Mark Frederick McCarty
Affiliation: NutriGuard Research
- McCarty M. Induction of heat shock proteins may combat insulin resistance. Med Hypotheses. 2006;66:527-34 pubmed..The possible complementarity of bimoclomol and lipoic acid for heat shock protein induction should be assessed, and further efforts to identify well-tolerated agents active in this regard are warranted. ..
- McCarty M, Barroso Aranda J, Contreras F. Practical strategies for suppressing hypoxia-inducible factor activity in cancer therapy. Med Hypotheses. 2010;74:789-97 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive strategies for suppressing HIF-1 activity can be expected to complement the efficacy of cancer chemotherapy and of effective anti-angiogenic regimens. ..
- McCarty M, Barroso Aranda J, Contreras F. Oxidative stress therapy for solid tumors - a proposal. Med Hypotheses. 2010;74:1052-4 pubmed publisher..Cell culture studies could be employed to devise effective protocols that could be tested in xenografted rodents and, ultimately, in exploratory clinical trials. ..
- McCarty M. Up-regulation of PPARgamma coactivator-1alpha as a strategy for preventing and reversing insulin resistance and obesity. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64:399-407 pubmed..Phytanic acid, a branched-chain fatty acid found in omnivore diets, can also activate PPARdelta, and thus should be examined with respect to its impact on mitochondrial biogenesis and insulin sensitivity. ..
- McCarty M. A chlorogenic acid-induced increase in GLP-1 production may mediate the impact of heavy coffee consumption on diabetes risk. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64:848-53 pubmed
- McCarty M. Hyperinsulinemia may boost both hematocrit and iron absorption by up-regulating activity of hypoxia-inducible factor-1alpha. Med Hypotheses. 2003;61:567-73 pubmed..People who are insulin resistant can minimize any health risk associated with iron overload by avoiding heme-rich flesh foods and donating blood regularly. ..
- McCarty M, Barroso Aranda J, Contreras F. The "rejuvenatory" impact of lipoic acid on mitochondrial function in aging rats may reflect induction and activation of PPAR-gamma coactivator-1alpha. Med Hypotheses. 2009;72:29-33 pubmed publisher..g. glutathione and heme oxygenase-1), but also induction of various proteins that function expressly to protect mitochondria from self-generated oxidant stress. Further research is required to evaluate this model. ..