Genomes and Genes
S S Chugh
Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging for detection and quantification of fibrosis in human myocardium in vitroElizabeth Kehr
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, UHN 62, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Int J Cardiovasc Imaging 24:61-8. 2008....
- A community-based evaluation of sudden death associated with therapeutic levels of methadoneSumeet S Chugh
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland 97239, USA
Am J Med 121:66-71. 2008..Because of the established utility of this drug and with the eventual goal of enhancing safety of use, we performed a community-based study to evaluate this association...
- Sudden cardiac death with apparently normal heartS S Chugh
Jesse E Edwards Registry of Cardiovascular Disease, United Hospital, St Paul, MN, USA
Circulation 102:649-54. 2000..Large autopsy series may provide a unique opportunity to confirm structural normalcy of the heart before reviewing a patient's clinical history...
- Current burden of sudden cardiac death: multiple source surveillance versus retrospective death certificate-based review in a large U.S. communitySumeet S Chugh
Heart Rhythm Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 44:1268-75. 2004..To assess the validity of retrospective surveillance, a simultaneous comparison was made with a death certificate-based method of determining SCD incidence...
- Postmortem molecular screening in unexplained sudden deathSumeet S Chugh
Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, 97239, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:1625-9. 2004..We examined the prevalence of defects in arrhythmia-related candidate genes among patients with unexplained sudden cardiac death (SCD)...
- Cardiac pathologic findings reveal a high rate of sudden cardiac death of undetermined etiology in younger womenSumeet S Chugh
Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Ore 97239, USA
Am Heart J 146:635-9. 2003..In contrast, the sudden cardiac death rate in age-matched men showed a decreasing trend (-2.8%). Due to under-representation of younger adults in published autopsy series, etiologies of sudden cardiac death merit further investigation...
- Epidemiology of sudden cardiac death: clinical and research implicationsSumeet S Chugh
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Prog Cardiovasc Dis 51:213-28. 2008....
- Genetic basis for chamber-specific ventricular phenotypes in the rat infarct modelSumeet S Chugh
Division of Cardiology, Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Cardiovasc Res 57:477-85. 2003..The existence of this and other such distinct electrophysiologic phenotypes in right (RV) vs. left ventricles (LV) could be explained by chamber-specific patterns of gene expression...
- Amplified effects of d,l-sotalol in canine dilated cardiomyopathyS S Chugh
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 24:1783-8. 2001..While using d,l-sotalol in heart failure, independent additional effects due to ventricular electrical remodeling may be a consideration...
- Altered response to ibutilide in a heart failure modelS S Chugh
Division of Cardiovascular Disease, Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, MN, USA
Cardiovasc Res 49:94-102. 2001..Despite the frequent use of anti-arrhythmic drugs in the general population, the electrophysiologic effects of these agents have not been elucidated in congestive heart failure (CHF)...
- Quantification of diffuse myocardial fibrosis and its association with myocardial dysfunction in congenital heart diseaseCraig S Broberg
Adult Congenital Heart Disease Program, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Ore, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Imaging 3:727-34. 2010..the etiology of ventricular dysfunction in adult congenital heart disease (ACHD) is not well understood. Diffuse fibrosis is a likely common final pathway and is quantifiable using MRI...
- Global remodeling of the ventricular interstitium in idiopathic myocardial fibrosis and sudden cardiac deathBenjamin T John
Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon, USA
Heart Rhythm 1:141-9. 2004..CONCLUSION: IMF involves diffuse and heterogeneous remodeling of the ventricular interstitium, with a predilection for the LV inferior wall. TGF-beta(1) is a potential mediator of interstitial remodeling in IMF and SCD...
- Independent contribution of diabetes to increased prevalence and incidence of atrial fibrillationGregory A Nichols
Kaiser Permanente Center for Health Research, Portland, Oregon, USA
Diabetes Care 32:1851-6. 2009..We sought to compare the prevalence and incidence of atrial fibrillation in age- and sex-matched patients with and without type 2 diabetes...
