Kristine J Steffen
Affiliation: Neuropsychiatric Research Institute
- Predictors of satisfaction with excess skin and desire for body contouring after bariatric surgeryKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 8:92-7. 2012..Furthermore, the present study sought to identify the predictors of which patients might be most desirous of BCS. This was a study conducted at 2 academic research centers...
- A prevalence study and description of alli use by patients with eating disordersKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58103, USA
Int J Eat Disord 43:472-9. 2010..This study examined the frequency and characteristics of alli use among patients in eating disorder treatment facilities...
- Emerging drugs for eating disorder treatmentKristine J Steffen
The Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, 120 8th Street South, PO Box 1415, Fargo, ND 58107, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 11:315-36. 2006..An overview of the current pharmacotherapy options for eating disorders is presented with a discussion of the emerging potential treatments...
- A survey of herbal and alternative medication use among participants with eating disorder symptomsKristine J Steffen
The Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107, USA
Int J Eat Disord 39:741-6. 2006..The purpose of this survey was to collect data on herbal use in participants with eating disorder symptoms...
- The eating disorders medicine cabinet revisited: a clinician's guide to ipecac and laxativesKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107, USA
Int J Eat Disord 40:360-8. 2007..To describe the frequency of alternative medication use in bulimia nervosa (BN), and to review available nonprescription emetic (ipecac) and laxative products and their potential toxicities...
- An exploration of the effect of modafinil on olanzapine associated weight gain in normal human subjectsJames L Roerig
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 120 South 8th Street, Fargo, ND 58107 1415, USA
Biol Psychiatry 65:607-13. 2009..Modafinil possesses pharmacologic effects that could influence the weight gain associated with SGAs. The objective of this trial was to determine the effect of modafinil on olanzapine-associated weight gain...
- Does the avoidance of body and shape concerns reinforce eating disordered attitudes? Evidence from a manipulation studyScott G Engel
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, USA
Eat Behav 7:368-74. 2006..The results point to the potential causal effects of attention on eating disordered attitudes, in turn suggesting a basis for possible treatment...
- Atypical antipsychotic-induced weight gain: insights into mechanisms of actionJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND, USA
CNS Drugs 25:1035-59. 2011..In addition, work in the genetic area promises to result in a better understanding of the variation in risk associated with different individuals...
- A comparison of the effects of olanzapine and risperidone versus placebo on eating behaviorsJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58107, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:413-8. 2005..Thus, a human feeding lab paradigm utilizing a brief exposure to atypical antipsychotics functions as a method to investigate pharmacologically induced weight gain...
- A comparison of the effects of olanzapine and risperidone versus placebo on ghrelin plasma levelsJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:21-6. 2008..This rejects the hypothesis that ghrelin levels are elevated by the antipsychotic and that this is a potential cause of the weight gain phenomenon...
- New targets in the treatment of anorexia nervosaJames L Roerig
University of North Dakota, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 9:135-51. 2005..Compounds that interact with serotonin, histamine and dopamine receptors may offer unique treatment opportunities. In the future, the manipulation of peptides may add to the therapeutic potential of pharmacotherapy...
- A comparison of duloxetine plasma levels in postbariatric surgery patients versus matched nonsurgical control subjectsJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND 58107 1415, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 33:479-84. 2013..Alteration of the gastrointestinal tract by this procedure suggests a potential for clinically significant alterations in the bioavailability of ingested medications including antidepressants...
- Alcohol abuse and dependence before and after bariatric surgery: a review of the literature and report of a new data setTroy W Ertelt
Department of Psychology, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 4:647-50. 2008..All participant data were collected from patients who had undergone gastric bypass at a Midwestern hospital...
- Blood alcohol concentrations rise rapidly and dramatically after Roux-en-Y gastric bypassKristine J Steffen
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Nursing, and Allied Sciences, North Dakota State University, Fargo, North Dakota Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota Electronic address
Surg Obes Relat Dis 9:470-3. 2013..The objective of this study was to examine the rate and extent of alcohol absorption, particularly in the first 10 minutes after a dose of alcohol...
- Laxative abuse: epidemiology, diagnosis and managementJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Drugs 70:1487-503. 2010..In the case of an eating disorder, referral for psychiatric treatment is essential to lessen the reliance on laxatives as a method to alter weight and shape...
- Is multi-impulsive bulimia a distinct type of bulimia nervosa: Psychopathology and EMA findingsTricia Cook Myers
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107 1415, USA
Int J Eat Disord 39:655-61. 2006..To determine if clinically defined multi-impulsive bulimia (MIB) can be validated using an empirical classification approach...
- Bupropion SR as an Anti-Craving Anti-Obesity AgentKristine Steffen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Longer term implications for the results of this study include the potential investigation of this agent as a therapeutic intervention for conditions such as obesity and binge eating disorder. ..