Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Efficacy of tramadol in treatment of chronic low back painT J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Rheumatol 27:772-8. 2000..To evaluate the efficacy and safety of tramadol in the treatment of chronic low back pain...
- The new analgesic combination tramadol/acetaminophenT Schnitzer
Department of Medicine, Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Eur J Anaesthesiol Suppl 28:13-7. 2003..This article discusses the rationale, efficacy and safety for a novel analgesic combination: tramadol and acetaminophen (paracetamol)...
- COX-2-selective inhibitors in the treatment of arthritisThomas J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cleve Clin J Med 69:SI20-30. 2002..The use of coxibs to treat OA and RA is recommended as first-line therapy when symptoms of pain and inflammation are present in patients vulnerable to potential NSAID-associated GI toxicity...
- Comparison of the COX-inhibiting nitric oxide donator AZD3582 and rofecoxib in treating the signs and symptoms of Osteoarthritis of the kneeThomas J Schnitzer
Northwestern Center for Clinical Research, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:827-37. 2005....
- Update on alendronate for osteoporosis: once-weekly dosingT J Schnitzer
Northwestern University, Clinical Research and Training, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Expert Opin Pharmacother 2:1461-72. 2001..Sales data several months after introduction of once-weekly alendronate into the marketplace demonstrate rapid and extensive acceptance of this new regimen...
- Osteoarthritis management: the role of cyclooxygenase-2-selective inhibitorsT J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Clin Ther 23:313-326; discussion 311-2. 2001..The most recent OA guidelines from the American College of Rheumatology were published in 2000 because new therapies such as the COX-2-selective inhibitors had been introduced for the management of OA...
- Results of a phase-I/II randomized, masked, placebo-controlled trial of recombinant human interleukin-11 (rhIL-11) in the treatment of subjects with active rheumatoid arthritisL Moreland
Department of Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL 35294, USA
Arthritis Res 3:247-52. 2001..The only adverse event clearly associated with rhIL-11 administration was reaction at the injection site...
- Lumiracoxib in the treatment of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and acute postoperative dental pain: results of three dose-response studiesThomas J Schnitzer
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 21:151-61. 2005..001). Lumiracoxib was well tolerated in all studies. CONCLUSIONS: These studies provide initial evidence that lumiracoxib is an effective, well-tolerated agent for the treatment of chronic and acute pain...
- Effects of doxycycline on progression of osteoarthritis: results of a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind trialKenneth D Brandt
Indiana University School of Medicine, Rheumatology Division, Indianapolis, IN 46202 5100, USA
Arthritis Rheum 52:2015-25. 2005..To confirm preclinical data suggesting that doxycycline can slow the progression of osteoarthritis (OA). The primary outcome measure was joint space narrowing (JSN) in the medial tibiofemoral compartment...
- Severity of joint pain and Kellgren-Lawrence grade at baseline are better predictors of joint space narrowing than bone scintigraphy in obese women with knee osteoarthritisSteven A Mazzuca
Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine IUSM, Indianapolis, 46202, USA
J Rheumatol 32:1540-6. 2005....
- Efficacy of rofecoxib, celecoxib, and acetaminophen in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee. A combined analysis of the VACT studiesThomas J Schnitzer
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Rheumatol 32:1093-105. 2005..5 mg (n=259), or rofecoxib 25 mg (n=527) in a double blind trial [Vioxx, Acetaminophen, Celecoxib Trial (VACT2)]. Results were also pooled with the similarly designed VACT1 trial...
- Need for common internal controls when assessing the relative efficacy of pharmacologic agents using a meta-analytic approach: case study of cyclooxygenase 2-selective inhibitors for the treatment of osteoarthritisChin Lee
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Arthritis Rheum 53:510-8. 2005..To evaluate the role of common internal controls in a meta-analysis of the relative efficacy of cyclooxygenase 2-selective inhibitors (coxibs) in the treatment of osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Response to expression of concern regarding VIGOR studyClaire Bombardier
N Engl J Med 354:1196-9. 2006
- Glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, and the two in combination for painful knee osteoarthritisDaniel O Clegg
Division of Rheumatology, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, UT 84132, USA
N Engl J Med 354:795-808. 2006..The multicenter, double-blind, placebo- and celecoxib-controlled Glucosamine/chondroitin Arthritis Intervention Trial (GAIT) evaluated their efficacy and safety as a treatment for knee pain from osteoarthritis...
