predicts survival, and that both NIV and PEG have beneficial impacts on QoL...
- Using modafinil to treat fatigue in Parkinson disease: a double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot studyJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Clin Neuropharmacol 32:305-10. 2009..Fatigue is a major nonmotor symptom in Parkinson disease(PD). It is associated with reduced activity and lower quality of life...
- Approaching fatigue in neuromuscular diseasesJau Shin Lou
MDA Clinic, ALS Center of Oregon, EMG Laboratory, and Department of Neurology, CR120, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97234, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 16:1063-79, xi. 2005
- Levodopa normalizes exercise related cortico-motoneuron excitability abnormalities in Parkinson's diseaseJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Mail Code CR120, Portland 97201, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 114:930-7. 2003..To measure exercise induced changes in cortico-motoneuron excitability in Parkinson's disease (PD) before and after levodopa...
- Fatigue and depression are associated with poor quality of life in ALSJau Shin Lou
Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97201, USA
Neurology 60:122-3. 2003..Fatigue, depression, and excessive somnolence are more pronounced in ALS subjects than in normal controls. Both fatigue and depression are associated with poorer quality of life in subjects with ALS, and should be treated aggressively...
- Fatigue in amyotrophic lateral sclerosisJau Shin Lou
ALS Center of Oregon, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, CR120, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Phys Med Rehabil Clin N Am 19:533-43, ix. 2008..Palliative care measures, such as noninvasive ventilation and high-frequency chest wall oscillation, may also reduce fatigue...
- Quantitative electromyography of the anal sphincter after uncomplicated vaginal deliveryW Thomas Gregory
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery and Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Obstet Gynecol 104:327-35. 2004..We performed quantitative electromyography (EMG) to compare multiple motor unit action potential parameters between recently postpartum women and nulliparous women...
- Hand coordination as a quantitative measure of motor abnormality and therapeutic response in Parkinson's diseaseTed S Benice
Department of Neurology, CR 120, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR, United States
Clin Neurophysiol 118:1776-84. 2007..We designed this study to investigate if the PGLT outcome variables correlate with the UPDRS motor scores and if all PGLT outcome variables are "responsive" to levodopa...
- Assessment and management of fatigue in neuromuscular diseaseJau Shin Lou
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 27:145-57. 2010..Nutraceutical agents, such as creatine monohydrate, coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), and alpha-lipoic acid, may also improve neuromuscular function and reduce fatigue...
- Anal sphincter electromyography: editing of sampled motor unit action potentialsW Thomas Gregory
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Mail code L466, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Muscle Nerve 31:256-9. 2005..Editing of selected EAS MUAPs during multi-MUAP analysis is required, and development of common protocols is essential to enable meaningful comparisons between similar studies...
- Quantitative anal sphincter electromyography in primiparous women with anal incontinenceW Thomas Gregory
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:550.e1-6. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine whether evidence of denervation/reinnervation of the external anal sphincter is associated with anal incontinence symptoms immediately after delivery...
- Treatment of severe hand impairment following stroke by combining assisted movement, muscle vibration, and biofeedbackPaul Cordo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton, and AMES Technology, Inc, Portland, Oregon P C Departments of Rehabilitation Medicine, Medicine and Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia S L W Department of Neurology, Oregon Health and Science University, Beaverton J S L Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of Texas, Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas R B College of Medicine, University of Illinois, Chicago M S School of Optometry, Pacific University, Forest Grove, Oregon J H and Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, and Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois E R
J Neurol Phys Ther 37:194-203. 2013..We investigated whether an intervention of robot-assisted movement and muscle vibration could reduce impairment and enable hand-opening to a greater extent when combined with torque biofeedback or electromyographic (EMG) biofeedback...
- A novel, efficient, randomized selection trial comparing combinations of drug therapy for ALSPaul H Gordon
Department of Neurology, Columbia University, New York, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 9:212-22. 2008..This phase II design was efficient, leading to treatment selection after just 60 patients, and can be used in other phase II trials to assess different agents...
- A randomized comparison of thalamic stimulation and lesion on self-paced finger movement in essential tremorValerie C Anderson
Department of Neurological Surgery, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97236, USA
Neurosci Lett 462:166-70. 2009..That timing regularity is improved ipsilateral to the stimulated thalamus provides evidence that DBS influences a widespread neural network involved in timing of simple repetitive movements...
- Purposes of AAC device use for persons with ALS as reported by caregiversMelanie Fried-Oken
Oregon Health and Science University, Oregon Institute on Disability and Development, P O Box 574, Portland, OR 97207, USA
Augment Altern Commun 22:209-21. 2006..Clinical and research implications are discussed...
- Determining the shape of the turns-amplitude cloud during anal sphincter quantitative EMGW Thomas Gregory
Division of Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct 19:971-6. 2008..5, slope = 0.3, and resultant cloud of raw data has a convex upper boundary. These appear slightly different than previously published reports, potentially influencing the determination of normal and abnormal studies...
- Dextromethorphan plus ultra low-dose quinidine reduces pseudobulbar affectErik P Pioro
Section of ALS and Related Disorders, Department of Neurology, Neurological Institute, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Ann Neurol 68:693-702. 2010..To evaluate dextromethorphan combined with ultra low-dose quinidine (DMq) for treating pseudobulbar affect (PBA) in patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) or multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Modafinil to treat fatigue in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: an open label pilot studyGregory T Carter
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, Washington, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 22:55-9. 2005..1 (SD 5.4), with p < 0.01. This pilot study suggests that modafinil is well-tolerated and may reduce symptoms of fatigue in ALS. Further blinded, controlled studies of modafinil in larger numbers of ALS patients are warranted...
- Creatine monohydrate in ALS: effects on strength, fatigue, respiratory status and ALSFRSJeffrey Rosenfeld
The Carolinas Neuromuscular ALS Center, Charlotte North Carolina, Carolinas Medical Center, USA
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 9:266-72. 2008..The trend toward improved survival was also found in another recently completed blinded trial using creatine monohydrate. Further investigation on the possible survival benefit of creatine in this patient population is ongoing...
- Fatigue in Parkinson's disease: a reviewJoseph H Friedman
NeuroHealth, Warwick, Rhode Island 02886, USA
Mov Disord 22:297-308. 2007..This article reviews what is known about the symptom, putting it into the context of fatigue in other disorders, and outlines a program for developing better understanding and therapy...
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: an emerging era of collaborative gene discoveryKatrina Gwinn
National Institute for Neurological Disorders and Stroke, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1254. 2007..This resource should facilitate genetic discoveries which we anticipate will ultimately provide a better understanding of the biological mechanisms of neurodegeneration in ALS...
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation and NeuromodulationJau Shin Lou; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will provide us with vital information that will allow us to further develop rTMS as a noninvasive therapeutic modality for PD. ..
- Centella asiatica triterpene extract for diabetic neuropathy - a pilot studyJau Shin Lou; Fiscal Year: 2007..This project evaluates a product derived from the herb Centella asiatica, as a potential cure for this distressing, presently irreversible, condition. ..