Abel N Kho
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Use of diverse electronic medical record systems to identify genetic risk for type 2 diabetes within a genome-wide association studyAbel N Kho
Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 19:212-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to identify type 2 diabetes (T2D) cases and controls for a GWAS, using data captured through routine clinical care across five institutions using different electronic medical record (EMR) systems...
- Implementing an animated geographic information system to investigate factors associated with nosocomial infections: a novel approachAbel Kho
Regenstrief Institute, Inc, USA
Am J Infect Control 34:578-82. 2006..Two million Americans acquire an infection in the hospital each year, resulting in an estimated 88,000 patient deaths per year...
- Which observations from the complete blood cell count predict mortality for hospitalized patients?Abel N Kho
Regenstrief Institute, Inc
J Hosp Med 2:5-12. 2007..Information on the prognostic utility of the admission complete blood count (CBC) and differential count is lacking...
- Information technology in PBRNs: the Indiana University Medical Group Research Network (IUMG ResNet) experienceAbel Kho
Regenstrief Institute, Indianapolis, IN, USA
J Am Board Fam Med 20:196-203. 2007..Research in practice-based research networks (PBRNs) is hampered by difficulty managing, identifying, and enrolling potential subjects. Well-designed informatics applications can greatly improve these processes...
- An effective computerized reminder for contact isolation of patients colonized or infected with resistant organismsAbel N Kho
Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Int J Med Inform 77:194-8. 2008..To improve contact isolation rates among patients admitted to the hospital with a known history of infection with Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Vancomycin-resistant Enterococci (VRE)...
- Connecting the dots: creation of an electronic regional infection control networkAbel N Kho
Northwestern University, Division of General Internal Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Stud Health Technol Inform 129:213-7. 2007..We created web-based data entry forms for ICPs to modify and enter new infection control data. This paper describes our design and initial implementation of a working electronic regional infection control network...
- Use of a regional health information exchange to detect crossover of patients with MRSA between urban hospitalsAbel N Kho
Northwestern University, Division of General Internal Medicine, Affiliated Scientist, Regenstrief Institute, Inc, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 15:212-6. 2008..A significant portion of patients already known to be colonized or infected with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) may not be identified at admission by neighboring hospitals...
- An Evaluation of the NQF Quality Data Model for Representing Electronic Health Record Driven Phenotyping AlgorithmsWilliam K Thompson
Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
AMIA Annu Symp Proc 2012:911-20. 2012..However, we also found areas in which the QDM could be usefully extended, such as representing information extracted from clinical text, and the ability to handle algorithms that do not consist of Boolean combinations of criteria...
- The marginal value of pre-visit paper reminders when added to a multifaceted electronic health record based quality improvement systemDavid W Baker
Department of Medicine, Division of General Internal Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 18:805-11. 2011..This study examined whether providing pre-visit paper quality reminders could further improve performance, especially for physicians whose performance had not improved much during the first year...
- High density GWAS for LDL cholesterol in African Americans using electronic medical records reveals a strong protective variant in APOELaura J Rasmussen-Torvik
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Clin Transl Sci 5:394-9. 2012..Use of median LDL-C extracted from EMR after exclusions for medications and comorbidities increased the percentage of trait variance explained by genetic variation...
- Electronic medical records for genetic research: results of the eMERGE consortiumAbel N Kho
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Sci Transl Med 3:79re1. 2011..Efforts and incentives to increase the implementation of interoperable EMRs will markedly improve the availability of clinical data for genomics research...
- Identifying risk factors for healthcare-associated infections from electronic medical record home address dataJeffrey S Wilson
Department of Geography, Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Int J Health Geogr 9:47. 2010....
- Improving hypertension quality measurement using electronic health recordsStephen D Persell
Division of General Internal Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Med Care 47:388-94. 2009..Simple hypertension outcome measures may not indicate which patients receive poor care. This could be problematic as incentives increase...
- Health information technology's potential to improve care: what is the reality?Mark G Weiner
Office of Human Research, VA Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion, USA
Tex Med 102:37-44. 2006