C W Howden
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Vitamin B12 levels during prolonged treatment with proton pump inhibitorsC W Howden
Northwestern Center for Clinical Research, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Clin Gastroenterol 30:29-33. 2000..An appreciation of normal cobalamin metabolism and the pharmacological action of the PPIs adequately explain the mechanism for this reduction. PPIs do not promote the development of pernicious anemia...
- Use of proton-pump inhibitors in complicated ulcer disease and upper gastrointestinal tract bleedingC W Howden
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 56:S5-11. 1999..pylori-negative and H. pylori-positive peptic ulcers, as well as in upper gastrointestinal tract bleeding. Further study is needed regarding their role in preventing stress ulcers in critically ill patients...
- Management of heartburn in a large, randomized, community-based study: comparison of four therapeutic strategiesC W Howden
Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Am J Gastroenterol 96:1704-10. 2001..CONCLUSION: Proton pump inhibitor treatment provides more consistent heartburn relief than an H2-receptor antagonist, or "step-up" or "step-down" therapy...
- Clinical trial: efficacy and safety of dexlansoprazole MR 60 and 90 mg in healed erosive oesophagitis - maintenance of healing and symptom reliefC W Howden
Division of Gastroenterology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 30:895-907. 2009..Dexlansoprazole MR, a modified-release formulation of dexlansoprazole, an enantiomer of lansoprazole, effectively heals erosive oesophagitis...
- Current indications for acid suppressants in Helicobacter pylori -negative ulcer diseaseC W Howden
Northwestern University Medical School, Chicago, IL, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 15:401-12. 2001..The optimal duration of treatment is undefined but might be lifelong. There are no prospective studies of the efficacy of surgery or mucosal-protective agents in the treatment of H. pylori -negative ulcers...
- Programme of stepping down from twice daily proton pump inhibitor therapy for symptomatic gastro-oesophageal reflux disease associated with a formulary change at a VA medical centerG A Coté
Division of Gastroenterology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 25:709-14. 2007..In July 2001, our Veterans' Affairs hospital changed its formulary proton pump inhibitor (PPI) from lansoprazole to rabeprazole. All patients previously receiving lansoprazole 30 mg twice daily were switched to rabeprazole 20 mg once daily...
- Dose-response evaluation of the antisecretory effect of continuous infusion intravenous lansoprazole regimens over 48 hC W Howden
Division of Gastroenterology, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 23:975-84. 2006..Attainment of intragastric pH < 6.0 may require high-dose continuously infused proton pump therapy...