Affiliation: Northwestern University
- High-frequency sensitivity of the mature gerbil cochlea and its developmentEdward H Overstreet
Institute for Neuroscience and Hugh Knowles Center, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, Evanston, Ill 60208, USA
Audiol Neurootol 8:19-27. 2003..The results for neonates confirm that the extreme basal region of the cochlea is the last to approach maturity, with substantial development occurring between 20 and 30 days after birth...
- Optical stimulation of the facial nerve: a new monitoring technique?Ingo Ulrik Teudt
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1641-7. 2007..In contrast to electrical stimulation, pulsed infrared optical radiation can be used to safely and selectively stimulate neural tissue and might be valuable for screening...
- Laser stimulation of the auditory nerveAgnella D Izzo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Lasers Surg Med 38:745-53. 2006..In contrast to electric stimulation, optical radiation can provide spatially selective neural stimulation without tissue contact...
- Selectivity of neural stimulation in the auditory system: a comparison of optic and electric stimuliAgnella D Izzo
Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering, 2145 Sheridan Road, Tech E310, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:021008. 2007..In the auditory system, optical stimulation of nerves could have a significant impact on the performance of cochlear implants, which can be limited by the electric current spread...
- Laser stimulation of auditory neurons: effect of shorter pulse duration and penetration depthAgnella D Izzo
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Biophys J 94:3159-66. 2008..The implications of these data could direct further research and design of an optical cochlear implant...
- Quantitative X-ray tomography of the mouse cochleaChristoph Rau
Diamond Light Source Ltd, Diamond House, Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 7:e33568. 2012..Cross-sectional areas of the scalae were measured. The results provide a realistic and quantitative reconstruction of the cochlea...
- Unbiased counting of neurons in the cochlea of developing gerbilsC P Richter
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Searle 12 561, Chicago, IL 60611 3008, USA
Hear Res 278:43-51. 2011..We propose that a standardized counting protocol be implemented across studies and suggest possible approaches to different types of comparisons between neurons of spiral ganglia from different sources...
- Imaging of cochlear tissue with a grating interferometer and hard X-raysClaus Peter Richter
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Microsc Res Tech 72:902-7. 2009..Radiographic and light microscopy images of the gerbil cochlear slice samples were compared. It has been determined that a 20-mum thick tissue slice induces a phase shift between 1/3pi and 2/3pi...
- Optical stimulation of auditory neurons: effects of acute and chronic deafeningClaus Peter Richter
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Searle 12 561, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hear Res 242:42-51. 2008..However, in chronically deaf animals optically evoked CAP thresholds were elevated. Changes correlated with the number of surviving spiral ganglion cells and the optical parameters that were used for stimulation...
- Tectorial membrane stiffness gradientsClaus Peter Richter
Auditory Physiology Laboratory The Hugh Knowles Center, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Northwestern University, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Biophys J 93:2265-76. 2007..Young's modulus, which was obtained from measurements performed in the transversal direction, decreased by -2.6 dB/mm from base to apex...
- Stiffness of the gerbil basilar membrane: radial and longitudinal variationsGulam Emadi
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston 60208, USA
J Neurophysiol 91:474-88. 2004..The bulk of our data was obtained in the hemicochlea preparation, and we include a comparison of this set of data to data obtained in vivo...
- Otoprotective effects of dexamethasone in the management of pneumococcal meningitis: an animal studyHarold H Kim
Wilson Ear Clinic, Portland, Oregon 97209, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1209-15. 2007..To determine whether treating pneumococcal meningitis with a combined antibiotic and steroid regime will prevent cochlear damage, a common pneumococcal meningitis side effect...
- Optical parameter variability in laser nerve stimulation: a study of pulse duration, repetition rate, and wavelengthAgnella D Izzo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:1108-14. 2007..The technology of optical stimulation could significantly improve cochlear implants, which are hampered by a lack of spatial selectivity...
- Modifying cochlear implant design: advantages of placing a return electrode in the modiolusSteven Y Ho
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University School of Medicine, Hinsdale, IL, USA
Otol Neurotol 25:497-503. 2004..A modiolar return electrode significantly increases the current flow across spiral ganglion cells into the modiolus, and may decrease the cochlear implant's power requirements...
- Tissue resistivities determine the current flow in the cochleaAlan Gerard Micco
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, The Hugh Knowles Center, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 14:352-5. 2006..Problems that refer to the current spread and subsequent nonselective stimulation of spiral ganglion cells in the cochlea are reviewed...
- Electrical resistivity measurements in the mammalian cochlea after neural degenerationAlan G Micco
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 330 E Superior, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Laryngoscope 116:1334-41. 2006..However, one of the model's shortcomings is that most of the values for tissue impedances are not direct measurements. They are derived from bulk impedance measurements, which are fitted to lumped-element models...
- Cochlear preservation after meningitis: an animal model confirmation of adjunctive steroid therapyJohn Addison
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Laryngoscope 116:279-82. 2006..The objective of the present study was to determine whether treating pneumococcal meningitis with a combined antibiotic and steroid regime will prevent cochlear damage, a common pneumococcal meningitis side effect...
- The hemicochlea preparation of the guinea pig and other mammalian cochleaeIngo Ulrik Teudt
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 303 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 3008, USA
J Neurosci Methods 162:187-97. 2007..Dimensions obtained for selected cochlear structures at different locations along the guinea pig cochleae provide an improved basis for cochlear models...
- Motion analysis in the hemicochleaHongxue Cai
Section on Auditory Mechanics, National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Biophys J 85:1929-37. 2003..The micromechanics of the organ of Corti and the tectorial membrane is then analyzed by our new method...
- Prestin expression in the cochlea of the reeler mouseJing Zheng
Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 2240 Campus Drive, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208 3650, USA
Neurosci Lett 347:13-6. 2003..Because prestin expression is not affected in reeler mice, prestin's coding region, as well as any regulatory elements, is predicted to lie in the 17 kb that separate prestin's exon 1 from the end of the deletion...