Matthew G Blum
Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Bronchoscopy simulator effectively prepares junior residents to competently perform basic clinical bronchoscopyMatthew G Blum
Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 78:287-91; discussion 287-91. 2004..Simulators can provide safe and inexpensive skills training. This randomized study was conducted to evaluate the effectiveness of a bronchoscopy simulator in teaching clinical bronchoscopy...
- Surgical considerations for the management and resection of esophageal gastrointestinal stromal tumorsMatthew G Blum
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 84:1717-23. 2007..Esophageal GISTs require special consideration regarding perioperative treatment, evaluation, and conduct of operation...
- Mucosal tube technique for creation of esophageal anastomosis after esophagectomyRobroy H MacIver
Department of Surgery, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1703-7. 2009..Morbidity and mortality are highly influenced by the success of the anastomosis created in the reconstruction of the resected esophagus. The results of an anastomotic technique that creates an esophageal mucosal tube are analyzed...
- Acute superior vena cava occlusion after stenting of tracheoesophageal fistulaMuneera R Kapadia
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Surgery, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Ann Thorac Surg 87:1260-2. 2009..Stenting of the superior vena cava rapidly alleviated the obstruction and resulted in resolution of symptoms...
- Zone I gunshot neck injury treated with common carotid and esophageal stent graftsManuel Garcia-Toca
Division of Vascular Surgery, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 676 North St Clair Street, Suite 650, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
J Vasc Interv Radiol 21:1448-51. 2010..This case report demonstrates effective stent grafting of an arterial and an esophageal zone I neck injury after a civilian gunshot...
- Adenocarcinoma of the gastroesophageal junction after bariatric surgeryLaleh G Melstrom
Department of Surgery and Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
Am J Surg 196:135-8. 2008..The development of upper gastrointestinal malignancies after bariatric surgery has not been well characterized. Our objective was to review the experience of patients with distal esophageal cancer that was diagnosed after bariatric surgery...
- Multifocal presentation of gangliocytic paraganglioma in the mediastinum and esophagusDavid M Weinrach
Department of Pathology, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Hum Pathol 35:1288-91. 2004..The finding of another GP occurring outside the periampullary region bolsters the argument for a stem cell origin of this unusual tumor...