Frank J Palella
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Factors associated with mortality among persistently viraemic triple-antiretroviral-class-experienced patients receiving antiretroviral therapy in the HIV Outpatient Study (HOPS)Frank J Palella
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Antimicrob Chemother 69:2826-34. 2014..Identifying factors associated with mortality for HIV-infected patients with persistent viraemia despite antiretroviral (ARV) therapy may inform diagnostic and treatment strategies...
- Mortality in the highly active antiretroviral therapy era: changing causes of death and disease in the HIV outpatient studyFrank J Palella
Division of Infectious Diseases, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:27-34. 2006..AIDS-related death and disease rates have declined in the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) era and remain low; however, current causes of death in HAART-treated patients remain ill defined...
- The association of HIV susceptibility testing with survival among HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy: a cohort studyFrank J Palella
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:73-84. 2009..HIV-1 genotypic and phenotypic susceptibility testing (GPT) optimizes antiretroviral selection, but its effect on survival is unknown...
- Inflammatory biomarkers and abacavir use in the Women's Interagency HIV Study and the Multicenter AIDS Cohort StudyFrank J Palella
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
AIDS 24:1657-65. 2010..To assess associations between abacavir (ABC) use and systemic inflammation...
- Cardiovascular disease in HIV infectionFrank J Palella
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Curr Opin HIV AIDS 6:266-71. 2011..With improved survival, cardiovascular disease (CVD) has emerged as an important noninfectious chronic comorbidity among antiretroviral (ARV)-treated HIV-infected persons...
- Increased mortality among publicly insured participants in the HIV Outpatient Study despite HAART treatmentFrank J Palella
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
AIDS 25:1865-76. 2011..Understanding mortality differences among HIV-infected patients can focus efforts to improve survival...
- Anthropometrics and examiner-reported body habitus abnormalities in the multicenter AIDS cohort studyFrank J Palella
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Div of Infectious Diseases, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Clin Infect Dis 38:903-7. 2004....
- Survival benefit of initiating antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected persons in different CD4+ cell strataFrank J Palella
Division of Infectious Diseases, The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 676 North Saint Clair, Suite 200, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Ann Intern Med 138:620-6. 2003..Optimal timing of antiretroviral therapy (ART) initiation for HIV-infected persons remains unclear...
- Immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome: incidence and implications for mortalityRichard M Novak
University of Illinois, Chicago, 60612, USA
AIDS 26:721-30. 2012..To describe incidence of immune reconstitution inflammatory syndrome (IRIS) and its association with mortality in a large multisite US HIV-infected cohort applying an objective, comprehensive definition...
- Initiation of HAART at higher CD4 cell counts is associated with a lower frequency of antiretroviral drug resistance mutations at virologic failureJonathan Uy
University of Illinois, Chicago, IL, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 51:450-3. 2009..There are limited data on the risk of developing HIV drug resistance based on the CD4 cell count at which highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) is initiated...
- Factors related to and consequences of adherence to antiretroviral therapy in an ambulatory HIV-infected patient cohortMaria Deloria-Knoll
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
AIDS Patient Care STDS 18:721-7. 2004....
- Increases in duration of first highly active antiretroviral therapy over time (1996-2009) and associated factors in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort StudyLaurence Slama
Tenon Hospital, Division of Infectious Diseases, Pierre and Marie Curie University, Paris, France Department of Epidemiology and Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, John Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD School of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA L A Gay and Lesbian Center, Los Angeles, CA and Division of Infectious Diseases, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 65:57-64. 2014..Duration and type of initial highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) and factors associated with regimen switching were evaluated in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study...
- Guidelines for the management of chronic kidney disease in HIV-infected patients: recommendations of the HIV Medicine Association of the Infectious Diseases Society of AmericaSamir K Gupta
Division of Infectious Diseases, Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Clin Infect Dis 40:1559-85. 2005
- Transient viremia in HIV-infected patients and use of plasma preparation tubesValentina Stosor
Division of Infectious Diseases, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Clin Infect Dis 41:1671-4. 2005..We caution clinicians against the routine use of plasma preparation tubes for collection of blood samples for HIV-1 level 1 quantification...
- HIV therapy, metabolic and cardiovascular health are associated with glomerular hyperfiltration among men with and without HIV infectionDerek K Ng
aDepartment of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health bDepartment of Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland cDepartment of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois dGraduate School of Public Health, Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania eLos Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center, Los Angeles, California fWelch Center for Prevention, Epidemiology and Clinical Research, Baltimore, Maryland gDepartment of Pediatrics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, New York, USA
AIDS 28:377-86. 2014..In the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study, we examined the extent to which hyperfiltration is present and associated with metabolic, cardiovascular, HIV and treatment risk factors among HIV-infected men...