- Pain management today - optimising the benefit/risk ratio: defining the role of weak opioids and combination analgesicsThomas J Schnitzer
Clin Rheumatol 25:S1. 2006
- Update on guidelines for the treatment of chronic musculoskeletal painThomas J Schnitzer
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 710 North Lake Shore, 10th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Clin Rheumatol 25:S22-9. 2006....
- Subject retention and adherence in a randomized placebo-controlled trial of a disease-modifying osteoarthritis drugSteven A Mazzuca
Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, 46202 5100, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:933-40. 2004..To describe the methods by which remarkable levels of subject retention and adherence were achieved in a 30-month multicenter randomized placebo-controlled trial (RCT) of a disease-modifying osteoarthritis drug (DMOAD)...
- A comparison of the efficacy and safety of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory agents versus acetaminophen in the treatment of osteoarthritis: a meta-analysisChin Lee
Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:746-54. 2004....
- Efficacy of rofecoxib, celecoxib, and acetaminophen in osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized trialGregory P Geba
Merck and Co Inc, US Human Health, PO Box 4, West Point, PA 19486 0004, USA
JAMA 287:64-71. 2002..Osteoarthritis (OA) is often treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), acetaminophen, or specific inhibitors of cyclooxygenase 2 (COX-2)...
- Update of ACR guidelines for osteoarthritis: role of the coxibsThomas J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University Medical School, Evanston, IL 60611, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 23:S24-30; discussion S31-4. 2002..It is anticipated that the guidelines for the management of OA will continue to evolve as new therapies become available...
- Serious lower gastrointestinal clinical events with nonselective NSAID or coxib useLoren Laine
University of Southern California School of Medicine, Los Angeles 90033, USA
Gastroenterology 124:288-92. 2003..We performed a post hoc analysis of serious lower GI clinical events with a nonselective NSAID and a COX-2-selective agent in a prospective, double-blind, randomized GI outcomes trial...
- Means, responders, and meaning: evaluation of clinical trials in osteoarthritisThomas J Schnitzer
Arthritis Rheum 48:3001-3. 2003
- An observational, retrospective, cohort study of dosing patterns for rofecoxib and celecoxib in the treatment of arthritisThomas J Schnitzer
Northwestern Center for Clinical Research, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Ther 25:3162-72. 2003..However, these conclusions are limited by lack of clinical information (other than an OA or RA diagnosis), inability to ascertain actual use, and potential for selection bias...
- Comparison of lumiracoxib with naproxen and ibuprofen in the Therapeutic Arthritis Research and Gastrointestinal Event Trial (TARGET), reduction in ulcer complications: randomised controlled trialThomas J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Lancet 364:665-74. 2004....
- Comparison of lumiracoxib with naproxen and ibuprofen in the Therapeutic Arthritis Research and Gastrointestinal Event Trial (TARGET), cardiovascular outcomes: randomised controlled trialMichael E Farkouh
Cardiovascular Clinical Research Center, New York University School of Medicine, 530 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Lancet 364:675-84. 2004....
- Efficacy and safety of four doses of lumiracoxib versus diclofenac in patients with knee or hip primary osteoarthritis: a phase II, four-week, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialThomas J Schnitzer
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Arthritis Rheum 51:549-57. 2004..To compare the efficacy and tolerability of the novel cyclooxygenase 2-selective inhibitor lumiracoxib with placebo and diclofenac in osteoarthritis (OA)...
- Rofecoxib 12.5 mg, rofecoxib 25 mg, and celecoxib 200 mg in the treatment of symptomatic osteoarthritis: results of two similarly designed studiesSteven S Smugar
Merck and Co, Inc, West Point, PA 19486 0004, USA
Curr Med Res Opin 22:1353-67. 2006..To compare the efficacy of rofecoxib and celecoxib for the treatment of knee or hip OA over 6 weeks...
- A comprehensive review of clinical trials on the efficacy and safety of drugs for the treatment of low back painThomas J Schnitzer
Office of Clinical Research and Training, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Pain Symptom Manage 28:72-95. 2004..More rigorously designed trials should be implemented to establish comparative efficacy and safety of drugs used to treat chronic and acute LBP...
- Alendronate improves bone mineral density in elderly women with osteoporosis residing in long-term care facilities. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trialSusan L Greenspan
University of Pittsburgh Osteoporosis Prevention and Treatment Center, 1110 Kaufmann Building, 3471 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:742-6. 2002..001). CONCLUSION: Alendronate increased BMD at both the spine and hip in elderly female residents of long-term care facilities...