Affiliation: Northwestern University
- Circadian topology of metabolismJoseph Bass
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, Illinois 60611, USA
Nature 491:348-56. 2012..Biological clocks capture the imagination because of their tie to geophysical time, and tools are now in hand to analyse their function in health and disease at the cellular and molecular level...
- Furin-mediated processing in the early secretory pathway: sequential cleavage and degradation of misfolded insulin receptorsJ Bass
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Chicago, IL 60637, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:11905-9. 2000..Together, these results suggest that processing and degradation occur sequentially for mutant proreceptors...
- Circadian integration of metabolism and energeticsJoseph Bass
Department of Medicine, Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Science 330:1349-54. 2010..Here, we review advances in understanding the interrelationship among circadian disruption, sleep deprivation, obesity, and diabetes and implications for rational therapeutics for these conditions...
- Folding of insulin receptor monomers is facilitated by the molecular chaperones calnexin and calreticulin and impaired by rapid dimerizationJ Bass
The Department of Medicine, The University of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
J Cell Biol 141:637-46. 1998..Together, these studies demonstrate a chaperone function for Cnx/Crt in HIR folding in vivo and also provide evidence that folding efficiency and homodimerization are counterbalanced...
- Sleep-wake regulation is altered in leptin-resistant (db/db) genetically obese and diabetic miceA D Laposky
Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Center for Sleep and Circadian Biology, Evanston, Illinois, USA
Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 295:R2059-66. 2008..In summary, leptin may represent an important molecular component in the integration of sleep, circadian rhythms, and energy metabolism...
- Furin mediates enhanced production of fibrillogenic ABri peptides in familial British dementiaS H Kim
Department of Neurobiology, Pharmacology and Physiology, The University of Chicago, Abbott 316, 947 East 58th Street, Chicago, Illinois 60637, USA
Nat Neurosci 2:984-8. 1999..Collectively, our results support the view that enhanced furin-mediated processing of mutant BRI generates fibrillogenic peptides that initiate the pathogenesis of FBD...
- Circadian clocks in fuel harvesting and energy homeostasisK M Ramsey
Division of Endocrinology, Metabolism and Molecular Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine and Department of Neurobiology and Physiology, Northwestern University, Chicago, Illinois 60611 3015, USA
Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 76:63-72. 2011..Experimental genetic studies have pointed toward extensive interplay between circadian and metabolic systems and offer a means to dissect the impact of local tissue molecular clocks on fuel utilization across the sleep-wake cycle...
- MOLECULAR COMPONENTS OF INSULIN RECEPTOR BIOGENESISJoseph Bass; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- MOLECULAR COMPONENENTS OF INSULIN RECEPTOR BIOGENESISJoseph Bass; Fiscal Year: 2003..Steiner, in addition to Drs. Graeme Bell, Susan Lindquist and other excellent scientists at the University of Chicago will promote his continued development as an independent researcher. ..
- Impact of Sleep on Feeding and the Metabolic SyndromeJoseph Bass; Fiscal Year: 2006..Insight gained from these studies will provide new strategies to prevent metabolic complications associated with sleep deprivation and uncover novel metabolic targets for treatment of obesity and its co-morbidities. ..
- Molecular Basis of Circadian Desynchrony in Cardiometabolic DiseaseShin Ichiro Imai; Fiscal Year: 2010..Specific Aim 3: To test the hypothesis that high-fat diet disrupts the novel circadian-metabolic feedback loop involving NAD+ biogenesis and the NAD+-dependent deacetylase SIRT1. (End of Abstract) ..