Edith R Lederman
Affiliation: Naval Medical Center
- Active case detection, treatment of falciparum malaria with combined chloroquine and sulphadoxine/pyrimethamine and vivax malaria with chloroquine and molecular markers of anti-malarial resistance in the Republic of VanuatuMichael H Kinzer
U, S, Naval Medical Research Unit No, 2, Kompleks P2P PLP LITBANGKES, Jl, Percetakan Negara No 29, Jakarta Pusat 10560, Indonesia
Malar J 9:89. 2010..falciparum infection consisting of chloroquine/sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine combination therapy. Chloroquine remains the recommended treatment for Plasmodium vivax...
- Eczema vaccinatum resulting from the transmission of vaccinia virus from a smallpox vaccinee: an investigation of potential fomites in the home environmentEdith Lederman
Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
Vaccine 27:375-7. 2009..Both siblings were found to have serologic evidence of orthopoxvirus exposure. These findings have implications for smallpox preparedness, especially in situations where some household members are not candidates for vaccination...
- Dermatologic conditions of the ill returned traveler: an analysis from the GeoSentinel Surveillance NetworkEdith R Lederman
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Int J Infect Dis 12:593-602. 2008....
- Prevalence of antibodies against orthopoxviruses among residents of Likouala region, Republic of Congo: evidence for monkeypox virus exposureEdith R Lederman
Poxvirus Program, Poxvirus and Rabies Branch, Division for Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 77:1150-6. 2007..5, 95% confidence interval = 7.2-166). Blood collection for serosurveys using NBFS is feasible and practical. Adult activities such as hunting and carcass preparation may play an important role in exposure to Monkeypox virus...
- Combined chloroquine, sulfadoxine/pyrimethamine and primaquine against Plasmodium falciparum in Central Java, IndonesiaEdith R Lederman
US Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Malar J 5:108. 2006..Combining CQ with other drugs, like SP, may provide an affordable, available and effective option where artemisinin-combined therapies (ACT) are not licensed or are unavailable...
- Coccidioidomycosis: a descriptive survey of a reemerging disease. Clinical characteristics and current controversiesNancy F Crum
Clinical Investigation Department, Infectious Disease Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, California 92134 1005, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 83:149-75. 2004..Azole therapy was generally inferior to amphotericin B in disseminated disease. Predictors of permanent disability included African American or Filipino race, central nervous system disease, and bony disease...
- Infections associated with tumor necrosis factor-alpha antagonistsNancy F Crum
Infectious Diseases Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, California, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 84:291-302. 2005..We present 4 patients who developed severe infections during TNF-alpha antagonist therapy, review the literature, and discuss current guidelines for surveillance and prophylaxis...
- Progressive vaccinia: case description and laboratory-guided therapy with vaccinia immune globulin, ST-246, and CMX001Edith R Lederman
National Center for Zoonotic Vector Borne and Enteric Disease, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA, USA
J Infect Dis 206:1372-85. 2012..This case demonstrates the need for continued development of novel anti-orthopoxvirus pharmaceuticals and the importance of both intensive and timely clinical and laboratory support in management of PV...
- Production and validation of durable, high quality standardized malaria microscopy slides for teaching, testing and quality assurance during an era of declining diagnostic proficiencyJason D Maguire
U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2 NAMRU 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Malar J 5:92. 2006..Sets of Giemsa-stained, blood smear slides with systematically verified composite diagnoses would contribute substantially to development of externally validated quality assurance systems for the microscopic diagnosis of malaria...
- ORF virus infection in children: clinical characteristics, transmission, diagnostic methods, and future therapeuticsEdith R Lederman
Division of Viral and Rickettsial Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Pediatr Infect Dis J 26:740-4. 2007..Clinician recognition is important in distinguishing orf infection from life-threatening cutaneous zoonoses. Recently developed molecular techniques provide diagnostic precision and newer topical therapeutics may hasten healing...
- Imported malaria in Jakarta, Indonesia: passive surveillance of returned travelers and military members postdeploymentEdith R Lederman
Parasitic Diseases Program, U S Naval Medical Research Unit No 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
J Travel Med 13:153-60. 2006..Military, forestry, mining, and tourist activities draw Jakarta residents to distant parts of the archipelago with high rates of malaria. Although malaria is a reportable disease in Jakarta, little has been published...
- What is your diagnosis? Disseminated coccidioidomycosisEdith R Lederman
US Naval Medical Research Unit 2, Jakarta, Indonesia
Cutis 77:81, 111-2. 2006
- History of U.S. military contributions to the study of parasitic diseasesNancy F Crum
Infectious Disease Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA 92134, USA
Mil Med 170:17-29. 2005..We review the paramount U.S. military contributions to the understanding of leishmaniasis, filariasis, schistosomiasis, trypanosomiasis, gastrointestinal parasites, intestinal capillariasis, and angiostrongyliasis...
- A cluster of disseminated coccidioidomycosis cases at a US military hospitalNancy F Crum
The Internal Medicine Department, Infectious Diseases Division, Naval Medical Center San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
Mil Med 168:460-4. 2003..5 to 6 months from symptom onset until the diagnosis of coccidioidomycosis. Four of our cases occurred in previously healthy, young active duty members, emphasizing the importance of this mycosis in U.S. military personnel...