Affiliation: Oklahoma State University
- He Y, Cao X, Li K, Hu Y, Chen Y, BLISSARD G, et al. A genome-wide analysis of antimicrobial effector genes and their transcription patterns in Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:23-37 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these data suggest the existence of a large repertoire of AMPs in M. sexta, whose expression is up-regulated via immune signaling pathways to fight off invading pathogens in a coordinated manner. ..
- Zhang X, Zheng Y, Cao X, Ren R, Yu X, Jiang H. Identification and profiling of Manduca sexta microRNAs and their possible roles in regulating specific transcripts in fat body, hemocytes, and midgut. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:11-22 pubmed publisher..Examining manifold targets, microRNA regulations were suggested of multiple physiological processes. This study has enriched our knowledge of M. sexta microRNAs and how microRNAs potentially coordinate different physiological processes. ..
- Cao X, He Y, Hu Y, Wang Y, Chen Y, Bryant B, et al. The immune signaling pathways of Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:64-74 pubmed publisher..Such information provides a genomic perspective of the intricate signaling system in a non-drosophiline insect. ..
- Zhang X, He Y, Cao X, Gunaratna R, Chen Y, BLISSARD G, et al. Phylogenetic analysis and expression profiling of the pattern recognition receptors: Insights into molecular recognition of invading pathogens in Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:38-50 pubmed publisher..This collection of information is expected to facilitate future biochemical studies detailing their respective roles in this model insect. ..
- Cao X, Jiang H. Integrated modeling of protein-coding genes in the Manduca sexta genome using RNA-Seq data from the biochemical model insect. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:2-10 pubmed publisher..0. Future automation of this process is anticipated to greatly reduce human efforts in generating comprehensive, reliable models of structural genes in other genome projects where extensive RNA-Seq data are available. ..
- Rao X, Cao X, He Y, Hu Y, Zhang X, Chen Y, et al. Structural features, evolutionary relationships, and transcriptional regulation of C-type lectin-domain proteins in Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;62:75-85 pubmed publisher..Together, the gene identification, sequence comparisons, structure modeling, phylogenetic analysis, and expression profiling establish a solid foundation for future studies of M. sexta CTL-domain proteins. ..
- Yang F, Wang Y, He Y, Jiang H. In search of a function of Manduca sexta hemolymph protease-1 in the innate immune system. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2016;76:1-10 pubmed publisher..Together, these results indicate that proHP1 participates in the proPO activation system, although detailed mechanism needs further exploration. ..
- He Y, Wang Y, Yang F, Jiang H. Manduca sexta hemolymph protease-1, activated byÂ anÂ unconventional non-proteolytic mechanism, mediatesÂ immuneÂ responses. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;84:23-31 pubmed publisher..Further research is needed to investigate the conformational change that results in conversion of proHP1 to active proHP1*. ..
- He X, Cao X, He Y, Bhattarai K, Rogers J, Hartson S, et al. Hemolymph proteins of Anopheles gambiae larvae infected by Escherichia coli. Dev Comp Immunol. 2017;74:110-124 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study provided first data on constitution, levels, and possible functions of hemolymph proteins in the mosquito larvae, reflecting complex changes occurring in the fight against E. coli infection. ..
- Cao X, Gulati M, Jiang H. Serine protease-related proteins in the malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;88:48-62 pubmed publisher..This information and analysis, including improved gene models and protein sequences, constitute a solid foundation for functional analysis of the SP-related proteins in A. gambiae. ..
- He Y, Wang Y, Zhao P, Rayaprolu S, Wang X, Cao X, et al. Serpin-9 and -13 regulate hemolymph proteases during immune responses of Manduca sexta. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2017;90:71-81 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that both serpins regulate immune proteases in hemolymph of M. sexta larvae. ..
- Cao X, Jiang H. An analysis of 67 RNA-seq datasets from various tissues at different stages of a model insect, Manduca sexta. BMC Genomics. 2017;18:796 pubmed publisher..sexta. Integrated knowledge of gene functions and expression features will facilitate future functional studies in this biochemical model insect. ..
- Jiang H, Liu S, Zhao P, Pope C. Recombinant expression and biochemical characterization of the catalytic domain of acetylcholinesterase-1 from the African malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2009;39:646-53 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we found that choline inhibited r-AgAChE1, a phenomenon related to the enzyme activity decrease at high concentrations of acetylcholine...
- Hu Y, Wang Y, Deng J, Jiang H. The structure of a prophenoloxidase (PPO) from Anopheles gambiae provides new insights into the mechanism of PPO activation. BMC Biol. 2016;14:2 pubmed publisher..This study provides new insights into the mechanisms of PPO activation and enzymatic catalysis of PO. ..