Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Dissociable effect of acute varenicline on tonic versus cue-provoked craving in non-treatment-motivated heavy smokersBrian Hitsman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 130:135-41. 2013..The effectiveness of varenicline for smoking cessation has been established, but little is known about the psychological processes that mediate this clinical outcome...
- Past major depression and smoking cessation outcome: a systematic review and meta-analysis updateBrian Hitsman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Addiction 108:294-306. 2013..To update our prior meta-analysis that showed past major depression (MD+) to be unrelated to smoking cessation outcome...
- Measuring smoking-related preoccupation and compulsive drive: evaluation of the obsessive compulsive smoking scaleBrian Hitsman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 680 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 211:377-87. 2010..Research on smokers is impeded, in part, by a lack of instruments that specifically measure compulsive smoking...
- Treatment of tobacco dependence in mental health and addictive disordersBrian Hitsman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Can J Psychiatry 54:368-78. 2009....
- Accuracy of a brief screening scale for lifetime major depression in cigarette smokersBrian Hitsman
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 680 North Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1400, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 25:559-64. 2011..Smoking cessation trials that do not require a history of depressed mood and/or anhedonia for two weeks or longer may overestimate rates of lifetime MDE and confound tests of the association between depression and treatment outcome...
- Elevated positive mood: a mixed blessing for abstinenceNeal Doran
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60607, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 20:36-43. 2006..Results indicate that lower pretreatment PM may inhibit long-term cessation. Smokers with lower baseline PM may benefit from treatment that increases PM...
- Influence of fluoxetine on positive and negative affect in a clinic-based smoking cessation trialJessica Werth Cook
Department of Psychology, 1007 West Harrison Avenue, Chicago, IL 60607 7137, USA
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 173:153-9. 2004..Fluoxetine improves affect in clinical syndromes such as depression and premenstrual dysphoric disorder. Little is known about fluoxetine's influence on mood changes after quitting smoking, which often resemble sub-clinical depression...
- Social support as a moderator of the relationship between recent history of depression and smoking cessation among lower-educated womenLindsey R Turner
Institute for Health Research and Policy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, IL 60608, USA
Nicotine Tob Res 10:201-12. 2008..The determinants of successful quitting among lower-educated women differ between those who seek assistance and those who do not...
- Genetic variability of smoking persistence in African AmericansAjna Hamidovic
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 4:729-34. 2011....
- Effect of tryptophan depletion on smokers and nonsmokers with and without history of major depressionBonnie Spring
Medical Research, Hines Hospital, Veteran Affairs Medical Center, Hines, Illinois, USA
Biol Psychiatry 61:70-7. 2007..We tested whether acute tryptophan depletion (ATD) triggers depressive symptoms in euthymic, unmedicated smokers and nonsmokers with and without history of major depressive disorder (MDD)...
- Behavioral intervention to promote smoking cessation and prevent weight gain: a systematic review and meta-analysisBonnie Spring
Department of PreventiveMedicine, Northwestern University, 680 N Lakeshore Drive, Suite 1220, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Addiction 104:1472-86. 2009..We reviewed evidence to determine whether behavioral weight control intervention compromises smoking cessation attempts, and if it offers an effective way to reduce post-cessation weight gain...
- A latent class analysis of cancer risk behaviors among U.S. college studentsJoseph Kang
Department of Preventive Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA Electronic address
Prev Med 64:121-5. 2014..The purpose of this study is to understand how cancer risk behaviors cluster in U.S. college students and vary by race and ethnicity...
- Neurobehavioral Regulation of Cigarette CravingsBrian Hitsman; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..