Chad A Mirkin
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Yeo D, Wiraja C, Paller A, Mirkin C, Xu C. Abnormal scar identification with spherical-nucleic-acid technology. Nat Biomed Eng. 2018;2:227-238 pubmed publisher..Our proof-of-concept studies of topically applied NanoFlare technology as a means of biopsy-free scar diagnosis may eventually inform therapeutic decisions on the basis of the mRNA-expression patterns of skin disorders. ..
- Chen P, Liu M, Du J, Meckes B, Wang S, Lin H, et al. Interface and heterostructure design in polyelemental nanoparticles. Science. 2019;363:959-964 pubmed publisher..From these observations, design rules have been established for making polyelemental systems with specific heterostructures, including tetraphase nanoparticles with as many as six junctions. ..
- Kluender E, Hedrick J, Brown K, Rao R, Meckes B, Du J, et al. Catalyst discovery through megalibraries of nanomaterials. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2019;116:40-45 pubmed publisher..Au3Cu, a composition not previously known to catalyze SWNT growth, has been identified as the most active composition. ..
- Liu Y, Zhou J, Wasielewski M, Xing H, Mirkin C. A four-state fluorescent molecular switch. Chem Commun (Camb). 2018;54:12041-12044 pubmed publisher..The fluorescence of the compound in both the solution and solid phases can be manipulated through reversible coordination chemistry at the PtII center. ..
- Macfarlane R, Thaner R, Brown K, Zhang J, Lee B, Nguyen S, et al. Importance of the DNA "bond" in programmable nanoparticle crystallization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:14995-5000 pubmed publisher..The agreement between bulk crystallization and the behavior of free oligonucleotides may bear important consequences for constructing novel classes of crystals and incorporating new interparticle bonds in a rational manner. ..
- Shade C, Kennedy R, Rouge J, Rosen M, Wang M, Seo S, et al. Duplex-selective ruthenium-based DNA intercalators. Chemistry. 2015;21:10983-7 pubmed publisher..This complex shows promise as a new dye capable of selectively staining double- versus single-stranded DNA in gel electrophoresis, which cannot be done with conventional SYBR dyes. ..
- Clingerman D, Morris W, Mondloch J, Kennedy R, Sarjeant A, Stern C, et al. Stabilization of a highly porous metal-organic framework utilizing a carborane-based linker. Chem Commun (Camb). 2015;51:6521-3 pubmed publisher..In contrast to the analogous MOF-143, NU-700 can be activated with retention of porosity, yielding a BET surface area of 1870 m(2) g(-1). ..
- Wang S, Morris W, Liu Y, McGuirk C, Zhou Y, Hupp J, et al. Surface-Specific Functionalization of Nanoscale Metal-Organic Frameworks. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2015;54:14738-42 pubmed publisher..Importantly, the surface modification strategy described will allow for the general and divergent synthesis and study of a wide variety of nanoscale MOFs as stable colloidal materials. ..
- O Brien M, Girard M, Lin H, Millan J, Olvera de la Cruz M, Lee B, et al. Exploring the zone of anisotropy and broken symmetries in DNA-mediated nanoparticle crystallization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:10485-90 pubmed publisher..Through comparison of the zone of anisotropy for each particle we develop a foundational roadmap to guide future investigations. ..
- O Brien M, Jones M, Mirkin C. The nature and implications of uniformity in the hierarchical organization of nanomaterials. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016;113:11717-11725 pubmed..Thus, we define the nature of nonuniformity at each length scale as a means to guide ongoing research efforts and highlight potential problems in the field. ..
- Chen P, Liu X, Hedrick J, Xie Z, Wang S, Lin Q, et al. Polyelemental nanoparticle libraries. Science. 2016;352:1565-9 pubmed publisher..Important insight into the factors that lead to alloy formation and phase segregation at the nanoscale were obtained, and routes to libraries of nanostructures that cannot be made by conventional methods were developed. ..
- Kim Y, Macfarlane R, Jones M, Mirkin C. Transmutable nanoparticles with reconfigurable surface ligands. Science. 2016;351:579-82 pubmed publisher..As a result, a nascent set of "transmutable nanoparticles" can be driven to crystallize along multiple thermodynamic trajectories, resulting in rational control over the phase and time evolution of nanoparticle-based matter. ..
- Vega R, Maspoch D, Salaita K, Mirkin C. Nanoarrays of single virus particles. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2005;44:6013-5 pubmed