Affiliation: New York University School of Medicine
- Treatment of liver metastases in patients with neuroendocrine tumors of gastroesophageal and pancreatic originPing Gu
Department of Hematology and Medical Oncology, NYU Cancer Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Int J Hepatol 2012:131659. 2012..Future studies will likely further define the role of these agents in patients with carcinoid liver metastasis and pancreatic NET liver metastasis...
- Paraneoplastic hypercalcemia in clear cell ovarian adenocarcinomaS Lewin
Department of Pediatrics, New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Ecancermedicalscience 6:271. 2012..This finding at presentation (possibly aggravated by oral calcium intake) led to discovery of a clear cell carcinoma of the ovary. The implications and pathophysiology of this association are reviewed...
- Endocrine-responsive breast cancer: a 28-year OdysseyA West
NYU School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Ecancermedicalscience 5:237. 2011..In addition to the chronicity of disease, this history illustrates the expanding range of treatments available for endocrine-responsive breast cancer commensurate to our greater understanding of tumor biology...
- 'BRCAness' and its implications for platinum action in gynecologic cancerFranco Muggia
NYU Cancer Institute, New York University Langone Medical Center, 550 First Avenue, New, NY 10016, U S A
Anticancer Res 34:551-6. 2014..The Cancer Genome Atlas analyses delineate the complexity of genomic alterations in ovarian cancer and other malignancies of Mullerian epithelial origin promising further refinements of the 'BRCAness' concept. ..
- Nucleoside and nucleobase analogs in cancer treatment: not only sapacitabine, but also gemcitabineFranco Muggia
NYU Langone Medical Center, NY, USA
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 21:403-8. 2012..Gemcitabine's action on signaling also provides a rational concept for combination with signal transduction pathways...
- XIII International Charles Heidelberger Symposium and 50 Years of Fluoropyrimidines in Cancer Therapy Held on september 6 to 8, 2007 at New York University Cancer Institute, Smilow Conference CenterFranco M Muggia
New York University Cancer Institute, NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 8:992-9. 2009This conference opened with Franco Muggia, host and principal organizer, thanking Joseph Landolph, co-Chair of the International Scientific Organizing Committee and its members (Franco Muggia, co-Chair, Max Costa, Steven Burakoff, Howard ..
- Conclusions: fruits of the convergence of laboratory, clinic and publicF Muggia
New York University Cancer Institute, New York 10016, USA
Ann Oncol 22:i67-8. 2011..It also reveals how the convergence of the laboratory, the clinic and the public across two continents is able to ignite discovery and its applications...
- BRCA genes: lessons learned from experimental and clinical cancerF Muggia
New York University Cancer Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Ann Oncol 22:i7-10. 2011..In addition to these models, the pathogenesis of high-grade serous disease derived from risk-reducing surgeries in mutation carriers has pointed to a role of mutations in p53 commonly encountered in tubal intraepithelial carcinomas...
- Platinum compounds 30 years after the introduction of cisplatin: implications for the treatment of ovarian cancerFranco Muggia
Division of Medical Oncology, NYU Langone Cancer Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 112:275-81. 2009..The status of DNA repair pathways may become relevant to response to platinums and to the treatment of ovarian cancer in general: repair inhibitors are under testing alone or in combination with cytotoxic drugs for cancer...
- Postoperative intraperitoneal 5-fluoro-2'-deoxyuridine added to chemoradiation in patients curatively resected (R0) for locally advanced gastric and gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinomaDeirdre J Cohen
Division of Medical Oncology, New York University Cancer Center, NYU Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 19:478-85. 2012..However, locoregional recurrences remain high. Accordingly, we instituted this pilot/feasibility study, including intraperitoneal 5-fluoro-2'-deoxyuridine (IP FUDR) as part of the treatment...
- Phase 1/pharmacology study of intraperitoneal topotecan alone and with cisplatin: potential for consolidation in ovarian cancerEleni Andreopoulou
Department of Medical Oncology, Albert Einstein Cancer Center, Bronx, NY, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 68:457-63. 2011..Most ovarian cancers recur after first-line treatment. We studied the pharmacology, tolerability, and therapeutic potential of intraperitoneal (IP) topotecan, alone and with IP cisplatin...
- A phase 2 study of oxaliplatin combined with continuous infusion topotecan for patients with previously treated ovarian cancerStacey M Stein
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, New Haven, CT Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, and Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY Beth Israel Cancer Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, NY New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, Division of Biostatistics, Department of Population Health, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY Cancer Therapy Evaluation Program, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD and Department of Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
Int J Gynecol Cancer 23:1577-82. 2013..We sought to determine the efficacy and safety of oxaliplatin plus infusion topotecan in recurrent platinum-pretreated ovarian cancer...
