Affiliation: Ochsner Clinic Foundation
- Treatment of recurrent hepatitis C in liver transplant recipients: is there any histologic benefit?Satheesh Nair
Division of Gastroenterology, Abdominal Organ Transplant Center, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Liver Transpl 9:354-9. 2003..In an intention to treat analysis, the overall benefit of antiviral treatment in recurrent hepatitis C is disappointing, with little impact on the progression of fibrosis...
- Sirolimus monotherapy in nephrotoxicity due to calcineurin inhibitors in liver transplant recipientsSatheesh Nair
Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Liver Transpl 9:126-9. 2003..In liver transplant recipients with chronic renal insufficiency, conversion to sirolimus-based immunosuppression allows complete withdrawal of CIs, leading to some improvement in renal function...
- Metformin in the treatment of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis: a pilot open label trialS Nair
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 20:23-8. 2004..Insulin sensitizing agents may be useful in treatment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease...
- Is obesity an independent risk factor for hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis?Satheesh Nair
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation BH 309, 1514 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Hepatology 36:150-5. 2002..However, as this study is based on patients with advanced cirrhosis, our findings need to be confirmed in a broader population of individuals with cirrhosis...
- Correlation between portal/hepatic vein gradient and response to transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt creation in refractory ascitesSatheesh Nair
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Foundation Hospital, BH 309, 1514 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, Louisiana 70121, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 15:1431-4. 2004..The purpose of the present study was to determine whether there was any correlation between PHG and control of ascites after TIPS creation...
- Induction with rabbit antithymocyte globulin versus induction with corticosteroids in liver transplantation: impact on recurrent hepatitis C virus infectionSatheesh Nair
Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Transplantation 81:620-2. 2006..It appears that steroid-free liver transplantation with RATG induction does not have any negative influence on HCV recurrence in hepatitis C patients after liver transplantation...
- Efficacy of interferon based antiviral therapy for recurrent hepatitis C in patients who received steroid free immunosuppression for liver transplantationSatheesh Nair
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Transplantation 86:418-22. 2008..In this article, we explore the virological response to two types of interferon based treatment in recurrent hepatitis C virus in liver recipients who received thymoglobulin induction...
- Steroid-free liver transplantation using rabbit antithymocyte globulin and early tacrolimus monotherapyJames D Eason
Section of Abdominal Transplantation, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, 1514 Jefferson Highway, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Transplantation 75:1396-9. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Steroid-free liver transplantation using RATG and early tacrolimus monotherapy effectively reduces immunosuppression-related complications with excellent survival...
- Steroid-free liver transplantation using rabbit antithymocyte globulin induction: results of a prospective randomized trialJ D Eason
Ochsner Multi Organ Transplant Center, 1514 Jefferson Hwy, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Liver Transpl 7:693-7. 2001..This prospective randomized trial gives encouraging support that steroids can be safely eliminated in OLT...
- Severe hepatitis C infection in a renal transplant recipient following hepatitis C genotype mismatch transplantThomas Schussler
Section of Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Am J Transplant 4:1375-8. 2004..Our report highlights the risk of genotype-mismatch transplants in solid organ transplantation...
- Allograft transmission of hepatitis C virus infection from infected donors in cardiac transplantationElizabeth File
Department of Internal Medicine, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Transplantation 76:1096-100. 2003..Hearts from infected patients should probably be restricted to those recipients who already have evidence for hepatitis C or are in need of emergent transplantation...
- Does lamivudine prophylaxis eradicate persistent HBV DNA from allografts derived from anti-HBc-positive donors?George E Loss
Division of Abdominal Transplant Surgery, Ochsner Multi Organ Transplant Center, Ochsner Clinic Foundation Hospital, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Liver Transpl 9:1258-64. 2003..Nevertheless, there is no evidence to suggest that viral eradication occurs. Accordingly, all patients are maintained on continued lamivudine prophylaxis...
- Obesity and its effect on survival in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation in the United StatesSatheesh Nair
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic, New Orleans, LA, USA
Hepatology 35:105-9. 2002..Weight loss should be recommended for all patients awaiting a liver transplantation, especially if their BMI is more than 35 kg/m(2)...
