Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Changes in patient flow among five hospitals participating in a learning collaborativeMegan McHugh
Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, USA
J Healthc Qual 35:21-9. 2013..Results suggest that relatively small changes may lead to improvements in measures of patient flow that are modest, at best...
- Approaches to improving healthcare delivery by multi-stakeholder alliancesMegan C McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies and Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 750 N Lake Shore Dr, 10th Fl, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Manag Care 18:s156-62. 2012....
- Time and expenses associated with the implementation of strategies to reduce emergency department crowdingMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies and Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, 750 N Lake Shore Dr, 10th Floor, Chicago, IL, USA
J Emerg Nurs 38:420-8. 2012..The purpose of this study was to estimate the time spent and expenses incurred as 6 Urgent Matters hospitals planned and implemented strategies to improve patient flow and reduce crowding...
- Medicare's payment policy for hospital-acquired conditions: perspectives of administrators from safety net hospitalsMegan McHugh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Med Care Res Rev 68:667-82. 2011..The findings also illustrate the need for Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services to provide more guidance to the industry when this type of policy is introduced...
- More patients are triaged using the Emergency Severity Index than any other triage acuity system in the United StatesMegan McHugh
Department of Emergency Medicine and Institute for Healthcare Studies, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Acad Emerg Med 19:106-9. 2012..The purpose of this effort was to measure the use of various triage acuity systems in U.S. hospitals...
- Medicare's policy to limit payment for hospital-acquired conditions: the impact on safety net providersMegan McHugh
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Health Care Poor Underserved 22:638-47. 2011..Safety-net hospitals and hospitals with the lowest financial margins may be more likely than others to be affected by policies that reduce payment for HACs...
- Reporting information on emergency department crowding to the hospital board and delivery of time-sensitive careMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies, Department of Emergency Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, USA
Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 38:229-34. 2012....
- Four reasons to confront crowding in the emergency departmentMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, American Hospital Association, Chicago, USA
Trustee 63:33-4, 1. 2010..Emergency department crowding should be a board priority. Here are four reasons why...
- Adoption of CT colonography by US hospitalsMegan McHugh
Institute for Healthcare Studies, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 8:169-74. 2011..The purpose of this study was to identify the percentage of US hospitals that offered CTC between 2005 and 2008 and factors that motivated or impeded adoption...
- Improving evaluations of value-based purchasing programsMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, 155 N Wacker Drive, Suite 400, Chicago, IL 60654, USA
Health Serv Res 45:1559-69. 2010..We offer several recommendations for improving the foundation to conduct evaluations of VBP programs to better inform policy and practice...
- High-performance work systems in health care management, part 1: development of an evidence-informed modelAndrew N Garman
Department of Health Systems Management, Rush University, Chicago, IL
Health Care Manage Rev 36:201-13. 2011..Research from other industries, which has increasingly focused on systems rather than individual practices, has yielded results that may benefit health services management...
- Understanding the safety net: inpatient quality of care varies based on how one defines safety-net hospitalsMegan McHugh
Health Research and Educational Trust, Chicago, IL 60606, USA
Med Care Res Rev 66:590-605. 2009..How one defines safety-net providers can affect health services research outcomes and policy recommendations...