- Tolerance and activity of oxaliplatin with protracted topotecan infusion in patients with previously treated ovarian cancer. A phase I studyHoward Hochster
Division of Medical Oncology, New York University School of Medicine, NYU Cancer Institute, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 108:500-4. 2008..Topotecan 14-day infusion combined with cisplatin was highly active in ovarian cancer, but too myelosuppressive. We therefore sought to evaluate the feasibility of substituting oxaliplatin for cisplatin to improve safety...
- Weekly paclitaxel with intermittent imatinib mesylate (Gleevec): tolerance and activity in recurrent epithelial ovarian cancerTamar Safra
New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Anticancer Res 30:3243-7. 2010..Imatinib mesylate (IM, Gleevec), a potent PDGF/PDGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, affects stroma and vascular endothelial cells. Our study sought to determine the safety and activity of paclitaxel with an intermittent schedule of IM...
- Cisplatin with capecitabine: tolerance and activity in a phase I/II study preferentially enrolling patients with gastric cancerJennifer Wu
Divisions of Hematology and Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, NYU Cancer Institute, NYU School of Medicine, 550 First Ave, BCD 556, New York, NY 1006, USA
Anticancer Res 32:939-45. 2012..We explored its tolerance and preliminary efficacy when given together with cisplatin in a phase I/II study preferentially enrolling gastric cancer patients...
- Prolonged topotecan infusion with cisplatin in the first-line treatment of ovarian cancer: an NYGOG and ECOG studyHoward S Hochster
NYU School of Medicine and Cancer Institute, 160 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 100:324-9. 2006..To determine the toxicity and efficacy of combined therapy with cisplatin and prolonged infusion topotecan as front line therapy in women with epithelial ovarian cancer...
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity in nonsmoking women: a new and unusual complication of chemotherapy for recurrent ovarian cancer?Timothy L Cannon
NYU Cancer Institute, Division of Hematology Medical Oncology, 462 First Avenue, Building C D, New York, New York 10022, USA
Oncologist 17:1541-6. 2012..To describe occurrences of oral squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) in patients who had received long-term pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) for ovarian cancer...
- Phase I study of bryostatin 1, a protein kinase C modulator, preceding cisplatin in patients with refractory non-hematologic tumorsAnna C Pavlick
New York University School of Medicine, New York University Cancer Institute, New York, NY, USA
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 64:803-10. 2009..We designed a phase I study to achieve tolerable doses and schedules of bryo and cisplatin in combination and in this sequence...
- A phase I trial of dose-dense (biweekly) carboplatin combined with paclitaxel and pegfilgrastim: a feasibility study in patients with untreated Stage III and IV ovarian, tubal or primary peritoneal cancer: a Gynecologic Oncology Group studyAmy D Tiersten
New York University Cancer Institute, New York, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 118:303-7. 2010..We also investigated the toxicities including the percentage of patients with grade 2 or greater peripheral neurotoxicity and the clinical response of this regimen...
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy, surgery, and adjuvant intraperitoneal chemotherapy in patients with locally advanced gastric or gastroesophageal junction carcinoma: a phase II studyElliot Newman
Department of Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, and the NYU Cancer Institute, New York, NY, USA
Semin Oncol 32:S97-100. 2005..The data suggest that an approach consisting of systemic induction therapy, curative surgery with high R0 resection rates, and IP adjuvant therapy has acceptable toxicity and encouraging survival outcomes...
- BRCA mutation status and determinant of outcome in women with recurrent epithelial ovarian cancer treated with pegylated liposomal doxorubicinTamar Safra
NYU Cancer Institute, 160 34th St, New York, NY 10016, USA
Mol Cancer Ther 10:2000-7. 2011..Tumors arising in a background of defective BRCA function are more sensitive than other EOCs to DNA-damaging agents such as PLD, even after acquiring platinum resistance...
- Preoperative concurrent paclitaxel-radiation in locally advanced breast cancer: pathologic response correlates with five-year overall survivalSylvia Adams
Department of Radiation Oncology, New York University School of Medicine, 160 E 34th Street, New York, NY, 10016, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 124:723-32. 2010..In conclusion, pathologic response to concurrent paclitaxel-radiation translated into superior DFS and OS. Half of the patients with HR negative tumors achieved a pathologic response...