- Tolerance: is it worth the risk?James D Eason
Section of Abdominal Transplantation, Ochsner Clinic Foundation, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Transplantation 79:1157-9. 2005..The purpose of this study was to determine the safety and feasibility of withdrawing immunosuppression in OLT recipients to achieve tolerance...
- Serum alanine aminotransferase flares during interferon treatment of chronic hepatitis B: is sustained clearance of HBV DNA dependent on levels of pretreatment viremia?S Nair
Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Clinic, New Orleans, LA 70121, USA
Hepatology 34:1021-6. 2001..We conclude that a virologic response in patients with high-level viremia is dependent on the degree of ALT flare. Induction of a robust flare may enhance virologic response when high-level viremia is detected...
- Progressive gastrointestinal histoplasmosis leading to colonic obstruction two years after initial presentationH Hertan
Division of Gastroenterology, Our Lady of Mercy Medical Center, New York Medical College, Bronx 10466, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:221-2. 2001..The patient refused surgery and died of colonic perforation. We discuss the diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal histoplasmosis in this report...
- Effect of race on outcome of orthotopic liver transplantation: a cohort studySatheesh Nair
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Ochsner Medical Foundation, New Orleans, LA, USA
Lancet 359:287-93. 2002..The higher rate of chronic rejection in African Americans and a relatively worse outcome in other minority races merits further examination...
- Pretransplant renal function predicts survival in patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantationSatheesh Nair
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Hepatology 35:1179-85. 2002..In conclusion, our findings suggest that when Mayo End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) score is used to prioritize organ allocation, lower-than-expected graft and patient survival rates may be seen...
- Hepatic ATP reserve and efficiency of replenishing: comparison between obese and nonobese normal individualsSatheesh Nair
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 98:466-70. 2003..CONCLUSIONS: Reduced hepatic ATP stores are more prevalent in overweight and obese subjects than in lean subjects. However, a cause-effect relationship between these abnormalities was not demonstrated by our study...
- Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi strains from which SPI7, a 134-kilobase island with genes for Vi exopolysaccharide and other functions, has been deletedSatheesh Nair
Department of Biological Sciences, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 1N4
J Bacteriol 186:3214-23. 2004..We propose that these deletions occurred during storage following isolation...
- Acute autoimmune hepatitis presenting with centrizonal liver disease: case report and review of the literatureRanvir Singh
Am J Gastroenterol 97:2670-3. 2002..Over the course of several months, the histological appearance evolved to what is more commonly associated with chronic autoimmune hepatitis. A review of the literature on this interesting entity is presented...
- Characterization of Salmonella serovars by PCR-single-strand conformation polymorphism analysisSatheesh Nair
Institute of Postgraduate Studies and Research, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Clin Microbiol 40:2346-51. 2002..enterica serovar Newport strains. PCR-SSCP has the potential to complement classical typing methods such as serotyping and phage typing for the typing of Salmonella serovars due to its rapidity, simplicity, and typeability...
- Chronic pancreatitis. Long-term pain relief with or without surgery, cancer risk, and mortalityPaul J Thuluvath
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21287, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 36:159-65. 2003..Long-term pain relief was similar in patients with alcoholic and nonalcoholic pancreatitis...
- Vi antigen expression in Salmonella enterica serovar Typhi clinical isolates from PakistanJohn Wain
Investigative Sciences, Centre for Molecular Microbiology and Infection, Imperial College, London, United Kingdom
J Clin Microbiol 43:1158-65. 2005....
- Is type II diabetes another extrahepatic manifestation of HCV infection?Andrew Mason
Am J Gastroenterol 98:243-6. 2003
- Mortality from hepatocellular and biliary cancers: changing epidemiological trendsSatheesh Nair
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 97:167-71. 2002..This increase was more evident among men and white Americans. Deaths due to BCs increased modestly during the same period of observation. The marked rise in BC-related deaths among African Americans remains unexplained...
- Multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serovar paratyphi A harbors IncHI1 plasmids similar to those found in serovar typhiKathryn E Holt
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SA, UK
J Bacteriol 189:4257-64. 2007..Our data show that these serovar Typhi and Paratyphi A IncHI1 plasmids share highly conserved core DNA and have acquired similar mobile elements encoding antibiotic resistance genes in past decades...