Mary Ann Lila
Affiliation: North Carolina State University
- Grace M, Esposito D, Timmers M, Xiong J, Yousef G, Komarnytsky S, et al. Chemical composition, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties of pistachio hull extracts. Food Chem. 2016;210:85-95 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the P extract significantly decreased the non-mitochondrial oxidative burst associated with inflammatory response in macrophages. ..
- Xiong J, Grace M, Esposito D, Komarnytsky S, Wang F, Lila M. Polyphenols isolated from Acacia mearnsii bark with anti-inflammatory and carbolytic enzyme inhibitory activities. Chin J Nat Med. 2017;15:816-824 pubmed publisher..4 ?g·mL-1). Moreover, B extract, at 25 µg·mL-1, significantly decreased the non-mitochondrial oxidative burst that is often associated with inflammatory response in human monocytic macrophages. ..
- OVERALL J, Bonney S, Wilson M, Beermann A, Grace M, Esposito D, et al. Metabolic Effects of Berries with Structurally Diverse Anthocyanins. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to understand mechanisms that lead to nearly anoxic conditions in the gut lumens, including the relative contributions of host, diet and/or microbial oxidative activity, and their implication to human health. ..
- Plundrich N, Bansode R, Foegeding E, Williams L, Lila M. Protein-bound Vaccinium fruit polyphenols decrease IgE binding to peanut allergens and RBL-2H3 mast cell degranulation in vitro. Food Funct. 2017;8:1611-1621 pubmed publisher..Future trials are warranted to investigate the immunomodulatory mechanisms of these protein-polyphenol complexes and the role of quercetin in their hypoallergenic potential. ..
- Correia R, Grace M, Esposito D, Lila M. Wild blueberry polyphenol-protein food ingredients produced by three drying methods: Comparative physico-chemical properties, phytochemical content, and stability during storage. Food Chem. 2017;235:76-85 pubmed publisher..Overall, spray drying the blueberry extracts complexed with protein proved to be an environment-friendly strategy to produce stable functional ingredients with multiple applications for the food industry. ..