- Is renal thrombotic angiopathy an emerging problem in the treatment of ovarian cancer recurrences?Maryann Kwa
NYU Clinical Cancer Center, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Oncologist 17:1534-40. 2012..To document the frequency and contributing factors to the emergence of CKD, we initiated a retrospective review at two institutions...
- Feasibility and cardiac safety of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin plus trastuzumab in heavily pretreated patients with recurrent HER2-overexpressing metastatic breast cancerEleni Andreopoulou
Department of Medical Oncology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Clin Breast Cancer 7:690-6. 2007..This open-label, prospective, phase II trial assessed the safety and efficacy of this regimen, with cardiac tolerance as the principal focus...
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of docetaxel combined with Doxil (pegylated liposomal doxorubicin) without and with granulocyte colony stimulating factorAnna C Pavlick
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Medicine, Kaplan Cancer Center, NYU Cancer Institute, New York University Medical Center, 462 First Avenue, BCD Room 556, New York, NY 10016, USA
Anticancer Drugs 15:119-25. 2004..Our observations should provide evidence for phase II studies of this combination in patients with breast cancer and other anthracycline/taxane-sensitive cancers...
- Fatal hepatitis B reactivation due to everolimus in metastatic breast cancer: case report and review of literatureEleonora Teplinsky
New York University Cancer Institute, New York, NY, 10016, USA
Breast Cancer Res Treat 141:167-72. 2013..Clinicians and patients should be aware of this rare but fatal complication prior to everolimus use, and a detailed history, screening for hepatitis B and prophylactic antiviral treatment should be considered. ..
- Loss of p27KIP1 expression in fully-staged node-negative breast cancer: association with lack of hormone receptors in T1a/b, but not T1c infiltrative ductal carcinomaDeepu Mirchandani
New York University School of Medicine and NYU Cancer Institute, New York, NY, USA
Anticancer Res 31:4401-5. 2011..We examined by IHC the association between nuclear p27(KIP1) expression and hormone receptor status in T1N0M0 breast cancer...
- Defining risks of taxane neuropathy: insights from randomized clinical trialsDavid Kudlowitz
New York University School of Medicine and Cancer Institute, New York, New York 10016, USA
Clin Cancer Res 19:4570-7. 2013..In addition, the differences highlighted may lead to greater insight into drug and basic host factors (such as age, sex, and ethnicity) contributing to axonal injury from taxanes...
- Ovarian cancer in BRCA mutation carriers: improved outcome after intraperitoneal (IP) cisplatinMaryann Kwa
New York University Medical Center, NYU Cancer Institute, New York, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 21:1468-73. 2014..We analyze our previously published intraperitoneal (IP) studies in relation to BRCA mutation status and update their outcomes...
- Continuous-infusion topotecan and erlotinib: a study in topotecan-pretreated ovarian cancer assessing shed collagen epitopes as a marker of invasivenessEiran Warner
Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, New York, USA
Oncologist 19:250. 2014..We assessed the activity of such a regimen in ovarian cancer patients previously failing bolus topotecan. Assay for shed collagen epitopes recognized by antibody HU177 during treatment explored its ability to reflect tumor invasion...
- Concurrent radiotherapy, paclitaxel and dose escalating carboplatin in the treatment of cervical cancer--a phase I studyDaniela Addeo
New York University, Department of Radiation Oncology, New York, NY 10016, USA
Anticancer Res 28:3143-6. 2008..This study was designed to determine the feasibility and toxicity of concomitant administration of RT with twice per week paclitaxel and carboplatin...
- A pilot study of letrozole for one year in women at enhanced risk of developing breast cancer: effects on mammographic densityJulia Smith
Department of Medicine Oncology and NYU Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Anticancer Res 32:1327-31. 2012..To address safety concerns and seek enhanced efficacy, studies of new chemopreventive agents using mammographic density as a surrogate end point are attractive...
- Phase II trial of dacarbazine and thalidomide for the treatment of metastatic melanomaPatrick A Ott
Division of Medical Oncology, New York University Cancer Institute, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Chemotherapy 55:221-7. 2009..This phase II study evaluated the efficacy and tolerability of dacarbazine in combination with thalidomide in metastatic melanoma patients...
- Phase II study of darinaparsin in patients with advanced hepatocellular carcinomaJennifer Wu
Department of Medical Oncology, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Invest New Drugs 28:670-6. 2010..Darinaparsin is a novel organic arsenic that reaches higher intracellular concentration with decreased toxicity compared to inorganic arsenic. We conducted a multi-center phase II study with darinaparsin in patients with advanced HCC...
