Affiliation: New Jersey
- Childhood victimization and illicit drug use in middle adulthoodCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA
Psychol Addict Behav 20:394-403. 2006..These new results reinforce the need for targeted interventions with abused and neglected children, adolescents, and adults, and particularly for women...
- A prospective investigation of major depressive disorder and comorbidity in abused and neglected children grown upCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, 183 S Orange Avenue, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 64:49-56. 2007..Few prospective longitudinal studies have examined the relationship between abuse or neglect in childhood and depression in adulthood...
- Long-term effects of child abuse and neglect on alcohol use and excessive drinking in middle adulthoodCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 68:317-26. 2007..The purpose of this study was to determine the long-term effects of child abuse and neglect on alcohol use in middle adulthood...
- MAOA and the "cycle of violence:" childhood abuse and neglect, MAOA genotype, and risk for violent and antisocial behaviorCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Newark, 07103, USA
Biol Psychiatry 60:684-9. 2006....
- Reactions to research participation in vulnerable subgroupsCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, 183 South Orange Avenue, BHSB F1406, Newark, NJ 07103, USA
Account Res 12:115-38. 2005..These results suggest that researchers and institutional review boards should not be deterred from conducting research on sensitive topics with potentially vulnerable populations...
- Development and validation of a new instrument to assess lifetime trauma and victimization historyCathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07107, USA
J Trauma Stress 18:519-31. 2005..The LTVH demonstrates good predictive, criterion-related, and convergent validity and a high level of agreement between earlier and current reports of certain types of traumas...
- Age of onset of child maltreatment predicts long-term mental health outcomesJulie B Kaplow
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, NJ, USA
J Abnorm Psychol 116:176-87. 2007..Implications for the assessment of maltreated children, the prevention of adult psychopathology, and the classification of age of maltreatment onset are discussed...
- The case for prospective longitudinal studies in child maltreatment research: commentary on Dube, Williamson, Thompson, Felitti, and Anda (2004)Cathy Spatz Widom
Department of Psychiatry, New Jersey Medical School, 183 South Orange Avenue, BHSB F1406, Newark, NJ 07107, USA
Child Abuse Negl 28:715-22. 2004
- Does childhood victimization increase the risk of early death? A 25-year prospective studyHelene Raskin White
Center for Alcohol Studies, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ, USA
Child Abuse Negl 27:841-53. 2003..Abuse and neglect have been shown to influence the mental and physical health of children; however, few studies have examined whether childhood victimization leads to an increased risk of early death...
- An examination of risky sexual behavior and HIV in victims of child abuse and neglect: a 30-year follow-upHelen W Wilson
Department of Psychology, John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York, New York, NY 10019, USA
Health Psychol 27:149-58. 2008..This article examined links between childhood maltreatment and risky sexual behavior (early sexual contact, promiscuity, prostitution) and HIV in adulthood...
- Predictors of resilience in abused and neglected children grown-up: the role of individual and neighborhood characteristicsKimberly A DuMont
Bureau of Evaluation and Research, New York State Office of Children and Family Services, Rensselaer, NY, USA
Child Abuse Negl 31:255-74. 2007....
- Congruence between adolescents' self-reports and their adult retrospective reports regarding parental discipline practices during their adolescenceHelene Raskin White
Rutgers Center of Alcohol Studies, Piscataway, NJ 08854 8001, USA
Psychol Rep 101:1079-94. 2007..Research is needed to identify how best to obtain accurate histories of childhood maltreatment...
- An examination of pathways from childhood victimization to violence: the role of early aggression and problematic alcohol useCathy Spatz Widom
John Jay College of Criminal Justice, Psychology Department, City University of New York, NY 10019, USA
Violence Vict 21:675-90. 2006..Interventions for victims of childhood maltreatment need to recognize the role of early aggressive behavior and alcohol problems as risk factors for subsequent violence...
- Three potential mediators of the effects of child abuse and neglect on adulthood substance use among womenHelene Raskin White
Center of Alcohol Studies, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, 607 Allison Road, Piscataway, New Jersey 08854 8001, USA
J Stud Alcohol Drugs 69:337-47. 2008..This study examined mechanisms that might account for the association between early childhood abuse and neglect, and substance use and related problems in adulthood for women...
- Understanding the role of neighborhood context in the long-term criminal consequences of child maltreatmentAmie M Schuck
Department of Criminal Justice, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60607, USA
Am J Community Psychol 36:207-22. 2005..These results suggest that studying the interaction between family functioning and neighborhood conditions provides a more comprehensive understanding of offending than does studying each factor separately...
- Childhood abuse and neglect and adult intimate relationships: a prospective studyRebecca A Colman
The Research Foundation, The University at Albany, Albany, NY, USA
Child Abuse Negl 28:1133-51. 2004....
- Childhood victimization and alcohol symptoms in women: an examination of protective factorsAmie M Schuck
Department of Criminology, University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida, USA
J Stud Alcohol 64:247-56. 2003..This study examined whether academic and intellectual functioning, high self-efficacy and social support protect women who were abused and neglected in childhood from developing alcohol problems in later life...
- CHILDHOOD VICTIMIZATION AND LIFETIME REVICTIMIZATIONCathy Spatz Widom; Fiscal Year: 2003..Assessing lifetime and current rates provides two different perspectives on revictimization probabilities and, together, provides a comprehensive picture of one important consequence of childhood victimization. ..
- Intergenerational Transmission of Neglect and AbuseCATHY WIDOM; Fiscal Year: 2009..Given the increasing interest in understanding the "mind-body" connection, this assessment of biomeasures in the G3 offspring may provide further insight into the impact of these childhood experiences. ..
- Child Abuse and Neglect, Chronic Stress, and Drug AbuseCathy Spatz Widom; Fiscal Year: 2005....