Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Chou R, Gordon D, de Leon Casasola O, Rosenberg J, Bickler S, Brennan T, et al. Management of Postoperative Pain: A Clinical Practice Guideline From the American Pain Society, the American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine, and the American Society of Anesthesiologists' Committee on Regional Anesthesia, Executive . J Pain. 2016;17:131-57 pubmed publisher..Safe and effective postoperative pain management should be on the basis of a plan of care tailored to the individual and the surgical procedure involved, and multimodal regimens are recommended in many situations. ..
- Chou R, Deyo R, Jarvik J. Appropriate use of lumbar imaging for evaluation of low back pain. Radiol Clin North Am. 2012;50:569-85 pubmed publisher..This article reviews current trends and practice patterns in lumbar spine imaging, direct and downstream costs, benefits and harms, current recommendations, and potential strategies for reducing imaging overuse. ..
- Chou R, Shekelle P. Will this patient develop persistent disabling low back pain?. JAMA. 2010;303:1295-302 pubmed publisher..The most helpful components for predicting persistent disabling low back pain were maladaptive pain coping behaviors, nonorganic signs, functional impairment, general health status, and presence of psychiatric comorbidities. ..
- Chou R. 2009 Clinical Guidelines from the American Pain Society and the American Academy of Pain Medicine on the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain: what are the key messages for clinical practice?. Pol Arch Med Wewn. 2009;119:469-77 pubmed
- Chou R, Fanciullo G, Fine P, Adler J, Ballantyne J, Davies P, et al. Clinical guidelines for the use of chronic opioid therapy in chronic noncancer pain. J Pain. 2009;10:113-30 pubmed publisher..Although evidence is limited in many areas related to use of opioids for chronic noncancer pain, this guideline provides recommendations developed by a multidisciplinary expert panel after a systematic review of the evidence. ..
- Chou R, Selph S, Buckley D, Fu R, Griffin J, Grusing S, et al. Comparative Effectiveness of Fluorescent Versus White Light Cystoscopy for Initial Diagnosis or Surveillance of Bladder Cancer on Clinical Outcomes: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. J Urol. 2017;197:548-558 pubmed publisher..Fluorescent cystoscopy with hexaminolevulinic acid may be associated with a decreased risk of progression, but more studies with long-term followup are needed to better understand the effects of the photosensitizer used on progression. ..
- Chou R, Atlas S, Stanos S, Rosenquist R. Nonsurgical interventional therapies for low back pain: a review of the evidence for an American Pain Society clinical practice guideline. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009;34:1078-93 pubmed publisher..Insufficient evidence exists to reliably evaluate other interventional therapies. Few nonsurgical interventional therapies for low back pain have been shown to be effective in randomized, placebo-controlled trials. ..
- Chou R, Dana T. Screening adults for bladder cancer: a review of the evidence for the U.S. preventive services task force. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:461-8 pubmed publisher..Additional research is needed to determine whether screening of adults for bladder cancer leads to better outcomes compared with no screening. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. ..
- Chou R, Cantor A, Zakher B, Mitchell J, Pappas M. Preventing dental caries in children <5 years: systematic review updating USPSTF recommendation. Pediatrics. 2013;132:332-50 pubmed publisher..The objective of this study was to update the 2004 US Preventive Services Task Force systematic review on prevention of caries in children younger than 5 years of age...
- Chou R, Totten A, Carney N, Dandy S, Fu R, Grusing S, et al. Predictive Utility of the Total Glasgow Coma Scale Versus the Motor Component of the Glasgow Coma Scale for Identification of Patients With Serious Traumatic Injuries. Ann Emerg Med. 2017;70:143-157.e6 pubmed publisher..The small differences in discrimination are likely to be clinically unimportant and could be offset by factors such as convenience and ease of use. ..