Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Musical experience influences statistical learning of a novel languageAnthony Shook
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Am J Psychol 126:95-104. 2013..We suggest that musical experience may improve processing of statistical information and that musicians' enhanced ability to learn statistical probabilities in a novel Morse code language may extend to natural language learning...
- Bimodal bilinguals co-activate both languages during spoken comprehensionAnthony Shook
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, 2240 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Cognition 124:314-24. 2012....
- Subcortical encoding of sound is enhanced in bilinguals and relates to executive function advantagesJennifer Krizman
Auditory Neuroscience Laboratory, Department of Communication Sciences, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 109:7877-81. 2012..This study provides biological evidence for system-wide neural plasticity in auditory experts that facilitates a tight coupling of sensory and cognitive functions...
- CLEARPOND: cross-linguistic easy-access resource for phonological and orthographic neighborhood densitiesViorica Marian
Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois, USA
PLoS ONE 7:e43230. 2012..CLEARPOND is freely-available to researchers and the public as a searchable, online database and for download at http://clearpond.northwestern.edu...
- Bilingualism and inhibitory control influence statistical learning of novel word formsJames Bartolotti
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University Evanston, IL, USA
Front Psychol 2:324. 2011..We conclude that the ability to extract novel words from continuous speech is a skill that is affected both by linguistic factors, such as bilingual experience, and by cognitive abilities, such as inhibitory control...