- Determinants of prolonged QT interval and their contribution to sudden death risk in coronary artery disease: the Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death StudySumeet S Chugh
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, USA
Circulation 119:663-70. 2009..We evaluated determinants of prolonged QTc and the relationship of prolonged QTc to SCD risk among patients with coronary artery disease in the general population...
- Physical activity as a trigger of sudden cardiac arrest: the Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death StudyPulla R Reddy
Cardiac Arrhythmia Center, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, United States
Int J Cardiol 131:345-9. 2009..Vigorous physical activity has been suggested as a prominent trigger but has not been well-evaluated in the general population. We performed a community-based study to analyze the role of physical activity as a potential trigger of SCA...
- Early changes in gene expression that influence the course of primary glomerular diseaseL C Clement
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Kidney Int 72:337-47. 2007..Our studies suggest that an early and persistent change in mostly steroid-resistant glomerular gene expression is the hallmark of severe and progressive glomerular disease...
- Incidence of sudden cardiac arrest is higher in areas of low socioeconomic status: a prospective two year study in a large United States communityKyndaron Reinier
Heart Rhythm Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Resuscitation 70:186-92. 2006..For effective deployment of strategies for community-based prevention such as the automated external defibrillator, neighborhood socioeconomic status is likely to be an important consideration...
- Arrhythmias after orthotopic heart transplantationEric C Stecker
Department of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, 97201, USA
J Card Fail 11:464-72. 2005..At the same time, autonomic denervation and altered anatomy after transplantation complicate drug and device therapies...
- Nonautomatic focal atrial tachycardia: characterization and ablation of a poorly understood arrhythmia in 38 patientsJanneke A E Kammeraad
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, 707 SW Gaines Road, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 26:736-42. 2003..In conclusion, NAFAT is a rare arrhythmia which predominantly affects women with no other associated cardiac disease. It mainly occurs in the right atrium, affects all ages and is amenable to catheter ablation...
- Apparent protective effect of increased left ventricular wall thickness in an ICD populationVivek Dogra
Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Card Fail 9:412-5. 2003..Because LV mass was unchanged, this finding may reflect the importance of LV dilation and wall thinning (ie, eccentric remodeling) as a risk factor for recurrent ventricular arrhythmia in ICD patients...
- Population-based analysis of sudden cardiac death with and without left ventricular systolic dysfunction: two-year findings from the Oregon Sudden Unexpected Death StudyEric C Stecker
Heart Rhythm Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon
J Am Coll Cardiol 47:1161-6. 2006..The SCD cases with normal LV function had several distinguishing clinical characteristics. These findings support the aggressive development of alternative screening methods to enhance identification of patients at risk...
- Native QRS duration predicts the occurrence of arrhythmic events in ICD recipientsEric C Stecker
Heart Rhythm Research Laboratory, Division of Cardiology, UHN-62, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Europace 8:859-62. 2006..Extent of QRS prolongation could guide the decision to initiate prophylactic anti-arrhythmic therapy in ICD patients...
- Genomics in sudden cardiac deathDan E Arking
McKusick Nathans Institute of Genetic Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 733 N Broadway, Room 580, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Circ Res 94:712-23. 2004..The development of novel strategies to identify contributors to susceptibility in common cardiac phenotypes is most likely to lead to new and relevant therapeutic targets for SCD...
- Confronting the genetic complexity of atrial fibrillation: this too shall passSumeet S Chugh
Heart Rhythm 4:476-7. 2007
- Learning from a real-world analysis of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator recipients: comorbidities matterSumeet S Chugh
J Am Coll Cardiol 49:2416-8. 2007
- Determinants of Sudden Death Risk with Left Ventricular HypertrophySumeet Chugh; Fiscal Year: 2007..A postmortem, case control approach will be used to compare LV myocardial interstitial remodeling in a subgroup of SCD cases with isolated LVH, vs. controls with isolated LVH, vs. normal controls. ..