Agnella D Izzo
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Laser stimulation of the auditory nerveAgnella D Izzo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, 2145 Sheridan Road, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
Lasers Surg Med 38:745-53. 2006..In contrast to electric stimulation, optical radiation can provide spatially selective neural stimulation without tissue contact...
- Spatial extent of cochlear infrared neural stimulation determined by tone-on-light maskingAgnella Izzo Matic
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Department of Otolaryngology, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
J Biomed Opt 16:118002. 2011..The results indicate that the spatial area of INS in the gerbil cochlea is similar to the cochlear area excited by a low level acoustic tone, showing promising results for future use of INS in implantable cochlear prostheses...
- Light-induced modulation of Porphyromonas gingivalis growthAgnella D Izzo
Biomedical Engineering Department, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
J Photochem Photobiol B 77:63-9. 2004..These results indicate that heat-induced killing of P. gingivalis could be the mechanism behind successful irradiation experiments with this bacterium...
- Optical parameter variability in laser nerve stimulation: a study of pulse duration, repetition rate, and wavelengthAgnella D Izzo
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:1108-14. 2007..The technology of optical stimulation could significantly improve cochlear implants, which are hampered by a lack of spatial selectivity...
- Laser stimulation of auditory neurons: effect of shorter pulse duration and penetration depthAgnella D Izzo
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Biophys J 94:3159-66. 2008..The implications of these data could direct further research and design of an optical cochlear implant...
- Selectivity of neural stimulation in the auditory system: a comparison of optic and electric stimuliAgnella D Izzo
Northwestern University, Biomedical Engineering, 2145 Sheridan Road, Tech E310, Evanston, Illinois 60208, USA
J Biomed Opt 12:021008. 2007..In the auditory system, optical stimulation of nerves could have a significant impact on the performance of cochlear implants, which can be limited by the electric current spread...
- Optical stimulation of auditory neurons: effects of acute and chronic deafeningClaus Peter Richter
Department of Otolaryngology, Northwestern University, 303 E Chicago Avenue, Searle 12 561, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hear Res 242:42-51. 2008..However, in chronically deaf animals optically evoked CAP thresholds were elevated. Changes correlated with the number of surviving spiral ganglion cells and the optical parameters that were used for stimulation...
- Optical stimulation of the facial nerve: a new monitoring technique?Ingo Ulrik Teudt
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3008, USA
Laryngoscope 117:1641-7. 2007..In contrast to electrical stimulation, pulsed infrared optical radiation can be used to safely and selectively stimulate neural tissue and might be valuable for screening...