Benjamin K S Chan
Affiliation: Oregon Health and Science University
- Relationship between resident workload and self-perceived learning on inpatient medicine wards: a longitudinal studyElizabeth M Haney
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
BMC Med Educ 6:35. 2006..Our hypothesis was that the relationship between perceived workload and learning has a maximum point (forming a parabolic curve): that either too many or too few patients results in sub-optimal learning...
- Incident fall risk and physical activity and physical performance among older men: the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men StudyBenjamin K S Chan
Department of Endocrinology, School of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Am J Epidemiol 165:696-703. 2007..69, 0.85). Partitioning components of activity showed no association between fall risk and leisure activities but a positive association with household activities (for highest quartile vs.lowest: relative risk = 1.17, 95% CI: 1.07, 1.28)...
- Systematic review of the incidence and consequences of uterine rupture in women with previous caesarean sectionJeanne Marie Guise
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, UHN 50, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97239 3098, USA
BMJ 329:19-25. 2004..To evaluate the incidence and consequences of uterine rupture in women who have had a delivery by caesarean section...
- Gabapentin versus tricyclic antidepressants for diabetic neuropathy and post-herpetic neuralgia: discrepancies between direct and indirect meta-analyses of randomized controlled trialsRoger Chou
Oregon Evidence Based Practice Center, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Mail Code BICC, Portland, OR 97239, USA
J Gen Intern Med 24:178-88. 2009..Previous systematic reviews concluded that tricyclics antidepressants are superior to gabapentin for neuropathic pain, but were based on indirect comparisons from placebo-controlled trials...
- The effectiveness of primary care-based interventions to promote breastfeeding: systematic evidence review and meta-analysis for the US Preventive Services Task ForceJeanne Marie Guise
Department of Medical Informatics and Clinical Epidemiology and Evidence based Practice Center, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97239, USA
Ann Fam Med 1:70-8. 2003..We wanted to systematically review whether primary care-based interventions improve initiation and duration of breastfeeding...
- Association of low bone mineral density with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor use by older menElizabeth M Haney
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Mailcode L 475, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR 97239, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1246-51. 2007..Osteoblasts and osteocytes express functional serotonin transporters; serotonin transporter gene disruption in mice results in osteopenia; and SSRI use has been associated with increased risk of hip fracture...
- Periodontal health of older men: the MrOS dental studyKATHY R PHIPPS
Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, OR, USA
Gerodontology 26:122-9. 2009..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the prevalence and severity of periodontitis in men of 65+ years and identify demographic and lifestyle factors associated with its presence...
- Physicians' responses to patient-requested cesarean deliveryChiara Ghetti
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, 97239-3098, USA
Birth 31:280-4. 2004..Male physicians were more likely to agree to a patient's request for cesarean delivery than female physicians...
- Postmenopausal estrogen replacement and risk for venous thromboembolism: a systematic review and meta-analysis for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceJill Miller
Oregon Health and Science University, Mail Code BICC 504, 3181 Southwest Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97201, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:680-90. 2002..49 [credible interval, 2.33 to 5.59]). CONCLUSION: Postmenopausal estrogen replacement is associated with an increased risk for venous thromboembolism, and this risk may be highest in the first year of use...
- Breast cancer screening: a summary of the evidence for the U.S. Preventive Services Task ForceLinda L Humphrey
Oregon Health and Science University and Portland Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Mailcode BICC, 3181 SW Sam Jackson Park Road, Portland, OR 97201-3098, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:347-60. 2002..Because these results incorporate several rounds of screening, the actual number of mammograms needed to prevent one death from breast cancer is higher. In addition, each screening has associated risks and costs...
- Postmenopausal hormone replacement therapy and the primary prevention of cardiovascular diseaseLinda L Humphrey
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Oregon Health and Science University, Portland, Oregon 97201, USA
Ann Intern Med 137:273-84. 2002..A valid answer to the role of HRT in the primary prevention of CVD will best come from randomized, controlled trials...
- Medical student evaluation of the quality of hospitalist and nonhospitalist teaching faculty on inpatient medicine rotationsAlan J Hunter
Department of Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University School of Medicine, Portland 97239, USA
Acad Med 79:78-82. 2004..To evaluate the impact of academic hospitalists on third-year medical students during inpatient medicine rotations...
- Potentially avoidable rehospitalizations following acute myocardial infarction by insurance statusJorge A Garcia
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of General Medicine, University of California Davis Medical Center, Sacramento 95817 1498, USA
J Community Health 28:167-84. 2003..2.61; 95% confidence interval, 1.33 to 5.11). Additional studies are needed to define the role of health insurance on clinical outcomes and health care access across a broader range of conditions and communities...
- Management of the low-grade abnormal Pap smear: What are women's preferences?Joy Melnikow
Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of California, Davis, Sacramento 95817, USA
J Fam Pract 51:849-55. 2002..To evaluate preferences among ethnically diverse women for the management of a low-grade abnormal Pap smear result: early colposcopy or observation with repeat Pap smears...