Kristine J Steffen
Affiliation: Neuropsychiatric Research Institute
- Predictors of satisfaction with excess skin and desire for body contouring after bariatric surgeryKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 8:92-7. 2012..Furthermore, the present study sought to identify the predictors of which patients might be most desirous of BCS. This was a study conducted at 2 academic research centers...
- Emerging drugs for eating disorder treatmentKristine J Steffen
The Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, 120 8th Street South, PO Box 1415, Fargo, ND 58107, USA
Expert Opin Emerg Drugs 11:315-36. 2006..An overview of the current pharmacotherapy options for eating disorders is presented with a discussion of the emerging potential treatments...
- A survey of herbal and alternative medication use among participants with eating disorder symptomsKristine J Steffen
The Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107, USA
Int J Eat Disord 39:741-6. 2006..The purpose of this survey was to collect data on herbal use in participants with eating disorder symptoms...
- The eating disorders medicine cabinet revisited: a clinician's guide to ipecac and laxativesKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107, USA
Int J Eat Disord 40:360-8. 2007..To describe the frequency of alternative medication use in bulimia nervosa (BN), and to review available nonprescription emetic (ipecac) and laxative products and their potential toxicities...
- A prevalence study and description of alli use by patients with eating disordersKristine J Steffen
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58103, USA
Int J Eat Disord 43:472-9. 2010..This study examined the frequency and characteristics of alli use among patients in eating disorder treatment facilities...
- An exploration of the effect of modafinil on olanzapine associated weight gain in normal human subjectsJames L Roerig
University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, 120 South 8th Street, Fargo, ND 58107 1415, USA
Biol Psychiatry 65:607-13. 2009..Modafinil possesses pharmacologic effects that could influence the weight gain associated with SGAs. The objective of this trial was to determine the effect of modafinil on olanzapine-associated weight gain...
- Does the avoidance of body and shape concerns reinforce eating disordered attitudes? Evidence from a manipulation studyScott G Engel
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, USA
Eat Behav 7:368-74. 2006..The results point to the potential causal effects of attention on eating disordered attitudes, in turn suggesting a basis for possible treatment...
- Atypical antipsychotic-induced weight gain: insights into mechanisms of actionJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, ND, USA
CNS Drugs 25:1035-59. 2011..In addition, work in the genetic area promises to result in a better understanding of the variation in risk associated with different individuals...
- A comparison of the effects of olanzapine and risperidone versus placebo on eating behaviorsJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND 58107, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 25:413-8. 2005..Thus, a human feeding lab paradigm utilizing a brief exposure to atypical antipsychotics functions as a method to investigate pharmacologically induced weight gain...
- A comparison of the effects of olanzapine and risperidone versus placebo on ghrelin plasma levelsJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, ND, USA
J Clin Psychopharmacol 28:21-6. 2008..This rejects the hypothesis that ghrelin levels are elevated by the antipsychotic and that this is a potential cause of the weight gain phenomenon...
- New targets in the treatment of anorexia nervosaJames L Roerig
University of North Dakota, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Grand Forks, USA
Expert Opin Ther Targets 9:135-51. 2005..Compounds that interact with serotonin, histamine and dopamine receptors may offer unique treatment opportunities. In the future, the manipulation of peptides may add to the therapeutic potential of pharmacotherapy...
- Alcohol abuse and dependence before and after bariatric surgery: a review of the literature and report of a new data setTroy W Ertelt
Department of Psychology, University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA
Surg Obes Relat Dis 4:647-50. 2008..All participant data were collected from patients who had undergone gastric bypass at a Midwestern hospital...
- Laxative abuse: epidemiology, diagnosis and managementJames L Roerig
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Drugs 70:1487-503. 2010..In the case of an eating disorder, referral for psychiatric treatment is essential to lessen the reliance on laxatives as a method to alter weight and shape...
- Is multi-impulsive bulimia a distinct type of bulimia nervosa: Psychopathology and EMA findingsTricia Cook Myers
Neuropsychiatric Research Institute, Fargo, North Dakota 58107-1415, USA
Int J Eat Disord 39:655-61. 2006..Although the classes failed to differ in bulimic behavior, MIB appears to represent a group of bulimic individuals with significant trauma histories and associated psychopathology...
- Bupropion SR as an Anti-Craving Anti-Obesity AgentKristine Steffen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Longer term implications for the results of this study include the potential investigation of this agent as a therapeutic intervention for conditions such as obesity and binge eating disorder. ..