- A phase II study of liposomal lurtotecan (OSI-211) in patients with topotecan resistant ovarian cancerMichael V Seiden
The Division of Medical Oncology, New York University, New York, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:229-32. 2004..To determine the safety and efficacy of a novel topoisomerase I inhibitor, liposomal lurtotecan, in patients with topotecan resistant ovarian cancer...
- Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with CPT-11 and cisplatin downstages locally advanced gastric cancerElliot Newman
Department of Surgery, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Gastrointest Surg 6:212-23; discussion 223. 2002..We conclude that CPT-11-based neoadjuvant therapy downstages locally advanced gastric cancer. Further follow-up is necessary to determine the ultimate impact of this combination therapy on recurrence and survival...
- A pharmacokinetic evaluation of topotecan as a cervical cancer therapyFernanda Musa
NYU Langone Medical Center, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, NY, USA
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol 9:215-24. 2013..As a topoisomerase I (topo I) inhibitor, its activity is predicted to be schedule-dependent and potentiated in a schedule-dependent manner by its interaction with DNA damaging agents...
- Oxaliplatin with weekly bolus fluorouracil and low-dose leucovorin as first-line therapy for patients with colorectal cancerHoward Hochster
NYU School of Medicine, 160 East 32nd St, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:2703-7. 2003..To determine the activity of biweekly oxaliplatin, combined with weekly bolus fluorouracil (FU) and low-dose leucovorin (LV) chemotherapy (bFOL), as first-line therapy for patients with metastatic colorectal cancer...
- Emerging treatments for ovarian cancerFranco Muggia
Division of Medical Oncology, New York University School of Medicine, 550 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 8:203-16. 2003..Targeted' drug trials, in contrast to trials studying cytotoxic drug analogues, currently represent only a minor portion of clinical trials in ovarian cancer...
- Epidermal growth factor receptor inhibitors for the treatment of epithelial ovarian cancerStephanie V Blank
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology NYU School of Medicine, NY 10016, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 19:553-9; discussion 560-2, 567. 2005..It is hoped that data from these and other studies will help investigators to understand more clearly the biology of ovarian cancer and to delineate the role of EGFR inhibitors in the management of ovarian cancer...
- Targeting HER2 in ovarian and uterine cancers: challenges and future directionsEleonora Teplinsky
New York University Cancer Institute, 160 East 34th Street, New York, NY 10016, USA
Gynecol Oncol 135:364-70. 2014..In this review, we highlight the existing data of targeting HER2 in ovarian and uterine carcinomas, many dating back more than a decade, and discuss future directions in pursuing HER2 as a potential target in these diseases. ..
- Clinical features of taxane neuropathyDavid Kudlowitz
aDepartment of Medicine, NYU Langone Medical Center bDepartment of Oncology, NYU Clinical Cancer Institute, New York, New York, USA
Anticancer Drugs 25:495-501. 2014..In addition, case vignettes illustrate the range of clinical manifestations of this toxicity during taxane administration...
- Novel taxanesFranco Muggia
NYU Cancer Institute, New York, New York, USA
Anticancer Drugs 25:593-8. 2014..Through this mechanism, novel formulations increase cytotoxicity, improve specificity, and create possibilities for drug enhancement. ..
- Ovarian cancer: a brief historical overview of intraperitoneal trialsMaryann Kwa
NYU Cancer Institute, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 21:1429-34. 2014..In this article, we highlight the key trials and recent directions in IP therapy of ovarian cancer and briefly discuss another approach to the delivery of IP chemotherapy, known as hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy. ..
- Preoperative twice-weekly paclitaxel with concurrent radiation therapy followed by surgery and postoperative doxorubicin-based chemotherapy in locally advanced breast cancer: a phase I/II trialSilvia C Formenti
Kaplan Comprehensive Cancer Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Clin Oncol 21:864-70. 2003..We investigated the safety and efficacy of primary twice-weekly paclitaxel and concurrent radiation (RT) before modified radical mastectomy followed by adjuvant doxorubicin-based chemotherapy...
- Phase II trial of the combination of bryostatin-1 and cisplatin in advanced or recurrent carcinoma of the cervix: a New York Gynecologic Oncology Group studyFarr Nezhat
Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Gynecol Oncol 93:144-8. 2004..The current study was conducted to evaluate this therapeutic approach in patients with recurrent or advanced-stage cervical carcinoma...