- Subclinical coronary atherosclerosis, HIV infection and antiretroviral therapy: Multicenter AIDS Cohort StudyLawrence A Kingsley
Department of Infectious Diseases and Microbiology, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15261, USA
AIDS 22:1589-99. 2008..To evaluate the association of HIV infection and cumulative exposure to highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) with the presence and extent of coronary artery calcification (CAC)...
- Rates of hospitalizations and associated diagnoses in a large multisite cohort of HIV patients in the United States, 1994-2005Kate Buchacz
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS 22:1345-54. 2008..To assess temporal trends in the rates of hospitalizations and associated diagnoses among HIV-infected patients before and during the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy...
- Safety, tolerability, pharmacokinetics, and efficacy of an interleukin-2 agonist among HIV-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapyRichard T Davey
National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
J Interferon Cytokine Res 28:89-100. 2008..Bay 50-4798 was generally well tolerated across the dose range tested, but a lack of potent, sustained immunologic activity suggests that further optimization of dose and schedule will be necessary...
- Longitudinal increases in waist circumference are associated with HIV-serostatus, independent of antiretroviral therapyTodd T Brown
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Johns Hopkins University, 1830 East Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
AIDS 21:1731-8. 2007..The relative contributions of the different classes of antiretroviral therapy (ART), HIV infection per se, and aging to body shape changes in HIV-infected patients have not been clearly defined in longitudinal studies...
- Factors associated with maintenance of long-term plasma human immunodeficiency virus RNA suppressionScott D Holmberg
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:702-7. 2003....
- Antiretroviral therapy and the prevalence and incidence of diabetes mellitus in the multicenter AIDS cohort studyTodd T Brown
Department of Medicine, School of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:1179-84. 2005..The risk of diabetes mellitus (DM) in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-infected patients receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) has not been well defined...
- Cumulative exposure to nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors is associated with insulin resistance markers in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort StudyTodd T Brown
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
AIDS 19:1375-83. 2005..To estimate insulin resistance and its relationship to antiretroviral therapy (ART) in a cohort of HIV-infected persons with comparison to HIV-seronegative controls...
- Changes in the incidence and predictors of wasting syndrome related to human immunodeficiency virus infection, 1987-1999Ellen Smit
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, School of Medicine and Biological Sciences, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY 14214 3000, USA
Am J Epidemiol 156:211-8. 2002..05) and potent ART (p = 0.097). Predictors of wasting have changed with potent ART. Further research is needed to determine whether lipodystrophy may be misdiagnosed as wasting syndrome...
- C-reactive protein is a marker for human immunodeficiency virus disease progressionBryan Lau
Department of Medicine, The Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
Arch Intern Med 166:64-70. 2006..Limited data on acute-phase C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection exist...
- Longitudinal anthropometric changes in HIV-infected and HIV-uninfected menTodd Brown
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21287, USA
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 43:356-62. 2006....
- Macrolide use and the risk of vascular disease in HIV-infected men in the Multicenter AIDS Cohort StudyIan J Woolley
Infectious Diseases Department, Alfred Hospital, Monash University Medical School, Prahran 3004, Victoria, Australia
Sex Health 4:111-9. 2007..This study examined the risk of thromboembolic events in HIV-infected and non-infected individuals and the effect of macrolide prophylaxis on those outcomes...
- Whole-blood interleukin-18 level during early HIV-1 infection is associated with reduced CXCR4 coreceptor expression and interferon- gamma levelsCarrie A Sailer
Denver Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
J Infect Dis 195:734-8. 2007..During early HIV-1 infection, IL-18 may regulate HIV-1 coreceptor expression and have antiretroviral activity...
- Severe rhabdomyolysis associated with raltegravir useTeresa R Zembower
AIDS 22:1382-4. 2008
- The case for earlier treatment of HIV infectionScott D Holmberg
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1699-704. 2004..Given these accumulating data, we believe reconsideration of the "when-to-start" question is timely and justified...
- US hospital care for patients with HIV infection and pneumonia: the role of public, private, and Veterans Affairs hospitals in the early highly active antiretroviral therapy eraConstance R Uphold
Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Center, North Florida South Georgia Veterans Health System, Research Department, Stop 151, 1601 SW Archer Road, Gainesville, FL 32608 1197, USA
Chest 125:548-56. 2004....
- Incidence of types of cancer among HIV-infected persons compared with the general population in the United States, 1992-2003Pragna Patel
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Emory University, and Northrop Grumman Information Technology, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Ann Intern Med 148:728-36. 2008..Persons who are HIV-infected may be at higher risk for certain types of cancer than the general population...
- A series of skin and soft tissue infections due to methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in HIV-infected patientsEvan J Anderson
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 41:125-7. 2006