D M Stearns
Affiliation: Northern Arizona University
- Chromium(III) tris(picolinate) is mutagenic at the hypoxanthine (guanine) phosphoribosyltransferase locus in Chinese hamster ovary cellsDiane M Stearns
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, P O Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, USA
Mutat Res 513:135-42. 2002....
- Cell cycle activation in postmitotic neurons is essential for DNA repairElena I Schwartz
Department of Pathology and Oncology, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Cell Cycle 6:318-29. 2007..Our data suggest that G(1) cell cycle components are involved in DNA repair and survival of postmitotic neurons...
- Is chromium a trace essential metal?D M Stearns
Northern Arizona University, Department of Chemistry, Flagstaff 86011 5698, USA
Biofactors 11:149-62. 2000..Chromium3+ may act clinically by interfering with iron absorption, decreasing the high iron stores that are linked to diabetes and heart disease. If so, this would make chromium3+ a pharmacological agent, not an essential metal...
- Uranyl acetate induces hprt mutations and uranium-DNA adducts in Chinese hamster ovary EM9 cellsDiane M Stearns
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Arizona University, PO Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, USA
Mutagenesis 20:417-23. 2005..Data suggest that uranium could be chemically genotoxic and mutagenic through the formation of strand breaks and covalent U-DNA adducts. Thus the health risks for uranium exposure could go beyond those for radiation exposure...
- Characterization of nonmutagenic Cr(III)-DNA interactionsSean A Blankert
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, P O Box 5698, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011 5698, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 16:847-54. 2003..This study provides the first structural evidence for Cr(III)-DNA adducts. A molecular understanding of Cr(III)-DNA interactions will be necessary before we can determine their relevance in Cr(VI)-induced cancers...
- Molecular analysis of hprt mutations generated in Chinese hamster ovary EM9 cells by uranyl acetate, by hydrogen peroxide, and spontaneouslyVirginia H Coryell
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011 5698, USA
Mol Carcinog 45:60-72. 2006..The unique mutation spectrum elicited by exposure to UA suggests that UA generates mutations in ways that are different from spontaneous and free radical as well as radiological mechanisms...
- Molecular analysis of hprt mutations induced by chromium picolinate in CHO AA8 cellsVirginia H Coryell
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Northern Arizona University, PO Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, United States
Mutat Res 610:114-23. 2006..These data confirm previous studies showing that CrPic is mutagenic, and support the contention that further study is needed to verify the safety of CrPic for human consumption...
- Uranyl acetate causes DNA single strand breaks in vitro in the presence of ascorbate (vitamin C)Monica Yazzie
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, Flagstaff, Arizona, 86011, USA
Chem Res Toxicol 16:524-30. 2003..These data suggest that uranium may be directly genotoxic and may, like chromium, react with DNA by more than one pathway...
- Ultrastructural damage in chromium picolinate-treated cells: a TEM study. Transmission electron microscopyKevin R Manygoats
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, PO Box 5698, Flagstaff, AZ 86011 5698, USA
J Biol Inorg Chem 7:791-8. 2002..The coordination of Cr(III) by picolinate ligands may alter the cellular chemistry of Cr(III) to make chromium picolinate a toxic form of Cr(III)...
- Synthesis of peptide-oligonucleotide conjugates for chromium coordinationE R Civitello
Department of Chemistry, Northern Arizona University, P.O. Box 5698, Flagstaff, Arizona 86011-5698, USA
Bioconjug Chem 12:459-63. 2001....