Anna E Jolles
Affiliation: Oregon State University
- Rainfall-driven sex-ratio genes in African buffalo suggested by correlations between Y-chromosomal haplotype frequencies and foetal sex ratioPim van Hooft
Resource Ecology Group, Wageningen University, 6708 PB Wageningen, The Netherlands
BMC Evol Biol 10:106. 2010..These sex-ratio (SR) genes modify (suppress) gamete transmission in their own favour at a fitness cost, allowing for stable polymorphism...
- Independent and competing disease risks: implications for host populations in variable environmentsAnna E Jolles
Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey 08544 1003, USA
Am Nat 167:745-57. 2006..Model assumptions on independent or competing disease risks and environmental variability should be considered explicitly when assessing disease effects on wildlife populations...
- Interactions between macroparasites and microparasites drive infection patterns in free-ranging African buffaloAnna E Jolles
College of Veterinary Medicine, Department of Zoology, Oregon State University, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
Ecology 89:2239-50. 2008..This study is one of the first to examine the relevance of within-host immunological trade-offs for understanding parasite distribution patterns in natural populations...
- Innate immunity in free-ranging African buffalo (Syncerus caffer): associations with parasite infection and white blood cell countsBrianna R Beechler
Department of Biomedical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA
Physiol Biochem Zool 85:255-64. 2012..Our results also show a correlation between bactericidal competence and bovine tuberculosis infection and reveal possible functional polarizations between different types of immune response in a free-ranging mammal...
- Evaluation of the sensitivity and specificity of an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosing brucellosis in African buffalo (Syncerus caffer)Erin E Gorsich
1 Department of Integrative Biology, Oregon State University, 3029 Cordley Hall, Corvallis, Oregon 97331, USA
J Wildl Dis 51:9-18. 2015..However, after adjustment of cutoff values for South African conditions, the IDEXX Brucellosis Serum Ab Test may be a valuable additional screening test for brucellosis in Kruger National Park's African buffalo...
- Epidemiology. Opposite effects of anthelmintic treatment on microbial infection at individual versus population scalesVanessa O Ezenwa
Odum School of Ecology and Department of Infectious Diseases, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Georgia, Athens, GA 30602, USA
Science 347:175-7. 2015..Our results indicate that anthelmintic treatment can enhance the spread of microbial pathogens in some real-world situations. ..
- Selection at the Y chromosome of the African buffalo driven by rainfallPim van Hooft
Mammal Research Institute, Department of Zoology and Entomology, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa
PLoS ONE 2:e1086. 2007..The mammalian Y chromosome, interacting with ecological processes, may affect male reproductive success much more strongly than previously thought...