ALISA K LINCOLN
Affiliation: Northeastern University
- Observing the work of an urban safety-net psychiatric emergency room: managing the unmanageableALISA K LINCOLN
Health Sciences and Sociology, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Sociol Health Illn 32:437-51. 2010..Our study demonstrates that staff of the PER face challenges on many levels as they struggle with the task of working with people presenting in psychiatric and social crisis...
- Coming in: an examination of people with co-occurring substance use and serious mental illness exiting chronic homelessnessALISA K LINCOLN
Health Sciences Department, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Am J Orthopsychiatry 79:236-43. 2009..All had a severe mental illness and were actively substance abusing. The importance of a model that respects personhood, a place that feels like home, and challenges faced by residents as they "come in" are emphasized...
- The BMC ACCESS project: the development of a medically enhanced safe haven shelterAlisa Lincoln
Department of Health Sciences and Sociology, Northeastern University, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Behav Health Serv Res 36:478-91. 2009..Lessons learned from creating the Safe Haven Shelter and the development and implementation of the consumer-informed evaluation are discussed as well as implications for future work with this population...
- Limited literacy and psychiatric disorders among users of an urban safety-net hospital's mental health outpatient clinicAlisa Lincoln
Department of Health Science, Northeastern University, 316 Robinson Hall, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:687-93. 2008..Increasing our understanding of the relationships between health literacy and psychiatric disorders will help inform the development of appropriate psychiatric care and better outcomes...
- Acute stress reaction and completed suicideJaimie L Gradus
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
Int J Epidemiol 39:1478-84. 2010..The current study examined this association in a population-based sample. In addition, we examined comorbid psychiatric diagnoses as modifiers of this association...
- Sexual victimization and completed suicide among Danish female adultsJaimie L Gradus
VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Violence Against Women 18:552-61. 2012..4, 59]). Completed suicide is an important potential outcome of sexual victimization, warranting further examination...
- Inflammatory bowel disease and completed suicide in Danish adultsJaimie L Gradus
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, Massachusetts 02130, USA
Inflamm Bowel Dis 16:2158-61. 2010..The current study examined the association between the two forms of IBD: Crohn's disease (CD) and ulcerative colitis (UC), and completed suicide in a population-based sample...
- Mental health service utilization of Somali adolescents: religion, community, and school as gateways to healingB Heidi Ellis
Department of Psychiatry, Children s Hospital Boston, 21 Autumn Street, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Transcult Psychiatry 47:789-811. 2010..The GPM provides a helpful model for understanding refugee youth access to services, and an elaborated model is presented showing how existing pathways to help could be built upon to improve refugee youth access to services...
- Increased prevalence of behavioral risks among adolescent and young adult women with psychological distress in the emergency departmentDavid H Dorfman
Department of Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Pediatr Emerg Care 26:93-8. 2010..Mental health problems in adolescents have been recognized as a significant medical concern. They have been associated with risk-taking behaviors during adolescence...
- The association between adjustment disorder diagnosed at psychiatric treatment facilities and completed suicideJaimie L Gradus
National Center for PTSD VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA, USA
Clin Epidemiol 2:23-8. 2010....
- Brief screening for co-occurring disorders among women entering substance abuse treatmentALISA K LINCOLN
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Boston University School of Public Health, Department of Psychiatry, Boston UniversitySchool of Medicine, 715 Albany Street, T246W, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 1:26. 2006..All women entering treatment (methadone, residential and out-patient) at five treatment sites were screened at intake (N = 374)...
- Perceived discrimination, psychological distress and healthIrina L G Todorova
Center for Population Health and Health Disparities, Northeastern University, Boston, USA
Sociol Health Illn 32:843-61. 2010..Increased depressive symptoms might be the main pathway through which perceived discrimination is associated with a greater number of medical diagnoses...
- The impact of resistance exercise training on the mental health of older Puerto Rican adults with type 2 diabetesALISA K LINCOLN
Health Sciences Department, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 66:567-70. 2011..To determine the impact of a 16 week high-intensity progressive resistance exercise training (PRT) program on the mental health of older Puerto Rican adults with type 2 diabetes...
- Mental health of Somali adolescent refugees: the role of trauma, stress, and perceived discriminationB Heidi Ellis
Department of Psychiatry, Children s Hospital Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:184-93. 2008..Further research elucidating the relations between post-resettlement stressors, discrimination, and mental health of refugee adolescents may inform intervention development...
- Posttraumatic stress disorder and completed suicideJaimie L Gradus
National Center for PTSD, VA Boston Healthcare System, Boston, MA 02130, USA
Am J Epidemiol 171:721-7. 2010..In conclusion, a registry-based diagnosis of PTSD based on International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, is a risk factor for completed suicide...
- Ethical research in refugee communities and the use of community participatory methodsB Heidi Ellis
Children s Hospital Boston and Harvard Medical School, Department of Psychiatry, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Transcult Psychiatry 44:459-81. 2007..Community participatory methods were adopted to uphold both ethical and methodological rigor in the research. A participatory approach for developing ethical protocols within different refugee communities is recommended...
- Impact of health literacy on depressive symptoms and mental health-related: quality of life among adults with addictionAlisa Lincoln
Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:818-22. 2006..Health literacy has been linked to health status in a variety of chronic diseases. However, evidence for a relationship between health literacy and mental health outcomes is sparse...
- Relationship of depressive symptoms and mental health functioning to repeat detoxificationChristopher W Shanahan
Clinical Addiction Research and Education CARE Unit, Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 29:117-23. 2005..These data suggest that identifying individuals with DS or worse MHF after detoxification may provide opportunities for clinical intervention to reduce recurrent residential detoxification...
- Psychiatric Emergency Room Care: Staff PerspectivesAlisa Lincoln; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..