Affiliation: New York University
- Significance of childhood conduct problems to later development of conduct disorder among children with ADHD: a prospective follow-up studySalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, NYU School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 32:565-73. 2004..However, low levels of CD-type problems are not innocuous, because they predict later CD among children with ADHD without comorbid CD...
- Persistence of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder into adulthood: what have we learned from the prospective follow-up studies?Salvatore Mannuzza
NYU Child Study Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Atten Disord 7:93-100. 2003..This article reviews factors that may account for disparate rates found in adult follow-ups, and recommends optimal methodologies for prospective studies of children with ADHD in particular and childhood mental disorders in general...
- Age of methylphenidate treatment initiation in children with ADHD and later substance abuse: prospective follow-up into adulthoodSalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, New York University Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, New York 10016, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:604-9. 2008..The purpose of this study was to examine whether age at initiation of stimulant treatment in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is related to the subsequent development of substance use disorders...
- Anxiety sensitivity among children of parents with anxiety disorders: a controlled high-risk studySalvatore Mannuzza
NYU Child Study Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
J Anxiety Disord 16:135-48. 2002..We conclude that parental anxiety or mood disorder does not predispose offspring to high anxiety sensitivity...
- Accuracy of adult recall of childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorderSalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
Am J Psychiatry 159:1882-8. 2002..This study examined accuracy of adult recall of childhood ADHD...
- Lifetime criminality among boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: a prospective follow-up study into adulthood using official arrest recordsSalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Psychiatry Res 160:237-46. 2008....
- Does major depressive disorder in parents predict specific fears and phobias in offspring?Matthew G Biel
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, NYU Child Study Center, NYU School of Medicine, New York University, New York, USA
Depress Anxiety 25:379-82. 2008..Elevated rates of specific fears in offspring of parents with MDD+anxiety disorder may be a function of more severe parental psychopathology, increased genetic loading, or unmeasured environmental influences...
- Alcohol use disorders in relatives of patients with panic disorderRenee D Goodwin
Anxiety Genetics Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
Compr Psychiatry 47:88-90. 2006..The aim of this study was to use data from a family study of anxiety disorders to examine the familial association between alcohol use disorders and panic disorder (PD), controlling for alcohol use disorders in the proband...
- Does stimulant treatment place children at risk for adult substance abuse? A controlled, prospective follow-up studySalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol 13:273-82. 2003..Findings from this randomized trial contradict the notion that stimulant treatment in childhood leads to substance use or abuse in later life. The sensitization hypothesis is not supported...
- Impact of the impairment criterion in the diagnosis of adult ADHD: 33-year follow-up study of boys with ADHDSalvatore Mannuzza
New York University Child Study Center, 215 Lexington Avenue, Floor 13, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Atten Disord 15:122-9. 2011..To investigate the relationship between ADHD symptoms and impairment among adults diagnosed as having ADHD in childhood (ages 6-12)...
- Obesity in men with childhood ADHD: a 33-year controlled, prospective, follow-up studySamuele Cortese
Phyllis Green and Randolph Cowen Institute for Pediatric Neuroscience, Child Study Center of the NYU Langone Medical Center, New York, NY, USA
Pediatrics 131:e1731-8. 2013..We predicted higher BMI and obesity rates in: (1) men with, versus men without, childhood ADHD; (2) men with persistent, versus men with remitted, ADHD; and (3) men with persistent or remitted ADHD versus those without childhood ADHD...
- Clinical features of four DSM-IV-specific phobia subtypesJoshua D Lipsitz
Department of Psychiatry, New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University, 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 69, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:471-8. 2002..Implications for the usefulness of current subtype categories are discussed...
- Brain gray matter deficits at 33-year follow-up in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder established in childhoodErika Proal
Phyllis Green and Randolph Cowen Institute for Pediatric Neuroscience, Child Study Center, New York University Langone School of Medicine, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 68:1122-34. 2011..We present, to our knowledge, the first prospective study combining cortical thickness and voxel-based morphometry in adults diagnosed as having ADHD in childhood...
- Young adult outcome of children with "situational" hyperactivity: a prospective, controlled follow-up studySalvatore Mannuzza
NYU School of Medicine, NYU Child Study Center, New York, New York 10016, USA
J Abnorm Child Psychol 30:191-8. 2002..These findings stress the validity of teacher reports in the diagnosis of ADHD...
- A direct interview family study of obsessive-compulsive disorder. II. Contribution of proband informant informationJoshua D Lipsitz
Anxiety Family Genetics Unit, New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, USA
Psychol Med 35:1623-31. 2005..Overall findings of our first direct interview family study of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) indicated that OCD is familial. In this replication study, we carefully examined the role of informant data in ascertaining OCD in relatives...
- Does childhood attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder predict risk-taking and medical illnesses in adulthood?Maria A Ramos Olazagasti
New York University Medical Center, New York, NY 10016, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 52:153-162.e4. 2013..We report causes of death...
- Face-memory and emotion: associations with major depression in children and adolescentsDaniel S Pine
Section on Development and Affective Neuroscience, Mood and Anxiety Disorders Program, National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program, Bethesda, Maryland, USA
J Child Psychol Psychiatry 45:1199-208. 2004..The study also examines the relationship between parental MDD and memory performance in offspring...
- Response to 5% carbon dioxide in children and adolescents: relationship to panic disorder in parents and anxiety disorders in subjectsDaniel S Pine
Section on Development and Affective Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program, Bethesda, MD 20817, USA
Arch Gen Psychiatry 62:73-80. 2005..Exaggerated responses to CO(2) inhalation have been reported in adults with PD and their unaffected adult relatives, as well as in clinic-referred children with anxiety disorders...
- Memory deficits in children with and at risk for anxiety disordersRoma A Vasa
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland 21211, USA
Depress Anxiety 24:85-94. 2007..These findings are relevant to understanding the phenomenology of childhood anxiety disorders and may provide insights into the neural circuits underlying these disorders...
- Face-emotion processing in offspring at risk for panic disorderDaniel S Pine
Section on Development and Affective Neuroscience, National Institute of Mental Health Intramural Research Program, Bethesda, MD 20817 2670, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 44:664-72. 2005..This study tested the hypotheses that offspring of parents with PD and offspring with anxiety disorders display relatively greater sensitivity and attention allocation to fear provocation...
- Amygdala and nucleus accumbens activation to emotional facial expressions in children and adolescents at risk for major depressionChristopher S Monk
Department of Psychology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109, USA
Am J Psychiatry 165:90-8. 2008..This study compares amygdala and nucleus accumbens activation in children and adolescents at high and low risk for major depression under varying attentional and emotional conditions...
- Relationship between separation anxiety disorder, parental panic disorder, and atopic disorders in children: a controlled high-risk studyMarcia J Slattery
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry 41:947-54. 2002..To test the hypotheses that rates of atopic disorders are elevated in offspring of parents with panic disorder (PD) and in children with separation anxiety disorder (SAD)...
- Stress responsivity and HPA axis activity in juveniles: results from a home-based CO2 inhalation studyThomas A Terleph
NIMH, NIH, Bldg 15 K, Rm 110, MSC 2670, Bethesda, MD 20817 2670, USA
Am J Psychiatry 163:738-40. 2006..The current home-based study tested the hypothesis that parental panic disorder and offspring response to CO(2) are associated with elevated cortisol levels in juvenile offspring...